How can I trust any host

I'm looking for a new host, but have come across so many people promoting their selves or others (which turn out to be their selves)

How can I really trust anyone that tells me they x or y is a good host?

One way I though of is to check various sites hosted by the company, with the same deal I am considering (on shared hosting).

check their sql queries, and check at peak times.

But so many host are sworn to a privacy agreement. So what the best way of find a good trustable host

A "good" host is one that fits your needs....period. There are those that do not require the service levels and crucial uptime that others may require and can go with budget hosts. For others this is not an option and there are other hosts that service those needs. It all depends on what is of importance, as you will find trade-offs with all. Some in the level of quality, and some in the amount of $$ you must shell out. It all depends on what is important to you.

If you ask here for budget hosting recommendations, you will find people are pretty straightforward. Same goes if you need quality service...

Quote Originally Posted by MrTuition View Post
    I'm looking for a new host, but have come across so many people promoting their selves or others (which turn out to be their selves)
    If a review posted on WHT lasts more than a few hours, chances are it's a valid review. Multiple reviews from different users carry more weight than just a single review. Reviews from users with higher post counts generally carry more weight as well.

The only place hosts can tout their own horn, is in the advertising forums.

One way I though of is to check various sites hosted by the company, with the same deal I am considering (on shared hosting).
    That's not such a bad request. I agree client privacy may make that request a little harder to fulfill, but a host should be able to give you a few examples.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

its hard to tell what budget is, Iím willing to spend £15 per month, not too much more (so I guess thatís budget) but I have seen much much cheaper

Cheaper is not typically better. There are exceptions, of course, but it's kind of rare. That budget seems quite reasonable (if you're talking shared hosting), and should afford you a somewhat better host.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Cool

Most hosts are readily willing to provide you with other long-time customers who have sites/needs similar to yours and you can contact them as to their satisfaction and if they feel the host is "honest".
    (These would be people who do not mind their "privacy" being disclosed for reference purposes)
    You can do a DNS lookup or Whois to confirm that site is actually hosted by the company if you are skeptical.

Of course you didn't define "honest" so we don't know what your bad experiences were but at $15 you should be able to find a good, dependable, host you can trust for most "average" sites. (If you're not expecting dedicated server resources from a shared hosting plan )
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I think a good host can be determined by:

• Beeing honest about outages/errors/updates/downtime on a blog or by mail
    • Have quick and satisfying replies to tickets
    • Has no overloaded server(s)
    • Makes sure the clients websites are loading fast, always
    • Don't bankrupt you with overages
    • Don't over- or underprice their services

There are, a lot of other factors that come along, but these are in my opinion the most important points.

//EDIT

Funny that DDT is replying just above me. I remembered sending him an email once, just to ask some presales questions. I got a full blown reply back who they are, what they do best etc etc and it didn't looked copy-pasted at all. So, yes, that's what I like as well
    hi there!

I think what sets WHT apart from a lot of so-called "review" sites is that the main boards really are kept pretty clean from self-promotion. One quick way to decide how much weight to give an opinion you see on WHT is to look at the poster's post count and to see what else they've posted.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

(thats £15 not $15) since Im looking for a uk host for SEO reasons

A forum can often tell the truth. I went to this one hosting company, and they were deleteing any bad post on their forum. I quickly left, your right, Honesty means alot

once you find a company you like, you can always google a company to learn more about them...
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

It's hard to trust hosts as there is so much room for B.S. involved.

For instance:
    Top 10 hosts are 90% of the time based on how much a company would pay to be the number 1 host and not actual stats. Its rather ironic that some of the bigger review sites are owned by hosting companies.

WHT has good & bad reviews. Theres people signing up and reviewing themselves, theres people who have no idea what they are doing trashing their host, for instance people complaining their site hasn't work for 30 days yet they only had hosting for 20 (You get the picture). The value of WHT has decreased with the increase of kiddies running around.

By finding out if a company is actually registered (Legally register company) or not, that should rule out a lot of bad hosts.

Don't go with hosts that oversell. Don't choose the cheapest hosts. Check for how long has the company been running for. But don't forget the newer the company the better speed you will get. That is if they are not reselling and have their own dedicated server.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

IMO you can trust a hosting company if they are like your electric utility. You take for granted there is electric energy and *never* think about this. And in the rare occurrence of a power outage you "know" that there is a good explanation for the blackout and you "know" the company is doing everything to fix the problem as fast as possible. More important, you "know" will not occur another power outage for a long time.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-02-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

There are number of factors to consider when selecting a web host

1. How much money you want to spend on a web host?
    2. How much storage you want for your website
    3. Bandwith constraints which are either a limit to the amount of data that visitors are allowed to view from your site over a period of time,
    4. Server up time percentage
    5. Technical Support

after you filter the web hosts based on your needs you can search them through forums to see whether they're reliable or not.

When making the final decision, you have to trust your gut a little bit. You might have problems no matter what company you choose (depending on what type of customer you are and so many other factors). Don't expect that very good hosting companies never have any problems. They do, and you can see that on forums like WHT where people express their frustration.

What you should look for when looking for reviews is the proportion of good vs bad. If that satisfies you and the host meets your requirements, go for it.

How can I really trust anyone that tells me they x or y is a good host?
    Cynically speaking, you can't.

Take note of some of the tips given here, do your homework, and go with your gut. Good luck and good hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb View Post
    It's hard to trust hosts as there is so much room for B.S. involved.

For instance:
    Top 10 hosts are 90% of the time based on how much a company would pay to be the number 1 host and not actual stats. Its rather ironic that some of the bigger review sites are owned by hosting companies.
    Thats exactly what Im talking about, Im better of marking all the people i cant trust by the ones I find on "top 10 lists" its so hard to tell