* VPSLand... are they really that bad?

Hi all,

I have been looking for a VPS Hoster for a while now and came across VPSLand.com because they provide all the features that I needed:

- 512mb RAM
    - 5GB Disk
    - Plesk Control Panel
    - Webmail for my Clients
    - Windows 2003 Server OS
    - RDP
    - $25 per month!!
    - ETC...

I then read reviews of the hoster and found that they have been receiving bad reviews all over the place! some as recent as November 2007.

Mt question is, are they really that bad? are people also having alot of success with them?

I really need to find a VPS host with ALL the requirements stated above... are there any other hosters providing this for only $25 per month?

SR5k!
    SuperRobot5000

I haven't tried them, but that's because all the reviews are bad. So if that many people have given terrible reviews of them, that's enough to scare me away. I hope it does for you too, but if you're really curious and don't mind loosing that money, you could give it a shot and then post a review about them. I admit though, the prices are VERY tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Good luck!

Just remember, if it's openvz and there is no burstable RAM you won't actually be able to use that full 512MB of RAM, since it will only allow you to allocate that. Programs allocate more than they use.

there is so much incorrect _technical_ information about openvz on this forum, its ridiculous. the fact that is spouted by web hosts, is saddening.

Just remember, if it's openvz and there is no burstable RAM you won't actually be able to use that full 512MB of RAM, since it will only allow you to allocate that.
    depending on the providers vmguar and privvm config, you may or may not be able to allocate/overallocate your "guaranteed" memory. read the openvz wiki...

I'm an admin on the openvz forum, the develoeprs there asked me to stay on top of misconceptions about VZ and openvz on this forum, as it ranks high with google and consists of many people who know less then nothing giving their expert opinions on technical information about swsoft's product.

I don't think there was any misconception in my saying. I use VZ extensively. They are going by the privvmpages limit which is allocated RAM. Most companies offer burstable RAM by setting the privvmpages higher and allowing users to allocate more RAM, VPSLand from my understanding does not do this. That is why I told the user this.

You cannot set vmguarpages by its own because it does not limit RAM, if you use OpenVZ you should know this. Set privvmpages to 999999 and vmguarpages/oomguarpages to 131072 and you will be able to use much more than 512MB. There won't be a limit to your RAM until either the system runs out of RAM or you hit the 999999 privvmpages limit.

You cannot set vmguarpages by its own because it does not limit RAM, if you use OpenVZ you should know this
    which is exactly why i had said:
    "depending on the providers vmguar and privvm config"

maybe you should read posts completely prior to adding your opinion?

these are conflicting statements by you:
    Most companies offer
    if it's openvz and there is
    (meaning all openvz providers, and openvz itself)

I don't know why you feel the need to argue, but what I said was exact. If there is no burstable memory it means their privvmpages is not more than their vmguarpages which causes problems when you need to use all of your RAM because it limits you by what you allocate not use.

Maybe you should consider doing the same?

Note that the OP is asking about the Windows VPS, which is powered by Virtuozzo and has none of these privvmpages/vmguarpages mess.

Purchased a windows vps from them. Restarted it via the control panel and now the VPS has hung in reboot mode. They said only way to fix this is by rebooting the node which they don't wish to do. So this leaves me without a windows vps because there Support is so bad.

I'd advise people to spend a bit more and get the service you require

Regards
    Craig
    irc.seviro.com

Well, I took the plunge & went with VPSland several months ago after having a lot of issues with Shared servers & I have to say another one of my BIGGEST MISTAKES EVER!!

I have had to manually stop & restart the VPS at least once a week because something would go wrong & my site would slow down to the point where I would get errors, I stop & restart & everything works fine again

then this past week I was finding my site offline every couple of hours again I would stop & restart the VPS without a hitch but to top it off, I put in a ticket about it & was advised that I should never see the issue again

2 hours after receiving that reply sites down again & again & again, then when I requested they move me to a new server & told them I wasn't happy my ticket dissapeared from the face of the earth so there is now nothing about my recent server issues in the ticketing system

Not even worthy of a reponce, obviously too hard basket for that one

I have taken the liberty of purchasing with another more well known host & as soon as I have the time will be transferring my sites across

VPSLand may be cheaper than most but its what they don't offer that is lacking, customer support when needed

This was my first ever experience with VPS & its an experience I could have done without

i have used them before, support is woefull, server times are really bad, just not a good company to deal with, when i first starated with them they were ok, but then i lost the will to live with them

Quote Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
    This was my first ever experience with VPS & its an experience I could have done without
    Try not to let it put you off VPS's completely. There are many good providers of Windows (and Linux) VPS's around who can help you. The technology is great, but you need to find a provider who knows how to manage it, and is sensible in the way they do this.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Finally my vps returned. logged in via terminal and had loads of errors so restarted and my gosh it hung again. I've been a customer for 4days now and my vps has only been up for 14hours so far. Someone give these guys a hand and buy them out
    irc.seviro.com

Hi!
    Yes..it is true. Horrible support. I still to this day do not understand why all these password resets??? I don't lose passwords..and had constant problems logging in.

Never again.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

They are offering 50% off the first month. It costs merely $12.50 to try a 512MB VPS running Windows 2003 Enterprise. And you may ask your money back during the first 14 days or cancel at any time. IMO it is a very low price to get first-hand information.

PS: From the 512MB only 70MB are allocated to the OS/IIS.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    ...you may ask your money back during the first 14 days or cancel at any time. IMO it is a very low price to get first-hand information.
    very good point, but i can't see myself wasting my time setting everything up on the vps if everyone else is saying that the service is rubbish.

i asked vpsland about all the bad reviews they are receiving, and they came back saiding that negative reviews are most-likely posted by their competitors because they are jealous that vpsland is so strong in the vps market. pretty weak response if you ask me.
    SuperRobot5000

Their support is awful. And the VPS's aren't much better. I'm currently looking for somewhere else to host, because i'm that *censored by mee* off with them. They've messed me around so much .
    George Pearce | Get Started Blogging
    Twitter me - @pearce

I have no experience with VPSLand, but in the general grand scheme of things, in my opinion, support is a critical factor in finding a VPS. If you dig through the VPS Offers forum, you'll find a number of companies offering outstanding plans on both Windows and Linux. Then -- as you're doing -- search through here for reviews. It goes without saying that you need to take every review with a grain of salt. And yes, I'm sure competitors come in and post bad reviews about other companies. But you have to consider this:

Why doesn't *every* successful host have a ton of bad reviews from their competitors? And all things being equal, where are the company's *good* reviews?

Finally, let me say this: The only thing better than having outstanding tech support is never needing to call tech support in the first place. For my money, I'll pay an extra $5 or $10 if it means going with a good company.

The question is: why you need support? Probably there are a lot of newbies used do XP whining support to do trivial W2K3 things. While I guess you can't expect much from support paying $25 /month I think you rarely need support if you know you are doing. In fact, you need support just in the case of hardware failures.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    The question is: why you need support? Probably there are a lot of newbies used do XP whining support to do trivial W2K3 things. While I guess you can't expect much from support paying $25 /month I think you rarely need support if you know you are doing. In fact, you need support just in the case of hardware failures.
    I don't know if this was directed at me, but I'll try to answer it universally. What about billing questions? What about errors during the OS imaging phase? What about a failure of the VPS software? What about a DDoS attack? What about adding / removing features and upgrades? The simple truth is that nobody knows what they'll need support for until they need it.

And for the record, my VPS provider gives me incredible support at $20 / mo.

floor-9.com, who is your provider?
    SuperRobot5000

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRobot5000 View Post
    floor-9.com, who is your provider?
    I don't think it would be appropriate for me to come into a thread about another provider's problems and post names (especially when I'm in my new provider's affiliate program). Suffice to say, there are quality VPS providers who offer well-rounded packages in the $20 - $25 price range who really know how to treat their customers.

@ floor-9.com

I did post my message before I read your post. It was not a comment about your message and I agree 100% with you that "the only thing better than having outstanding tech support is never needing to call tech support in the first place."

VPSLand is an allright company i went with them for awhile and just fell off the face of the earth.

To the OP : If You are in a Windows VPs hunt, I can recommend hostingamerica.com's VPS plans, I have been using one for a month now, and its smooth and their promotions can save you big bucks.

They're getting bad

I had nothing but good to say about VPSLand until I tried to purchase a new account recently.

I got a Xen VM through VPSLand 2 years ago and have had no complaints. They were very helpful and their recently added Xen panel UI is good. My VPS is performant, stable, and competitively priced. Their service when I have needed it was prompt and helpful.

But I tried to order a new VPS recently. I received 5 notices saying my order was accepted, my credit card was billed, etc. But I never got a login. I politely asked how long it would take to provision, and after 2 ambiguous answers, was finally told on the third try that my order had been discarded for suspected fraud. No explanation, and no official notice. Just an offhand comment from a support tech. They did eventually clear it up and say they had reactivated my account and I needed to resubmit my order. So I tried that. It didn't work. I tried creating a new account and placing a new order, but have gotten no response. I finally gave up today and went with Linode. I'm still not sure if I have a debit on my credit card that I may have to dispute.

I found out that VPSLand has recently "upgraded" their billing system, and that may have caused problems with my old account. I suspect that the billing changeove, and a provisioning process that needs to get some kinks worked out are the only issues, and that eventually they'll provide good service again. Additionally, ordering between Christmas and New Year may have led to insufficently support.

As I said, I have no complaints with my existing account via VPSLand, and went through considerable effort to give them more business. However, it seems they are not capable (or willing to) accept my business at this time.

In my opinion their issues are procedural rather than technical. I can't speak for their Virtuozzo or Windows accounts, however.

-Aaron Evans
    one-shore.com

Well now a couple of days after my last post, my sites have been offline & online again 1-2 times a day, just an hour ago my pages stopped responding & I couldn't even access my server login to restart my VPS as per usual (Coincedence that whilst my servers where down, Live support were offline)

I still have never received the dignity of a reply to my complaints re having to restart my servers, I was happy with them with a simple bronze account which was only 256M ram Linux as all was going well but seeing I added extra stuff (a small arcade with 20 games for my members) all whcih didin't show any drain on the system I decided to be safe & up to 512meg

That's when all this server issues started, started getting smptDos attacks (according to them) & instead of telling me how it happened or how I can avoid it happening they simply got site going & sent a reply stating "it was a ddoss attack, has been fixed & won't happen again" then same time following week, same thing

just so slow & I am tired of the constant resets I am doing twice daily as I can't be online every day, thankfully my new service with a better known company is primed & ready for my transfer, I look forward to doing that after this weekend & saying goodbye to VPSland 4 eva

truley horrible service, I used to get better support from Shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
    Well, I took the plunge & went with VPSland several months ago after having a lot of issues with Shared servers & I have to say another one of my BIGGEST MISTAKES EVER!!

I have had to manually stop & restart the VPS at least once a week because something would go wrong & my site would slow down to the point where I would get errors, I stop & restart & everything works fine again

then this past week I was finding my site offline every couple of hours again I would stop & restart the VPS without a hitch but to top it off, I put in a ticket about it & was advised that I should never see the issue again

2 hours after receiving that reply sites down again & again & again, then when I requested they move me to a new server & told them I wasn't happy my ticket dissapeared from the face of the earth so there is now nothing about my recent server issues in the ticketing system

Not even worthy of a reponce, obviously too hard basket for that one

I have taken the liberty of purchasing with another more well known host & as soon as I have the time will be transferring my sites across

VPSLand may be cheaper than most but its what they don't offer that is lacking, customer support when needed

I used VPSland for a long time with no problems with there support on both the windows side and linux side till i got into it my self but i would recomend them i never had any issue with the reposnse was slow on weekends but other than tah never had a problem i used them till i out grew them
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Well here we are, Wednesday of the following week, just started backing up my entire site today as I have started moving to a new server & now low & behoild my site is offline again & I can't even reboot it as my control panel tells me I have but my site is not loading

*waits patiently for response to yet another ticket re same problem still not fixed*

Honestly people, don't waste your time with VPSLand, they are a load of Crap

Regarding VPSLand. They have non-competent support team. I had to talk to them about a week to get know that they block OUTBOUND TCP port 1080 and they are not going to unblock it. But I lost a week to find a proof that they block, that this is not my software fault.

So far I've made refund and switched to another VPS provider.

I used VPSLand for about 4 months and never had a problem. My support tickets were answered in a decent amount of time and didn't have problems with the server (windows vps). Signed up for the lite plan then upgraded later to their starter plan without a problem. I used the vps as a backup, I wasn't expecting much for the price but I never ran into a problem.