A good webhosting form Joomla!?

Hello,

I have my site on bluehost.com and I'm always with a message that shuts down my site and shows this:
    "You have exceeded your CPU quota". I've upgraded tu a superior CPU quota and it still shows that stupid message! I'm sick and tired of that message!!!!My site: saladosprofessores.com

Could you please recommend me a good webhosting where I will not have this problem?? I have Joomla! and SMF with 10.000 members.

Thank you,
    Raul Nunes

What is your budget?

Not new but.

Maybe moving to a dedicated server or a vps from slicehost might do.

Moving to a dedicated server will be the best decision. Most shared host's have the CPU usage limit. Search around the offers section.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

I have a friend whose hosting their Joomla CMS with S5 without a problem. A few others are with DH. I can recommend MT as well.

i think best option to go for VPS or dedicated.

How many members/visitors do you have online at the same time?

people are recommending dedicated servers?

wow - simply wow - are these the same people that call hosts with more "reasonable" packages too small to compete?

rucanunes - you do not need to spend all of that money on a dedicated server nor do you need to deal with the hassles of running and managing a VPS. May I ask how much traffic you are getting to your Joomla site? Any host geared towards application hosting can probably handle this requirement. Just shop for packages selling the amount of disk space and bandwidth you require vs some massively oversold package. Maybe take a look at rochen or medialayer. I think a proper shared hosting environment for application hosting will save you a ton of money over something like a dedicated server - especially since I am willing to bet you dont need anything close to a dedicated server.

10000 members on a forum is pretty substantial, Andrew. If his forum has relatively of a turnover rate and there are dozens or hundreds of those members on at the same time, it's very conceivable that he has outgrown basic shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    10000 members on a forum is pretty substantial, Andrew. If his forum has relatively of a turnover rate and there are dozens or hundreds of those members on at the same time, it's very conceivable that he has outgrown basic shared hosting.
    Hi Illustrious,

I completely understand what you are saying. But, 10,000 members or 100,000 members does little to indicate actual usage (which is why I asked for bandwidth numbers in order to get a better indication).

I am out on a limb here because I know the resource limits of that particular host - and if they are just triggering this a few times per day - their site will not be an issue at all - as those resource limits are very very low...

just calling a hunch here because I can almost guarantee what the situation is - if they were triggering those limits more then a few times per day - they would have already been removed from that environment and not be given the option of staying...

I agree with Cartika. I host a forum that has (at some periods) over 400 members online at one time and it runs fine on a $25 reseller plan with ResellerZoom (along with about half a dozen other fairly popular sites on the account)
    Site5 works very well with Joomla installations as well, if you'd like I can send you the domain of a Joomla site I run with them. DH tends to run a little bit slow with Joomla, but it's not intolerable and it's a fun, honest company to use.

I'm not really familiar with the resource limits of Bluehost. I do know they have a CPU time limitation, but the percentage of server resources that you can actually use (I believe) is fairly substantial, such as 20%. In terms of massive oversellers, I think Bluehost/Hostmonster is pretty middle of the road, if not leaning towards the better end of customer service.

Your hunch may be right, and it's probably a distinct possibility, but it could also be that his site really does take up a substantial amount of resources over the course of a day and would need a platform such as yours to support it (if not a VPS).

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post

Your hunch may be right, and it's probably a distinct possibility, but it could also be that his site really does take up a substantial amount of resources over the course of a day and would need a platform such as yours to support it (if not a VPS).
    Hi Illustrious, you may indeed be correct - I have just seen this too many times - but, I did jump the gun - without hard numbers, it is far too early to draw any conclusions... thanks as always for the perspective... and if I am way off on this, I would have no issue admitting it...

cheers for now...

Yeah seriously, those who advised dedicated either want to market their company or are too paranoid about shared hosting.

Here's my mysql_slow_queries log of just a small period of time:

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:54 2008
    # Query_time: 1 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 1 Rows_examined: 1
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-1085.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:55 2008
    # Query_time: 1 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 2 Rows_examined: 2
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-2429.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:56 2008
    use saladosp_joomla;
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-3780.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:57 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-4912.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:58 2008
    # Query_time: 1 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 0
    UPDATE jos_redirection SET cpt=(cpt+1) WHERE `newurl` = 'index.php?option=com_smf&action=boardrecount'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:59 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-1248.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:58:59 2008
    # Query_time: 1 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 3960
    SELECT /*!40001 SQL_NO_CACHE */ t.ID_BOARD, m.ID_MSG
    FROM (`saladosp_joomla`.smf_messages AS m, `saladosp_joomla`.smf_topics AS t)
    WHERE t.ID_TOPIC = m.ID_TOPIC
    AND m.ID_MSG > 66000
    AND m.ID_MSG <= 68000
    AND m.ID_BOARD != t.ID_BOARD

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:00 2008
    SELECT oldurl FROM jos_redirection WHERE newurl = 'index.php?option=com_google_maps'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:00 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-2550.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:01 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-3830.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:02 2008
    use saladosp_joomla;
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-5023.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:04 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-958.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:05 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-2388.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:06 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-3708.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:07 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-4949.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:09 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-1313.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:11 2008
    use saladosp_joomla;
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-3939.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:12 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/modifykarma-5084.html'

# Thu Jan 3 03:59:13 2008
    SELECT newurl, Itemid FROM jos_redirection WHERE oldurl = 'smf/warnadd-73.html'

I had the same problem on BlueHost and my site was exceeding the CPU about 20 times a day. I ended up upgrading at BlueHost to a High speed server and it has not gone down once in the last two months. High CPU servers at BlueHost are $20 a month. I think it is well worth it, but I do hate the fact that BlueHost is a Mormon company.

My only problem is my site Gloom Magazine is a modeling and photography community and people always want to post nude pictures that are 18+ and BlueHost has Zero tollerace for that kind of stuff on there servers.

I for one like that BlueHost doesn't allow nudes on their servers. Mormon or not, there is enough of that online already IMO.

Anyway... I think the issue you are talking about could be resolved if you worked the ladder at BlueHost better. I've found that calling them gets better results than reporting problems. I also have the high CPU plan for my companies site, a Joomla/SMF/WordPress laden beast of a site. I was having CPU exceed errors and then had them do some tweaking to find out the issues.

It had more to do with funky scripts I had installed with Joomla than it did my site actually being overloaded. I would be willing to bet that mysql is working extra hard sorting through data and some bad stuff and that is causing your error. Open up your Joomla DB in phpmyadmin and run a repair. This should make your forums run faster.

We don't have that much traffic... but with 225k posts on our forum we aren't tiny either. And we run as fast today on BlueHost as the day we started.