do I have to have a cpanel for vps

Do I have to have a cpanel for vps?

I recently tried vps on a server, but wasn’t told I needed cpanel. I have been a host on windows, and also share hosted with many other companies, but not Linux before, so didn’t know if I needed it (thought it might just be bells and whistles)

I was then told I wouldn’t be able to use the server without vps, so I cancelled.

Is vps always Linux based? and do I always need cpanel

(I though some sort of ftp, and phpmyadmin for mysql might be all I needed, if these accounts are pre-setup)

No, you don't need cPanel for a VPS

VPS isn't always Linux based, and cPanel isn't needed. If you can administer a VPS (much like working with a dedicated server, root access) then a control panel isn't needed. However, if you're a newbie, then you might want a control panel.

You can definitely get a Windows VPS if that's what you prefer. See the VPS offers and look for those that say Windows.

Windows is less common than Linux in hosting, but it definitely exists.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

I would't have thought I was a newbie, since I have hosted, and can set anything I need up (php mysql apache phpmyadmin ...)

But I'm a newbie when it comes to linux, but it's always much cheaper, and have heard more reliable... Is it worth me leaning how to set everything up for vps on linux?

I'd say it's worth learning how to work with linux. Just being able to set things up though is still a bit iffy because unknown/unexpected things can happen and then you won't know what to do. To be safe, I recommend going with a managed provider. That way, you can set things up but if something does happen that you don't know how to solve, you can contact your provider.

It's up to you whether you want Linux or Windows, but unless you really, really need Windows (ASP.NET,etc) then Linux would be a good choice since it's cheaper.

You do not need to have cPanel for a vps. You can have Directadmin or any free control panel such as Webmin.

Or ISPconfig another free control panel, but if you are planning to sell hosting then better go with WHM/cPanel or DirectAdmin.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence