Whats the best way to change domain names

I have been using the same domain name (.com) for the last 4 years. This domain name contains static content and also a forum phpBB2 along with an osCommerce section. I have another domain name of the same name except its a .net name. This site has my gallery (Coppermine).

I need to change the domain name to a new name which better reflects my site and members. This site will be running Drupal and phpBB3 and osCommerce. I would also like to move my gallery to this site away from the .net domain.

I already own the new domain name and its been pointed to the current name for the last year.

What is the easiest way to do this while maintaining your search rankings and external links ?

maybe park the old domain over new one?
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

^^^ can lead to duplicate contentson search engine.

How about redirection?
    ServMap.com - MapServer GIS hosting
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated Hosting by ServWebSolutions

Search engines will be okay, after a while, with a 301 redirect.

^ I agree that a Permanent Redirect is the way to go. Don't do anything that would land you in the supplemental indexes.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

I third it, as far as the 301 permanent redirect goes. Always want to stay in Google's good graces.

301 redirect is the best way to go but you will still lose ground in your search engine & PR rankings. Remember to contact the external links and ask them to update with your new site name.

Wow. Thank you. Everyone seems to agree. How often does that happen. 301 it is then.

Can someone point to some sites where I can familiarize my self with the 301 redirect. ?

Quote Originally Posted by mkIV View Post
    Wow. Thank you. Everyone seems to agree. How often does that happen. 301 it is then.

Can someone point to some sites where I can familiarize my self with the 301 redirect. ?
    Here you go friend: http://www.website-development-training.com/301/
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Thank you. That site has some pretty good reading.