New Computer Case Question

Hi,

I have a LOUD Dell Dimension 2400.

I heard that the Antec Sonata III cases were good at concealing the noise.

I think it's possible to swap the guts of my Dell into that Sonata case, but I'm not sure. I've never tried anything like that before. Is it possible?

Any A+ pros willing to give me a hint?

Much thanks.

I thought Dell uses the standard motherboard configs (atx // micro-atx)?? if that is the case then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are really concerned about the noise, I would look at the hardware you have right now (IE: Fans) and see about getting something that runs quieter.

(btw; I was @ 666 posts and had to find something to get off of 666 haha)

More than likely if you were to reply your fans, power supply and cpu fan you might be just as happy... or even happier. Putting crappy components in a new case won't make the noise go away... unless the new case comes with all of that... depends on the cost (for me at least). Don't know if I'd spend the money for a dell dem... replacing the power supply might do it for you... some cheap ones are very loud.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

The Sonata series is certainly quieter than Dell, but the fan noise is still substantial due to the open nature of the top and rear exhaust openings. the 120mm fans help, but if it's fan noise that bugs you, it isn't perfect. Still a good case, but that PSU mount at the bottom is kind of odd for routing the wiring. Not sure if the III has that. Mine was the II.

As for switching the Dell components, in all the Dells I'd bought (last one a few years ago), the mobo was actually riveted to the case, and not screwed in, so probably useless for switching.
    The last box I built (using it right now to type this) cost me around $5-600 in parts, including the Sonata case.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

De Nada

Quote Originally Posted by platinumn23 View Post
    "(btw; I was @ 666 posts and had to find something to get off of 666 haha)"
    Well you couldn't have picked a better post for it. Thanks.

The noise in the Dell isn't the fan or the power supply - the power supply is new and I tested the fan noise by unplugging the fan briefly during a power-up. It's just an annoying high-pitched whine that has constantly gotten worse over time.

[i]"As for switching the Dell components, in all the Dells I'd bought (last one a few years ago), the mobo was actually riveted to the case, and not screwed in, so probably useless for switching."</i>

Thanks for the valuable info, everyone.

I was afraid of that and better double check. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Last edited by rougy; 01-03-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rougy
    It's just an annoying high-pitched whine that has constantly gotten worse over time.
    Sometimes that sort of noise is caused by bearings in a fan or drive that are going bad. I'd suggest trying to track it down and make sure it's nothing serious. Open the case, start the system, and use a rolled up piece of paper to listen to where the noise is coming from. Usually you can isolate it pretty well that way.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

I have swapped a Dell motherboard out of a dell case before but it was a pain to say the least. While mine was not quite as secured as bear's was it was not a standard atx mounting so I ended up having to rig it into the new case.

With it all said and done I should have just kept it in the dell case.

As for the sound bear had some good advice with the rolled up paper. I will have to use that next time I have an issue like this.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

I have a Cooler Master Cosmos and it's damn near silent. But it's also damn near impossible to lug around and is the size of a small child.
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

I have a Sonata I and it's a really good case. But I would suggest you to buy an NZXT Hush case, they're even quieter because they have some noise dampening material(google for some reviews) and look kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by misticil View Post
    I have a Cooler Master Cosmos and it's damn near silent. But it's also damn near impossible to lug around and is the size of a small child.
    I can vouch for the awesomeness of that case, it is *beastly*. Looks amazing, eerily quiet, and keeps things quite cool (based on the temp readouts with SpeedFan over 30min or so while playing Crysis on misticil's PC). However, I've heard good things about the Sonata as well.

As for whether you'd be able to transfer the mobo from your old box into a new case, as long as the mobo's form factor is ATX or a variety of ATX, you shouldn't experience any difficulties. I've recently done this with an HP mobo, and have heard of it being done with Dell mobos as well.