Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* FrontDrive.com = Best Host Ever! >>> MY EXPERIENCES WITH THEM

I've been hosted with FrontDrive.com for nearly two weeks now and they have without a doubt been the best host i've ever had. I'll admit... at first I thought they were going to be another quick fix host, because of their incredible deals they offered (650MB / 20GB for $10 a month) but how wrong I was. Not only are they able to backup their prices with an incredibily solid hosting experience, but their uptime and professional attitudes make it 10 times better. The downtime with them has been great also, I think my site was down for like, 20 minutes total in the entire time i've been with them. Far better than 99%!

The reason i'm posting this review, however, isn't because of their great prices... or their reliable servers... or even because of their features, but rather, it's because of their amazing effort to go that extra mile to help ensure customer satisfaction. Earlier I had what I thought was a very large problem with my site, which involved mass proxy attacks. Needless to say, I was very upset when I logged on and saw I had 19GB of BW accumulated and didn't really know what to do. Not only did Jay spend about 40 minutes on AIM helping me figure out how to combat them, but he also credited my account back the bandwidth and didn't even think twice about doing it! Now... I know there are probably alot of other hosts who would do this type of thing too, but i've never had a host do this for me.

Anyways, I am extremely happy with them and I even added a link to them on my site just cause they went that extra mile to provide me with a great hosting experience. Their entire tech support team knows what they are doing, especially Jay and they are definately the best host i've been with. I hope this review will help others who are trying to decide whether or not to go with them.

For those interested, my site is http://www.battleforums.com so you can check out the speed / reliability of the servers.

Thanks,
    Adam
      0 Not allowed!

Two weeks? Shouldn't you give them a bit longer before you commit to any reviews you may make
    Jim
      0 Not allowed!

I guess he is just excited to have a decent host for once. I know the feeling. Some hosts start out good and get bad, but many hosts start out bad too, you know.
    I recently got an account with them for my personal site. When I put in a help ticket to get an dedicated IP. I got my IP in a few hours.
    So far, so good.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."
      0 Not allowed!

nice to hear people are happy with their host
      0 Not allowed!

Nice looking forum
    Norm Sherman @ Netacore
    Fast/Reliable cPanel hosting on premium bandwidth
    http://netacore.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by acidHL
    Two weeks? Shouldn't you give them a bit longer before you commit to any reviews you may make
    Honestly, I was kinda thinking the same thing as I read this, but hey, no complaints here
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

2 weeks?

Ok let me tell you a bit about myself

I've been with 4 different hosts in the past 6 months... none of them even compared to frontdrive. Do you know the feeling when your with a host and your talking to them on AIM and you ask them a question, then they go away and give you an answer to it 5 minutes later... and you can just tell that they copy and pasted the answer off of google or something, heh... I don't get that feeling w/ front drive. Also, the fact that they dont have downtime and they would do something like this and go the extra mile just shows that they care about customer satisfaction. I don't think two weeks is too soon at all. The thread is entiered "Best host ever" and to me, they are (keeping in mind, this is only my opinion and is based on the hosts i've used previously)... anyways, the main point of this review was to try and help people who were in the same position as me to find a good decent host.

Just my opinion... thanks for reading,
    Adam
      0 Not allowed!

hmmm... sounds great, too bad i paid for a year already with my current host. i've been with them for 4 months, they were good in the beginning but now
    uhhh...
      0 Not allowed!

and you can just tell that they copy and pasted the answer off of google or something, heh

I dont see nothing wrong with a host "coping and pasting" a answer,im sure most questions are asked numerous times so why not save some of them and when you need them just paste them to save time.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Nice to see people are happy with their host. Congratulates to FrontDrive on having satisfied clients.

At least they have satisfied customers, and good uptime as I read in different threads.

But what about famous hosts with too many complaints ?? Why iPowerWeb, HostRocket, ReadyHosting and etc. ?
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com
      0 Not allowed!

And the beat goes on...

Hopefully you have found a reliable host that will continue well into the future to deliver the promise of these early experiences you enjoy with their services.

For those with less experience, take some advice from those who have been around, or who just seem to have common sense.
    From acidHL: Two weeks? Shouldn't you give them a bit longer before you commit to any reviews you may make[/i]
    If you are relatively new to finding a host, you should do independent research regardless of the reviews you find here. This research may not always prevent mistakes, but certain red flags should alert you to possible signs of future trouble.

Using frontdrive.com as an example, I start with the basic whois lookup to find this:

Registrant: <<< information available in whois db >>>
    ======================================
    1) Could not find company "frontdrive.com", "Front Drive, Inc.", "FrontDrive", "Front Drive, LLC" in the California Secretary of State records.

2) It's very difficult to serve someone (legally) at a P.O. Box address, unless you want to wait there until they check the mail. And when "info_AT_frontdrive.com" is listed as the Administrative Contact, I question the reasoning behind that "business decision".

3) Calling the phone number gets this response from a robot operator:
    "The mobile number you called in no longer in service."

4) Domain frontdrive.com was created about six months ago. Not that this "company" couldn't have been doing business before that under another name, or that its newness necessarily means a problem, but the fact that this hosting domain is so new, and has #1 and #2 and #3 above already going against it (just my opinion - based on the fact that if I'm giving my credit card number to someone, I'd better have the same reciprocal "trust" from them - in the form of a valid, verifiable business license and a verifiable address and a phone number - that they expect from me when I give them information about myself that could, in the wrong hands, potentially ruin my life).

5) A traceroute ends at Net Access Corporation, which tells me they probably lease a server there, or are reselling for someone else who does. Not that that's necessarily a problem. I am a reseller myself, and have for a year and a half given my 40 clients consistently superior service. They can reach me by phone 24/7/365. They know my business name and address, can look me up in the corporate records, and they know I'm a reseller.

So. I hope your story has a happy ending. Frontdrive.com might be great. But for those who visit this forum for information and guidance, "Buyer Beware".

<<< addressspamedited >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-30-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

Re: And the beat goes on...

JEEZ man Your pretty Hard core!!!!

Last edited by Chicken; 08-10-2002 at 08:58 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: And the beat goes on...

Originally posted by the-muse

So. I hope your story has a happy ending. Frontdrive.com might be great. But for those who visit this forum for information and guidance, "Buyer Beware".
    1) Sent in the paperwork earlier this month, it is still being processed.

2) The PO Box is checked every day. What does the email address listed have to do with anything?

3) Like many other hosts you will encounter, we do not offer phone support.

4) Yes, Front Drive has been in business for only 5 months.

5) One of our servers was with them, though we are making a move to FastServers this week. No clients are on servers at NAC, and no we are not resellers like you.

The smart consumer bases his decisions not on arbitrary facts (not all facts, either -- plenty of things you're completely wrong about) but on the quality of services rendered. Have you seen a single complaint about our hosting services on this board?
    Last edited by FDrive; 08-10-2002 at 02:45 PM.
    Jay &#187; [email protected] • AIM &#187; FDrive Support
    Front Drive&trade; &#187; Advanced multi-domain solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: And the beat goes on...

Originally posted by FDrive
    (5) One of our servers was with them, though we are making a move to FastServers this week. No clients are on servers at NAC, and no we are not resellers like you.
    Let us know how this all goes. Fastservers.net seem to be right on the money. I still love my NAC servers though. Not sure if I trust the he.net network as I do trust NAC.
    The smart consumer bases his decisions not on arbitrary facts (not all facts, either -- plenty of things you're completely wrong about) but on the quality of services rendered. Have you seen a single complaint about our hosting services on this board?
    Don't worry Jay. Keep your head down working hard to serve your clients and let the chips fall where they may.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: And the beat goes on...

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Let us know how this all goes. Fastservers.net seem to be right on the money. I still love my NAC servers though. Not sure if I trust the he.net network as I do trust NAC.

Don't worry Jay. Keep your head down working hard to serve your clients and let the chips fall where they may.
    I recently posted in the Dedicated Hosting Froum about my experiences with FastServers... so far so good. The real test will be having a server with clients on it, though. I'll definately let you know how it goes. NAC definately is an amazing network, I will wait to see how he.net compares.

Thanks for the kind words
      0 Not allowed!

20 minutes downtime in two weeks..? ouch!
    I like to help
      0 Not allowed!

Thoroughness is good.

Originally posted by FDrive

1) Sent in the paperwork earlier this month, it is still being processed.

2) The PO Box is checked every day. What does the email address listed have to do with anything?

3) Like many other hosts you will encounter, we do not offer phone support.

4) Yes, Front Drive has been hosting for only 5 months.

5) One of our servers was with them, though we are making a move to FastServers this week. No clients are on servers at NAC, and no we are not resellers like you.

I strongly disagree. The smart consumer bases his decision on facts AND reputation, just as the-muse stated. I'm not saying you're not a good host either.

I commend the-muse. If people were half that thorough in checking out a host, we'd see far fewer complaints here.

Also, I think it's way premature for your customer to post a raving review after 2 weeks even with his explanation; but I'm glad you have a happy client.
      0 Not allowed!

How Wude!, not you chris, old transaxle host.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Thoroughness is good.

Originally posted by chrisb

I strongly disagree. The smart consumer bases his decision on facts AND reputation, just as the-muse stated. I'm not saying you're not a good host either.

I commend the-muse. If people were half that thorough in checking out a host, we'd see far fewer complaints here.

Also, I think it's way premature for your customer to post a raving review after 2 weeks even with his explanation; but I'm glad you have a happy client.
    The smart consumer investigates. The smart consumer asks the host in question before attacking in a public forum. Some aoler with a chip on her shoulder and a hot copy of visualroute offering up Whois records as a public attack hardly can be considered an investigation.

the-muse never asked anyone from Front Drive about their info in their whois record. Did she ever try asking them for an address? Or a phone number? It's not like Jay's not available. It isn't exactly a chore to contact him and say 'hey, your domain record looks a little funny'. But no. Instead the decision was made, by the-muse to go on the offensive and 'attack'.

Of course, her response to this, as it's been in the past, will be 'well I was merely stating that I wouldn't do business with them. It's only my opinion.' To that, I say, HOGWASH. Your accusations and argumentative attitude towards hosts you've never dealt with speaks volumes.

Attacking like this based on a whois record is irresponsible and stupid. The public at large has absolutely no need to know an address from a whois record. Many hosts work from a home office and therefore would be forced to place their home address on the internet for all to see. That may be all well and good in AOL-land, but where I'm from that's not exactly the best idea.

Potential customers, however, are quite another story. They are not the general public. They are people who are getting ready to both sign a contract and give a credit card number to a host. I will wholeheartedly agree that any host who will not furnish a potential customer with a valid name, address, and phone number SHOULD be reported here. At that point, I'd jump on the-muse's bandwagon and bash away myself.

As far as the business license goes, laws differ from state to state as to what can and cannot be done without a valid business 'license'. Some states don't even require such a thing. Again, this is an issue which should be addressed with the host in question rather than going on the offensive in a forum.

I personally don't give a rat's anteater about Front Drive and who likes/dislikes them. But the fact that you can condone this kind of irresponsible and mindless attack, let alone commend it, is abominable.
    Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-10-2002 at 12:13 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

A little story...

There once was a host called Avail Hosting (availhosting.com) ran by <<< the same person >>>. He started Avail in April ( http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...202#post312202) and went out of business due to a server failure ( http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...threadid=51914 ). 4 days later, Jeremy offered the domain and site design ( http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...threadid=52936 ). No big deal...

...until WHT user 'timechange' noticed that Front Drive had the same design as the old Avail and that availhosting.com and frontdrive.com had the same information in their WHOIS. Read this thread for the reply and some other interesting info -> ( http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...threadid=58809 ).

At the time of the thread, I did a google search on 'availhosting' and it returned a newsgroup message from haze_AT_sketches.org plugging his hosting company, availhosting.com [Note: google doesn't return the result anymore, but it was more than there 3 weeks ago.]

So I access sketches.org and it redirects you to tribby.com. WHOIS on sketches.org and tribby.com match (not to mention Frontdrive.com). FYI, <<< the same person >>> is a moderator over at Aletia Forums.

Again, searching via google for "haze_AT_sketches.org" returns a site clmacros.com - same WHOIS at the other 3 in this story. Here's a quote from the site:

news:
    Woohoo! Summer! As soon as I finish working on Front Drive, I'm going to re-do clmacros.com. I mean, it's not like I'll have anything better to do during classes this summer. So, thank you to all of you patient Clan Lordians, the new clmacros.com is on its way. :: Haze :: 6/22/2002
    Now, 3 weeks ago when I was doing all of this - Google's cache had cached the site sometime in April or May. The news had that they were working on availhosting.com. Unfortunetly, Google has cached the current front page since then.

FDrive states that they've been in business for 5 months in this thread and there are other threads from FDrive that go along with that as well (example: http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...851#post408851). How so? If frontdrive.com started after Avail went down - that would be 2 months ago... but it would be 5 if you included since Avail began.

Add it up...

Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-30-2005 at 04:46 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, Jeremy, the guy from Avail, is running Front Drive with me. He's my roommate and I helped him out with Avail, now he's helping me out with Front Drive. He's a server whizz so he's been instrumental in Front Drive's success. We had wanted to keep that kind of low key since he was still pretty upset about the whole Avail thing when Front Drive started and didnt want to bring me down with Front Drive.

Honestly, I don't see why it's even worth mentioning. What's your point, vipe?
      0 Not allowed!

The point is that Front Drive has not been in business for 5 months like you claim among other things.

And what's going to happen if Front Drive has a server failure ala Avail?
    Modest Mouse Talk
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by vipe
    The point is that Front Drive has not been in business for 5 months like you claim.

And what's going to happen if Front Drive has a server failure ala Avail?
    Front Drive has not been hosting for 5 months, but has very much been in business for 5 months doing design and mostly programming.

Front Drive will not have a server failure ala Avail because:

a) I am not using a Rackshack server or whatever crappy $99 company it was that Jeremy used

b) backups are perfomed on a second hard drive, a second machine, and a third machine (our home server). Our server provider offers 24/7 parts replacement and if a hard drive were to fail, it would be swapped out and the backup restored. Just like any other hosting company.

I don't know why you're even linking Front Drive with Avail. Front Drive is not Avail. Front Drive has a worker who used to work for Avail.

-J
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Thoroughness is good.

Originally posted by Drewcifer
    I will wholeheartedly agree that any host who will not furnish a potential customer with a valid name, address, and phone number SHOULD be reported here....
    Hmmmmmm, I've never had anyone ask for my home address. It's noone else's business. My home phone is also private. We don't offer telephone support, so I don't see where a phone number is relevant. But go ahead - report me.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

I was with Avail, and had no problems at all. It was most likely the fastest host I have ever been with. Hmm rethinking about it, read below....at any rate, when it went out of business I got a full refund for the entire year immediately, including the full month that I was a customer. The domain hosted was Fused.net

After that I went with Paradise Designs. Lightning fast server, as it was with Level 3 here in Orlando. I was more than pleased until the known non-payment of Tim's and the licence issues. I had a hard time getting my files, only after Vortech who runs the NOC that PD was colocating their server intervened I was able to grab my files and db. I had a hard time getting a refund as well, it took several emails, threats to sue and lots of hardship and calls (and finding in the meantime that the 33 year old Tim was in fact 15).

Personally I made an observation about Avail and FDrive and it might be the same company being run by the same person etc. As long as you are getting good service, that's what matters. If Avail morphed into FDrive and their owner is a split personality, I personally don't care - as long as my server is up and running.
    Last edited by Acroplex; 08-10-2002 at 03:47 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Thoroughness is good.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Hmmmmmm, I've never had anyone ask for my home address. It's noone else's business. My home phone is also private. We don't offer telephone support, so I don't see where a phone number is relevant. But go ahead - report me.
    LOL...I didn't mean just give out your home address, but give some sort of valid address for a leery potential client. Being apprehensive about a host is perfectly understandable. As is the desire of a person who runs a respectable business from his/her home to be discreet about their personal information.
      0 Not allowed!

BattleForums,

I thought you were happy with Frontdrive, but looks like you are changing hosts after this review as per your request here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=66007

For FDrive

Also Fdrive, per my understanding before avils failure you were helping Jeremy at availhosting.com , now after Avils failure Jeremy is helping you at Frontdrive, either way its the same team and what make this second round more succesful than first round ?

Also if one HDD failure can bring whole Avil business down then what assurrence you give your clients and customers besides stating that since this time you are not using RS servers, that this time will not bring Frontdrive down in case of HD failure or something else?

Just curious
    FastWebHost.com - Business Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Fast VPS Hosting
    FastWebHost.in Best India Web Hosting Provider. India Web Hosting
    Hosting Websites Since 2002 in USA, EU, India and all over the world
      0 Not allowed!

I was not very involved with Avail. All I did was the website and a little bit of tech support.

I, unlike Jeremy, know how to run a business. That is why he has remained in the background doing sysadmin things with Front Drive.

If you think what brought Avail down was a simple hard drive failure, then you are painfully wrong.

Do your homework before trying to bash a competitor next time, you're just making yourself look foolish.
      0 Not allowed!

There we go with the Bash a competitor comment, really you should take more time.

Not everything on this board equates to "Bashing", genuine questions are being raised, don't let it be reduced to "Bashing" comments, its making you look foolish.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps if he had left out the "" I would have taken his post seriously.

Everyone else thus far has posted legitimate and geniune questions that I have responded to; he did not.

I just find it amusing that every time someone posts a positive review of Front Drive (havent had a single complaint on these boards), competitors come in here and talk about Jeremy
      0 Not allowed!

Jay,

I am sorry if my comments looks bashing to you. What I said that I was curious since both of you are still together at frontdrive. Before you helped him behid the scene, now he helps you behind ( or background ) but its still same people running the same business. I am not saying that you are no good, but was stating the facts.

And as per this thread here:
    http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...threadid=51914

It was server failure ( either HD or RAM ) that cause Avil to go down, I think thats what I stated before.

Also on another note maybe its me but both Avail's and you signature looks very similar
    -----------
    Avail:

Jeremy &#194;&#187; jeremy_AT_availhosting.com
    Avail Hosting &#194;&#187; advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.availhosting.com/
    ------------
    FDrive:

Jay &#194;&#187; jay_AT_frontdrive.com &#226;€&#162; AIM &#194;&#187; FDrive Support
    Front Drive&#226;„&#162; &#194;&#187; Advanced multi-domain solutions
    ---------------

Regards and good luck

Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Is is not the same people running the same business. Jeremy has no say in "running" this business, he is simply one of the sysadmins. Every other worker of Front Drive has no relation to Avail whatsoever.

What happened with Avail was the server company overwriting Jeremy's backups. Again, I encourage you to do your homework before posting.

As for the sig, yes I borrwed his. Big deal.
      0 Not allowed!

One of our sysadmins ran an unsuccessful company called Avail. Please, competitors, flog the dead horse.

Last edited by FDrive; 08-10-2002 at 08:32 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

You know when I was checking up on FrontDrive before siging up with them, nobody said anything. Other people asked, and still nobody said anything.
    Now that sombody has posted a positive comment, (oh no!) everybody is jumping in with info.
    Yes, I did know about the relationship of Jeremy to avail, and I took a chance that Jay is being honest about it. I have done a search on the name and have not found him to be contradicting.
    If they serve me well, I will give them their due.
    I will say I have another site on another host/server, so all my eggs are not in one basket, as they say. Plus I pay by the month.

So thanks for the heads up folks, but I am a grown up, and will be ok.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."
      0 Not allowed!

It absolutely turns my stomach when a host tries to puff themselves up by bashing another host on these forums.
    Not to mention how unethical it is.
    I see it too much of it here.

It's disgusting.
    ShagHost
    Yeah baby, we do hosting!
    http://www.shaghost.com
    24 hour support except on Saturday evenings when we party hardy
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Seems everyone should be unhappy with their host and no one is *allowed* to post a positive thread!

Well, its not nice at all to see hosts are doing this to each other C'mon be well mannered ! It's awful when you read this stuff.

I guess WHT is turning to DAL.net on IRC. Everyone is fighting for power or something. I left there and joined WHT to get experience and knowledge in hosting industry. Unfortunately seems you have to leave here as well.

Lucks...
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com
      0 Not allowed!

eHostPros, shame on you.
      0 Not allowed!

I noticed though that FDrive.com went down for the same timespan that Aletia.com was down. What gives?
      0 Not allowed!

sub-text...

from shaghost... It absolutely turns my stomach when a host tries to puff themselves up by bashing a host who bashes another host on these forums. Not to mention how unethical it is, so I won't mention that.
    I see it too much of it here, so I refuse to contribute to it!!
    from Drewcifer... I personally don't give a rat's anteater about Front Drive and who likes/dislikes them. But the fact that you can condone this kind of irresponsible and mindless attack, let alone commend it, is abominable.
    For $15 I'll send you a genuine, gold-plated, diamond studded, platinum engraved apology written on an authentic blank page of Elvis Presley's Personal Diary. Please send your credit card number to me at: P.O. Box U.R.E.Z., Knome, Alaska. If you don't receive your apology after four months, send an email to: info_AT_whatsaol.com. If that doesn't work, sue me, if you can find me. Love, the-muse.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-26-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by timechange
    I noticed though that FDrive.com went down for the same timespan that Aletia.com was down. What gives?
    Unfortunate timing -- we were messing with frontdrive.com's DNS today, and at the same time our nameserver went down, the backup server (just a cheap account with Aletia) went down. The move to our new server is finished now, no need for the backup account anymore. Ahh, bask in FastServers.net's speedy goodness.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast