Lightbulb Is Colo worth it

I am planning on doing some media streaming (youtube style)

I am debating whether to colo my dual opteron (1u) - I am looking for 100mpbs port unmetered with some quality mixed bandwidth. How much will that run me for? does it make more sense to rent a dedicated server?

How about all those extras I hear about, like managed switches and power consumption..is that big issue?

Could somebody give me a quick quote as to how much colocating a 1u rack with 100mpbs premium b/w will cost? and then how much going the dedicated server route would compare

note: I need something that will get good speeds to asia. I anticipate 15 percent of visitors to be from Asia.

Thanks much guys !
    Happy 2008

Colo is not an easy road at first, it's always more work than leased, but it is the only way to get the control and quality needed to provide the best level of service. Ultimately, it is what I consider to be the road to higher profits.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

yeah I need to start somewhere, I want to get the colo experience since I have a rack server sitting next to me and not being used.

I am not looking to make a "profit" - I mean i am not after making a quick buck by reselling... just looking to provide the best user experience for my high traffic sites.

If its just one server, then you dont really need to worry about switch, power, etc. 1U with premium 100mbps will cost you around $1,500 to $2,000/mo sometimes more depending on your location.

Anything cheaper than that will affect the quality of your website, and quaity is what you are looking for.

I'd say in the beginning, go with a 10mbps commit on a 100mbps drop. If you are close to going over it constantly, then just upgrade.

Many commit to something they never use and they just keep paying for that unused bandwidth.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    If its just one server, then you dont really need to worry about switch, power, etc. 1U with premium 100mbps will cost you around $1,500 to $2,000/mo sometimes more depending on your location.

Anything cheaper than that will affect the quality of your website, and quaity is what you are looking for.

I'd say in the beginning, go with a 10mbps commit on a 100mbps drop. If you are close to going over it constantly, then just upgrade.

Many commit to something they never use and they just keep paying for that unused bandwidth.
    Thanks! that's going to be my strategy... busrt at first then upgrade if needed! Looking for good mix for a good value per mbps... any recommendations?

Where are you located?

NJ and NYC

A lot of providers will do per GB rather than Mbps for single server setups, which may fit your needs better.

Some companies we have had experience with that offer this:

http://www.colo4dallas.com/pricing_s...hp?sec=1&sub=4 (Have a cabinet here, top notch)
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=655256 (Ran our email server at gnax for a few years, very few problems)
    http://pacificrack.com/colocation.html (Set up an offsite backup server here last month, fast support and network so far)

I don't like putting the competition up but you can also check choopa they are in NJ at a L3 facility. www.choopa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    A lot of providers will do per GB rather than Mbps for single server setups, which may fit your needs better.

Some companies we have had experience with that offer this:

http://www.colo4dallas.com/pricing_s...hp?sec=1&sub=4 (Have a cabinet here, top notch)
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=655256 (Ran our email server at gnax for a few years, very few problems)
    http://pacificrack.com/colocation.html (Set up an offsite backup server here last month, fast support and network so far)
    Neither of those are in the NY/NJ Area -_-

Quote Originally Posted by benplanet View Post
    NJ and NYC
    CRNC, Voxel, Interserver, NAC, DedicatedNOW, Digital Providers and I'm sure there are others but they arent coming to my mind now.

NJ and NYC
    I also just remembered, Ubiquity. They are on Mzima which I heard is really good for gaming, I know you want to do youtubetype website, but if its good for gaming then it should defiitely be good for youtube type website.

Neither of those are in the NY/NJ Area -_-
    Requirement of being local did not come from OP. He did however specifically ask for good Asia speeds. While other factors apply, strictly from a geographic standpoint CA is probably better than NY/NJ for this.

From his posts it sounded to me like a colo charging bw per-GB would probably cause him less confusion and pain than a traditional 95% model, which usually ends up being very wasteful when only colo'ing one server. The companies I listed all have packages tailored for single server colo.

how come some companies only charge $13 per mbit while others charge as much as $150/mbit!

Somebody offered me a good a colo at Equinix san jose -- $13/mbps -- blend of a couple of carriers: telia, level3, btn/pccwglobal, plus private peering colo is 75 for 1amp power and 1u rack. (that's with 100mbps commit!)

You guys thing I can do better? my primary market is the USA, although i would want some decent speeds to asia (no a priority right now, i could always load balance later (geo-dns) )

How are speeds to the rest of the US from LA ? Should I start with east coast like Anantha is suggesting?

Any chance I can get prices for under $20/mbit for quality b/w without a commit? Or is that pushing it?
    Last edited by benplanet; 01-01-2008 at 03:37 AM.

$13/mbps for no commit? Hmmm....That is really hard to find, but since they are offering PCCW/BTN (recommended for ASIA), I guess its a good deal.

But you are really pushing if you want $20mbit without commit. Some good providers do it but only on their "Value" network and not on their premium network.

I am in NJ so I generally get around 70-75ms to LAX, 27-30ms to Chicago, 48-50s to Dallas. So, if you are serving the entire US, I would recommend Chicago. But Dallas is not bad either.

But, facts aside, in all honesty, since this is your first colo venture, I would *HIGHLY* recommend getting a space close to where you live on a good network, I am assuming you live in the NY area so you can go with something like Voxel or Ubiquity (Mzima). Then once you get comfortable, expand to other parts of the US.
    Last edited by HNLV; 01-01-2008 at 11:55 AM.

how come some companies only charge $13 per mbit while others charge as much as $150/mbit!
    That might be my single favorite question in hosting.

Generally speaking, carriers do vary in quality. Some NSP's will have higher latencies, higher reliability, be more prone to packet loss, be more consistent, etc. In addition to that, the dedicated and colo industries are near literally divided between two schools of thought - and that is, whether or not a network's capacity should be oversold (shared), or if every bit of the availability advertised should available all of the time (dedicated). Keep in mind that some are more honest than others on this topic as well.

All of this considered, the hardest situation for a colo salesperson to explain is why someone should pay potentially thousands of dollars for 100mbps, when there are always outfits that will advertise something of that nature for $50/month. The truth of the matter is in the end, the general pattern truly is that you get what you pay for.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Ah the age old question. Sometimes it is possible to have 100mb on the cheap if you have multi-gigabit and your customers don't use it all up. The colo we're at is like this and not one of their providers is being used over 25% maximum capacity. I asked my colo sales rep why bw for dedicated servers are so much cheaper....it's strictly overselling due to the saturation of the dedicated server market and demanding prices.
    Robert Davis - CEO/Network Operations Manager
    Cyberdog Internet Services - Hosting solutions for all.
    Latest cPanel
    - PHP5,Ruby,CloudFlare - Fantastico De Luxe - SSLLabs A+ - Dual Oct Core
    99.9% SLA - 30min support - 24x7 Status Site - 60 Day Money Back

I suggest going with dedicated server if you only will be hosting 1 box. Colo only becomes an effective solution if you are buying a cage where you can put up multiple servers.

if you will be putting up a power house machine with very expensive hardware, then colo is the way to go. you will get robbed trying to get all those hardware specs with dedicated server hosting.

It's not worth it to my eyes.

Why: because it'll cost a lot less renting it, then sending your own hardware over.

Colo becomes cost-effective way way before you need a cage. And while renting may only cost $149/mo, you will always pay that, whereas with colo you may have a large initial outlay but a smaller ongoing payment.

Do your own research and make your own decision.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

CRNC ... Digital Providers
    For future reference, CRNC and Digital Providers merged several months ago to form Atlantic Metro Communications:

http://www.atlanticmetro.net/
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Big or custom hardware often calls for a colo solution, VPS servers are also often economical at a colo. But it also depends on if you want to own assets or lease them when it comes to tax time. I can't stress enough, do your research and see what works out long term. Convenience or eliminating a middle man can sometimes be worth it.
    Robert Davis - CEO/Network Operations Manager
    Cyberdog Internet Services - Hosting solutions for all.
    Latest cPanel
    - PHP5,Ruby,CloudFlare - Fantastico De Luxe - SSLLabs A+ - Dual Oct Core
    99.9% SLA - 30min support - 24x7 Status Site - 60 Day Money Back