Help needed making decision?

We need help deciding which webhost site to use. We have a small home based business selling aromatherapy supplies, incense, incense burners, creams, and lotions. Our catalogue is small, but hopefully will grow. I'm not completely sure what I need in webhosting. I do need the ability to put shopping cart on the site. We've been researching and have come up with AN Hosting, and Hostgator. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

Are you looking at selling products online? Or are you just looking to put up a website with your contact information?

If you're looking at selling products online, there are actually multiple free shopping cart scripts that can be used on any host that supports PHP & MySQL. The best script is probably OS Commerce. For security purposes, you'll also want a SSL Certificate. It basically encrypts the data going back and forth between the server and your client. That way private information can't be 'sniffed out.'

Some pre-sales questions you'll want to ask are how much are dedicated IP addresses? You'll need this if you want to sell products online. Will you install a SSL Certificate for me? Do you support PHP & MySQL?

Two other e-commerce scripts I'd look at are:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/
    http://www.zen-cart.com/

If your business is small, many shared hosts will do just fine for you. I'm not familiar with AN, but Hostgator gets mostly favorable reviews on WHT.

Hi froodyc,

I would choose zencart to build a shopping cart for your site.
    As for hosting account,
    500-1000mb webspace, 10-20gb bandwidth , with php & mysql support is good for the start.

Another thing to look at is the uptime. Make sure the company provide good uptime so that your site is always online.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

most of shared hosting can offer you the solution for your site. if you using online ordering precess for your site keep in mind about security.

I never heard about AN Hosting but Hostgator sure is a good decision.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Shared Hosting will meet your requirements. Most webhost's offer fantastico so you can install your script instantly. You should also get an SSL certificate.

- Daniel

Right now, your biggest concern should be selecting the right shopping cart. This will have a much bigger impact on your overall success.

I would suggest checking http://www.opensourcecms.com to get some ideas. They have demos of all the shopping carts in their list.

Another good place to check is www.hotscripts.com.

Lastly, keep in mind that pretty much all of these shopping carts can be installed pretty easily. You do not need to limit yourself to what is included with Fantastico.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Froodychick42 View Post
    We need help deciding which webhost site to use. We have a small home based business selling aromatherapy supplies, incense, incense burners, creams, and lotions. Our catalogue is small, but hopefully will grow. I'm not completely sure what I need in webhosting. I do need the ability to put shopping cart on the site. We've been researching and have come up with AN Hosting, and Hostgator. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!
    If you are a small business just think to use a managed virtual dedicated server.
    Never look at shared ones. Most shared hosting have tricks, limits on user number .

if you are fine with operating system use unmanaged virtual dedicated server.

mostly to my environment i recommend vds to small commercial people, and they mostly prefer shared, perhaps a hundred times this happened. Guess what they pass to vds after receiving complains to their sites from customers.

Use VDS but i bet you ll prefer a shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertes View Post
    If you are a small business just think to use a managed virtual dedicated server.
    Never look at shared ones. Most shared hosting have tricks, limits on user number .

if you are fine with operating system use unmanaged virtual dedicated server.

mostly to my environment i recommend vds to small commercial people, and they mostly prefer shared, perhaps a hundred times this happened. Guess what they pass to vds after receiving complains to their sites from customers.

Use VDS but i bet you ll prefer a shared.

There is no point in spending a lot if you don't have to. If you are starting out, I would say that shared hosting is fine as long as it isn't massively oversold. Once your site grows, however, you'll probably want to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated. A good shared host will give you plenty of advance warning, and maybe even transfer the site for you when you are ready to upgrade.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Hi buddy well If you're looking at selling products online, there are actually multiple free shopping cart scripts that can be used on any host that supports PHP & MySQL

Another thing you could do is contact both AN Hosting's and Hosgator's sales departments, explain what you want and see what they say about your intentions (what they recommend). It would be a good test as well (to see how you are treated, etc).

I think that you simple need web hosting with database on it. I think that thouthands of web hosting companies will be able to handle your requrements.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

I agree with most of the posters in the thread, shared hosting should be more than enough for your needs.
    If you do get busy enough to need a dedicated server you should be able to upgrade no problems. And honestly, you can be very successful on a shared hosting platform.

As many of the posts recommend, I also suggest a LINUX based small hosting with having PHP&MYSQL enabled on it. you can start with a small one to get familiar with such services and upgrade or extend your account later
    Start build your own webhosting plan based on your needs @axspace.com.

See a Movie tutorial to learn more.