Thread: MT vs ML

MT vs ML

Hi,

I've been with MT for almost a year now without any major issues. After the reviews here about Media Layer I decided to contact them and ask them if their application hosting would be able to support my site as MT is doing atm. At the end here was their reply:
    Hello,

After careful consideration, it appears that this site is unsuitable for our environment. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new host. Thanks!

-- Jonathan
    So it seems that their hosting isn't much of a big deal. My site doesn't receive much traffic, maybe a few thousand hits a day. Is anyone here with ML and running monster sites on their servers?

What information did you provide them to solicit that response?

They asked for my website to review it before making that conclusion.

But you have to provide more than just your website. What else did you provide them? (usage metrics, etc.)

They didn't ask for any of that, and thats what I thought was odd.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in MediaLayer.

We can cater to *some* high traffic database driven sites within our shared environment, others may need a dedicated server. Can you please give us your sites URL so we can check it out and perhaps make some recommendations?

As far as your MySQL question - we actually do not restrict nor guarantee RAM usage further than fair use.

Thanks and let us know if you have any further questions.

Jonathan

you can get good search at offers section. most companies will abel to provide solution for you

you can get good search at offers section. most companies will abel to provide solution for you
    Thanks, I'm already doing fine with MT though.

Seems rather funny for you to inquire about Medialayer's plan if you are happy with MT and not really looking to switch; what's your motive there?

And it also seems rather funny that Medialayer can judge a site's activity from the URL alone. I suppose Alexa ratings and the like can offer a fair indication, but without providing resource usages, it seems unlikely that they would outright reject a client.

out of curiosity, are you running a dedicated mysql container with MT?

out of curiosity, are you running a dedicated mysql container with MT?
    No. But in the future I plan to once my site expands.

That's interesting. Can you tell us more about the resource usage of your website?

Quote Originally Posted by ak7861 View Post
    No. But in the future I plan to once my site expands.
    if you arent using a dedicated mysql container - I would highly doubt there would be an issue in ML's environment. I obviously dont have a clue what is going on here - but, just my comments based on what I know of their environment.

Alot of customers we get from MT came to us because they were told they required a dedicated mysql container from MT - and they had no issue what so ever running in our shared environment..

Cant discount your experience with ML's sales department - but, I dont think its fair to say "their hosting isn't much of a big deal" - they may have not been a good for you - but, they are doing some interesting things in shared hosting and it is a little bit of a "more unique" approach...

but, they are doing some interesting things in shared hosting and it is a little bit of a "more unique" approach...
    Approach towards what? Marketing I assume.

Approach towards what? Marketing I assume.
    interesting...

many would argue that selling TB's of transfer in shared hosting that then requires an upgrade to a dedicated container to come anywhere near those allocation levels is an example of clever marketing....

how much transfer is your site actually using? does it exceed the advertised allotments offered by ML? if it does and they suggested your site wasnt a good fit and that you may need a dedicated server - that isnt clever marketing - that is offering EXACTLY what they are marketing...

If MT is a good fit for you - wonderful - but, to dismiss a company actually providing what they are marketing simply because they arent a good fit for you isnt exactly appropriate...

how much transfer is your site actually using? does it exceed the advertised allotments offered by ML? if it does and they suggested your site wasnt a good fit and that you may need a dedicated server - that isnt clever marketing - that is offering EXACTLY what they are marketing...
    If I split the downloads from the applications, it wouldn't take much at all. The applications are not CPU consuming. It doesn't exceed any of the advertised allotments offered by ML either. I'm just curious as to how they calculate whether the site is suitable or not.

If I split the downloads from the applications, it wouldn't take much at all. The applications are not CPU consuming. It doesn't exceed any of the advertised allotments offered by ML either. I'm just curious as to how they calculate whether the site is suitable or not.
    honestly, I am a little confused by this as well. I know for certain that they can accomodate sites alot of the bigger companies cannot. I am not doubting what you have said, but, I find this all a little strange. Short of horrible scripting - there should be no issue running a DB site on their systems that fall within their advertised resource allotments. Possible miscommunication here?

ak7861,

I'd just like to clarify that the reasoning for not accepting this website is NOT due to resource/CPU usage. Beyond that, I have found your ticket and am reviewing it.

Thank you,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ak7861,

I'd just like to clarify that the reasoning for not accepting this website is NOT due to resource/CPU usage. Beyond that, I have found your ticket and am reviewing it.

Thank you,
    Thank you for your response. Looking forward to your review.

Thank you for your response. Looking forward to your review.
    You should have our latest reply in your inbox.

Regards,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    You should have our latest reply in your inbox.

Regards,
    Thank you for the clarification and the free one month offer. Just for everyone's information:
    Jonathan had originally not accepted your website for content reasons online. While from what I can see there is no content on your website that is against our policies, similar sites have been the target of large-scale DDoS attacks from past experience.
    Yes, all my content is legal and have dedicated rights. Thanks once again.

Glad to hear it turned out ok. I know that MediaLayer's infrastructure can handle a lot.