New BigVps.com Box

I ordered a 512mb/50gb VPS from Ray with BigVPS/Colo4jax. I will detail my experience with Ray and my first VPS as follows:

I sent Ray several presales questions in which he answered in reasonable period of time. Their prices are exceptional, but I had concerns about managing my own server. I read several good reviews here on WHT so I decided to take the plunge and ordered at 1:31pm on 12/27/07. He said they usually have them ready in about 48 hours. I didn't get my box until 12/29/07 at 8:46pm which was actually about 55.5 hours, but I got the box so all is good.

(keep in mind, I am good on my toes, but I am a VPS newbie)
    I ordered the box with Ubuntu on it. Well the first thing I did was connect via SSH, as by default all other ports/services are not installed by default. The thing that concerned me is it said something about version 2.69.xx. This actually scared the crap out of me because I know Ubuntu is up to 7.10 now. I figured out later this was a kernel version, not Ubuntu version. I googled updating ubuntu and proceeded to do an aptitude dist-upgrade or whatever. I accepted defaults and away we went. BEWARE, there is a special libc6 driver for xen called libc6-xen. If you do the upgrade, it recommends upgrading this package which is not good. It breaks alot of things with the OS. So lucky me, within 30 mins of getting the box, I had it screwed up pretty good with no ftp daemon/client, no apache, no way to get anything to the box. I couldn't install anything with aptitude due to the lib6c being messed up. I found a version of the libc6-xen in my root folder. (bigvps must have used this version with ubuntu 7.04) When I tried to use that, it said it was an old outdated version. I did end up finding a newer version on the ubuntu site, but how to get it to the box? While I was messing around with my ftp client, filezilla, I found an option for ftp over ssh. I tried it and it works....SWEET! I proceeded to install that one and every things been running sweet ever since. There are 3 lib6c packages that aptitude has marked for holding back, due to the lib6c-xen version. I have since installed apache2, shorewall, webmin, virtualmin, postfix, dovecot, proftpd, procmail, and a couple other things.

Speed has been good, and the box has come back up any reboot. I ran into a problem with time not being synchronized on the xen host and sent support an email on Sunday at 1:17pm. Ray emailed me back at 6:46pm. About a 5.5 hour turn around time, but it wasn't mission critical, and he did fix the problem.

Now for my questions:

1. The box has no swap, shouldn't a vps be setup for swap in case it runs out of system memory? Is this typical of a VPS?

2. Not to nitpick, but it was supposed to come with 50gb of space, webmins system status shows 46gb total. DF -h shows:
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1              46G  3.1G   41G   7% /
    varrun                249M   80K  249M   1% /var/run
    varlock               249M     0  249M   0% /var/lock
    udev                  249M   20K  249M   1% /dev
    devshm                249M     0  249M   0% /dev/shm
    In the above listing, it shows 46G with 3.1g used...but only 41g availible. Where did the other 2.9gb go?

3. Should I make a big deal with bigvps.com about the missing 3gb? Its really minor, but considering the reseller account I came from only had 4gb total, I could see it being relevant.

4. Not taking into account the space from my domain pages and webmail, how much diskspace would you estimate a install of ubuntu 7.10 to take up with the typical packages: apache, procmail, shorewall, spamassassin, postfix, dovecot, mysql, php, webmin, virtualmin, usermin.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Justin
    Last edited by CypSteel; 01-01-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Yes, it should come with swap, swap is like burstable ram on OpenVZ. Also, you should definitely get on to that space issue, you've paid for it, now go get it!

Ubuntu + packages, probably a couple of gigs max.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

You probably want the swap, since it can actually improve performance. The missing 4GB could be related to the missing swap - a rule of thumb is two time the RAM amount (perhaps they use more?).
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles

Quote Originally Posted by CypSteel View Post

2. Not to nitpick, but it was supposed to come with 50gb of space, webmins system status shows 46gb total.
    My 20gb VPS at BigVPS shows:

[[email protected] ~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/xvda2 18G 8.1G 8.5G 49% /
    /dev/xvda1 190M 23M 158M 13% /boot
    tmpfs 250M 0 250M 0% /dev/shm
    [[email protected] ~]#

Well, this is kind of a guess...but if they are calculating your disk space like:

50GB = 50,000,000,000 Bytes (50 Billion Bytes) = ~46.566GB
    20GB = 20,000,000,000 Bytes (20 Billion Bytes) = ~18.626GB

Then the numbers on the right are what you're actually getting. They are pretty close to what you guys are experiencing so I'm thinking this could possibly be the reason behind your shortages.

Because, if you wanted to be exact,

50GB = 53,687,091,200 Bytes
    20GB = 21,474,836,480 Bytes

-Caleb

They probably just put in 50000mb instead of the correct number of 53000. It's just that 1000mb doesn't = 1gb, it would be easier if it did though
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

OpenVZ does not have the ability of swap space, and I believe BigVPS does use OpenVZ, so you do not get any sort of swap space. That is normal. AFAIK, only Xen VPSes come with swap space.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

They use Xen...
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    They use Xen...
    My mistake. The next key then is that they dont mention swap on the site.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca