Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Godaddy.com: Bandwidth Exceeded

Hi I'm new here.

I have exceeded my Godaddy Bandwidth, I have a the 5GB/250GB plan, and I am currently on 306GB of used bandwidth (122%). The reason is that I (having enough spare bandwidth (200GB+)) got the idea of mirroring a linux .iso for a project I'm part of, but it kinda got out of hand.

Yesterday they sent me a mail informing me that I exceeded the bw with 7,2GB. I receive the mail today, and check in my control panel: 56GB exceeded.

I immediately took down all the files involved, of course.

I didn't mean for this, but I'm anxious as to how Godaddy will charge this. Does anybody know what Godaddy will charge for let's say 60GB of exceeded bw? What is my best option? Paying for the exceeded bw? Upgrading to another plan?

I don't know what to do, I hope someone can help.

You should drop them a mail asking what's the fee for extra bandwidth for your plan. I bet it's well hidden in the TOS.
    I don't mean to scare you but you can expect a $4 or more for every extra 1GB.
    Got Fused?

Thanks for your reply. I already mailed them with that question, but then a ticket is openend, so getting an answer might take a while.

I logged in into my control panel, and choose "modify/upgrade account". There you can allocate more bandwidth or diskspace to yourself. I choose 50GB, just to test, and got to a checkout page with 75$. That was pretty pricy in my eyes, so 4$ per GB is outrageous!

That's why I asked: Isn't it more profitable for me to upgrade to another plan for now? This kind of exceedement is the only time it'll ever happen. I rarely get above 50GB/month, just this time.

I have no experience in this whatsoeve, so what do you guys suggest/advise?

Read their TOS quick, because it will be in there, if not, you can ignore it ^^

If you really can't pay, email them about it.

If they insist, run. Are they going to chase a few hundred $$$, probably not, but it's risky!

Hopefully they will he happy to sort this out, normally hosts suspend accounts or send warning emails, rather than just charge away.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

See if they will let you upgrade. If they want you to pay, I suggest running as well. There are plenty og good hosting companies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Epohax View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I already mailed them with that question, but then a ticket is openend, so getting an answer might take a while.

I logged in into my control panel, and choose "modify/upgrade account". There you can allocate more bandwidth or diskspace to yourself. I choose 50GB, just to test, and got to a checkout page with 75$. That was pretty pricy in my eyes, so 4$ per GB is outrageous!

That's why I asked: Isn't it more profitable for me to upgrade to another plan for now? This kind of exceedement is the only time it'll ever happen. I rarely get above 50GB/month, just this time.

I have no experience in this whatsoeve, so what do you guys suggest/advise?
    But it doesn't make sense that you can upgrade after-the-fact without any penalties. They will get you on this, as this is what their model BEGS for: the chance to charge someone for using excessive resources. Just think though, your payment helps balance out the fact they oversell their resources and allows some other person(s) to use their ridiculous amount of bandwidth(if they can) for another month!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBytes View Post
    If they insist, run. Are they going to chase a few hundred $$$, probably not, but it's risky!
    Wow, what a sad example of humanity. That's disappointing & I do hope your own datacenter gets a whiff of the thief you are before you run on them.

To the OP: Obviously this was a really silly mistake on your part & you should have read the terms prior to messing with them. Mirroring a Linux ISO on a shared hosting package?

Well, according to the terms of service from 2005 (from a search here on WHT) their pricing was $9.95 per gigabyte of overage. That comes out to $557.20 USD -- but perhaps their terms have been modified since then.

Enjoy.

Thanks for your replies!

Here is the Godaddy mail I received:

IMPORTANT HOSTING ACCOUNT NOTICE:
    MONTHLY BANDWIDTH EXCEEDED

Dear xxxx,

This is to notify you that your hosting account has exceeded
    its monthly bandwidth.

As of 12/30/2007, your hosting account has accumulated
    257,214.62 MB of data transfer. This means that the allowed
    250000 MB of monthly data transfer for xxxxxx.eu
    has been exceeded by 7,214.62 MB.

You will be charged monthly for any bandwidth you use that
    is over your allotted amount.

If your bandwidth usage remains at its current level, you
    should upgrade your hosting account as a permanent solution.

---------------------------------------------------------
    To check your bandwidth usage or upgrade your account:
    1. Go to GoDaddy.com and click "My Account."
    2. Log in with your user name and password and click
    "Secure Login."
    3. Select the type of hosting account associated with
    the domain name -- WebSite Tonight(R), Quick Shopping Cart(R), or
    Hosting -- that you wish to change.
    4. Your allotted bandwidth displays in the Account
    Details section on the right-side of the page.
    5. If you want to upgrade your account, click
    "Upgrade/Downgrade Account."
    ---------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions, please contact:

+ Online Customer Support
    + Phone: (480) 505-8877

Thank you for choosing GoDaddy.com hosting.

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Copyright 2007 GoDaddy.com. All rights reserved
    As you can see, the mail states 7,2GB, which is now already 56GB, but it should have stopped since I deleted the files.

I paid with paypal, so I guess it's good I didn't use my credit card.

Running is an option, but it will take my girlfriend's art site down with it.

This is my mail to Godaddy:

<snip>
    1. When will the month be reset?
    2. What is the cost of 50GB (probably more, judging by Question 1) of exceeded bandwidth?
    3. I didn't plan on this kind of bandwidth exceedement, it's actually an accident. Can we work something out?
    <snip>
    I'm lost here :-)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    To the OP: Obviously this was a really silly mistake on your part & you should have read the terms prior to messing with them. Mirroring a Linux ISO on a shared hosting package?

Well, according to the terms of service from 2005 (from a search here on WHT) their pricing was $9.95 per gigabyte of overage. That comes out to $557.20 USD -- but perhaps their terms have been modified since then.
    If you must know, this is what happened. I mirrored a linux .iso, being a secondary mirror only. People would use my site if the primary one was slow or down. That went quite well. Suddenly, someone editted the wiki (everything is a wiki nowadays) and changed my site as the primary source. I don't know why, I certainly didn't do it myself. There also was a torrent available.

I understand this is my fault, but I rarely used over 50GB of bandwidth in a month (even though I paid for 250GB every month), this is a horrible accident. I acted as quickly and adequatly as I could, but the damage is done.

This is the only thing I could find in their legal terms:

f You are hosting Your web site on Go Daddy's servers, You are responsible for ensuring that there is no excessive overloading on Go Daddy's DNS or servers. In the event that You exceed Your allotted bandwidth or disk space and thereby overload Go Daddy's DNS or servers, You shall be assessed any and all fees, costs and penalties associated with such overloading.
    Where can I find their Terms of Service? What is the actual cost per GB?

I hope they agree on working something out, considering that I have already payed for ... 200GB per month unused, for about 8 months. Then overusing 50GB one time isn't that big of a deal, now is it?

On hostgator they charge i think it was 1 USD or 2 USD for every 1 GB. I don't know about godaddy but it should be around that price.

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBytes View Post
    Read their TOS quick, because it will be in there, if not, you can ignore it ^^

If you really can't pay, email them about it.

Hopefully they will he happy to sort this out, normally hosts suspend accounts or send warning emails, rather than just charge away.
    Realy nice advise *NOT* how would you feel as a host if people run away from you without paying. This is not really ethical from you at all!

For the OP : just pay if they ask you (if they ask at all!), you took the service and did agree with the terms of service; next time check the TOS, they are boring to read but well worth to read them.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by Epohax View Post
    If you must know, this is what happened. I mirrored a linux .iso, being a secondary mirror only. People would use my site if the primary one was slow or down. That went quite well. Suddenly, someone editted the wiki (everything is a wiki nowadays) and changed my site as the primary source. I don't know why, I certainly didn't do it myself. There also was a torrent available.

I understand this is my fault, but I rarely used over 50GB of bandwidth in a month (even though I payed for 250GB every month), this is a horrible accident. I acted as quickly and adequatly as I could, but the damage is done.

This is the only thing I could find in their legal terms:

Where can I find their Terms of Service? What is the actual cost per GB?

I hope they agree on working something out, considering that I have already payed for ... 200GB per month unused, for about 8 months. Then overusing 50GB one time isn't that big of a deal, now is it?
    It probably says somewhere in their TOS that you can't transfer bandwidth. So it wouldn't matter if the other months you used only 50 gigs. But its best to ask them.

- Daniel

From the Godaddy FAQ: http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...d=16&topic_id=

What is Bandwidth?

Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data allowed to pass between a user’s Web site and the rest of the Internet.

For example, if your Web site—hosted on a 2GB/month Deluxe hosting account—contains a 1MB picture, that picture can be viewed 2000 times before you exceed the 2,000MB (2GB) limit. You are responsible for ensuring excessive loading does not occur on the DNS or hosting servers. Exceeding your allotted monthly bandwidth results in overloading and will incur an additional charge. Thus, if visitor number 2001 wants to view the same picture, you will be assessed any and all fees, costs, and penalties resulting from the overloading. Failure to pay such bandwidth charges may result in site redirection.

In general, if you have a commercial site or a site that generates a lot of traffic, you should consider getting additional bandwidth. If you have a basic, personal site that you have set up for friends and family, you probably do not need to order additional bandwidth.
    Site redirection?

This is their Hosting Agreement, and here are all their agreements

I can't find a price per GB. It should be written somewhere, right? But where...

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Realy nice advise *NOT* how would you feel as a host if people run away from you without paying. This is not really ethical from you at all!

For the OP : just pay if they ask you (if they ask at all!), you took the service and did agree with the terms of service; next time check the TOS, they are boring to read but well worth to read them.
    There are two more things that are pretty unethical...

1) Charging $4 per GB overage.
    2) Hiding this fact in the TOS.

If anything could justify not paying, this would be it.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by everity View Post

1) Charging $4 per GB overage.
    Agreed that $4 would be quite a lot, and frankly i would have let him go with a warning, but that is another story. But as far as i read this thread the $4,00 is an assumption of what they would charge the OP doesnt have a bill yet.

I do not know if its really hidden, or that the OP didnt check them well enough, frankly i do not have the time to read other hosting providers TOS just for fun. Still it is clear what the limit was of the account and the customers responsibility to make sure he is not going over it.

We had a customer with a small account but because of a nice article google did write on their blog he suddenly got a major lot of trafic to his site and did go well over its bandwidth, this was not his fault either, how could he know google would mention HIS name and that many people started to visit his website.

We worked out a sollution with this customer, and will not send him any bills for the masive amount of bandwidth he used. As i believe every host should do, but guess the larger players are not able to do this or are simply not willing to do it.

I wish the OP good luck with trying to solve this, but still believe everyone should pay his/her bills.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Incorrect. That is the fault of the end-user for not reading. If you feel you can just click-through those annoying "I agree"/"I do not agree" screens then you are liable for the consequences. They made an attempt to tell you what the terms were and you chose not to read it; this is not GoDaddy's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Incorrect. That is the fault of the end-user for not reading. If you feel you can just click-through those annoying "I agree"/"I do not agree" screens then you are liable for the consequences. They made an attempt to tell you what the terms were and you chose not to read it; this is not GoDaddy's fault.
    TECHNICALLY, you are right. It is the user's fault for not reading. ETHICALLY, however, is another story.

Hosts know that people don't read the TOS. If anything is blatantly unfair, they hide it in their TOS on purpose. Just because someone doesn't read your TOS doesn't give you the right to put rules that are completely insane in there so that you can financially rape them when they least expect it. That is unfair, IMO.

I'm not advising the OP to run without paying, but if he did, he would certainly have a good justification for doing so.

Also, Karl, I find your "incorrect" to be a bit rude. This is all opinion, not fact. I have my opinion, you have yours. No one is "incorrect."
    Last edited by everity; 12-31-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

I'm not advising the OP to run without paying, but if he did, he would certainly have a good justification for doing so.
    I am suprised by criminals around here.. where is the good justification?? please bear in mind that godaddy delivers a protection to NOT go over your bandwidth, sure it is disabled on default according to their support site, but they offer the posibility.

I am absolutely amazed!
    »

Are you saying terms of service are unethical? They don't "hide" anything in their terms of service. You're required to agree to them before signing up.

What's so underhanded about that?
    Phew. </thread>

Quote Originally Posted by Everity
    Disgusting.

I agree (on the fact that one should read the TOS), but I can't find it in the Terms of Service, at all. If someone has some spare time he/she wants to devote to this, feel free to look. I couldn't find it.

Thanks for all your help so far. It's really appreciated.

You guys are missing the issue. It isn't so much about whether not someone reads the TOS, as it is about what they put in there.

Legal is not always ethical.

Even if they were to post this despicable policy in big bold letters on their home page, the fact remains that the policy is extremely unfair.

A lot of hosts on here have the idea that you can put anything you want in your TOS, and its ok, no matter how ridiculous it may be. Such hosts get away with it because most people are sheep and don't fight it.

Personally, I think its about time for people to start fighting back. This is one of those cases where someone needs to stand up and force a host to rethink its policy.
    Last edited by everity; 12-31-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    eVerity.com

Just because they don't include a price in their terms, doesn't mean they cant charge you.
    They clearly state that they can bill you for any overage. They don't need to say anymore than that.

As for the people telling him to run, I'm just as shocked as David and 040hosting. If it is a few hundred dollars then GoDaddy will probably chase you for it or send it to a collection agency. They won't care if it was an accident or someone edited the wiki, its your fault, not theirs.

You guys are missing the issue. It isn't so much about whether not someone reads the TOS, as it is about what they put in there.

Legal is not always ethical. Even if they were to post this despicable policy in big bold letters on their home page, the fact remains that the policy is extremely unfair.
    Where is the policy unfair ?

They give you 200GB bandwidth, the OP goes over it, they bill for the additional bandwidth.

They offer a protection to stop any overage if you go over your limit as well, AND they did notify the OP about this issue.

Sure i understand it is a sour apple the OP has to bite, but it is no where extremely unfair.
    »

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Are you saying terms of service are unethical? They don't "hide" anything in their terms of service. You're required to agree to them before signing up.

What's so underhanded about that?
    Phew. </thread>

Disgusting.
    Yes, David, that is what I'm saying. $4 per GB of overage is what is disgusting.

Lets think about this. GD is offering 250 GB of transfer for $4 /month. (less than that, really, if you factor in that transfer is not the only thing accounted for in the monthly fee.) This comes out to 1.6 cents per GB. Now, if that is what you are being charged, you are not going to be even remotely expecting it to increase to $4. That is a 25,000 percent increase, if my math is correct. Even if you had read the terms, you would probably have forgotten about this, and GD knows it.

Furthermore, even if you DID read and remember the terms, there still isn't much you could do about it when your site gets some unexpected traffic.

David, how can you sit there and tell me this is perfectly fair and that people should just have to deal with it. If that is how you run a business, I feel very sorry for your customers.

DISGUSTING
    Last edited by everity; 12-31-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    eVerity.com

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast