Best processor for SQL and web services.

I am just wondering which is the best to choose from the following for a vB forum..

Intel Dual Xeon 2.8GHz , 2GB RAM
    vs
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3GHz , 2GB RAM
    vs
    AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2GHz Dual Core , 4GB RAM

all r having 100MBPS Uplink and I a least worried about the HDD capacity, and there isn't much price difference among the above servers.

What would u guys suggest, which 1 performs better ,processor and memory wise?

How busy is this forum?

Default VB setup, or are there a lot of mods installed?

I think it would be a tossup between the dual 2.8 xeon, and the AMD 64 dual core.

I get around 150 users online at a time and it is heavily hacked with lot of mods.

thx for the reply and even i feel i should go for Xeon.

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM
    - use this with a 64 bit OS
    - go with Raptor, SCSI, or SAS drives if you're not worried about capacity

I think the vB staff recommends 32 bit OS. i am not sure about the apache,php and mySQL performance for vB 3.6.8 with 64 bit linux kernel.I would be opting for a CentOs 5.x 32 bit instead.

thanks layer for the reply and is it because of the 4GB RAM u chose AMD over Xeon?
    Last edited by poprulz; 12-31-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Go for Dual 2.8 Xeon + 4GB RAM to accommodate the load on mysql.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by poprulz View Post
    I think the vB staff recommends 32 bit OS. i am not sure about the apache,php and mySQL performance for vB 3.6.8 with 64 bit linux kernel.I would be opting for a CentOs 5.x 32 bit instead.

thanks layer for the reply and is it because of the 4GB RAM u chose AMD over Xeon?
    There is no reason not to run 64 bit for such a setup. You will not experience vB compatibility issues, etc...

I chose AMD partially due to 4GB RAM but also because these are older Dual Xeons where performance is ~ equal or worse as compared to the X2.

How could you tell that the performance is worse or equal to the X2? Is there anyway to tell? I have been looking for a resource or website that can show me.

Quote Originally Posted by poprulz View Post
    I get around 150 users online at a time and it is heavily hacked with lot of mods.
    I manage a server running vbullettin forum with 300-500 usual online users. Record is 957 online users 13 hours ago (just checked).

It runs really fine on an Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 2gb ram and 2 simple sata2 raid1 disks. Centos 5.1 64bit (why 64bit are supposed to be bad???), eaccelerator and ioncube (for vbseo), no zend.

The server still has plenty of cpu room. I've an average load of 1.00/1.20 out of 4.00.
    Vbullettin database being "just" 600mb in size it's able to run almost completely cached in memory. The server doesn't run any control panel, neither mail servers or a typical hosting environment ... just apache + mysql, and both php and mysql are heavily fine tuned. It still runs a decent number of mods.

I've attached a file of the monthly cpu load. This recent Quad Core 4x2.4ghz cpus really kicks ***. Previously i run one of the first dual core 1,8ghz xeons (before the woodcrest i guess, don't remember), and installing vbseo was really a big cpu hit. While i still was under full capacity i decided to switch to the quad core.

But as you can see i've far more users than 150, so i guess for 150 users it doesn't really matter, as long as you rent (ie are not concerned with power usage) maybe i'd pick the 2.8ghz dual xeon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails localhost-cpu-month.png  
    Last edited by johnny-l; 12-31-2007 at 04:41 AM. Reason: attached a file
    "I want" never gets ...

Dual Xeon is best choose, if you go with 2xdual xeon or 2xquard core you can run without worrying.

Any of those dual core processors will be enough. For an SQL server (unless you have horrible queries) you will be hard drive bandwidth limited before you're ever processor limited. Invest as much as you can in faster drives and more RAM if those processors are your starting point.

However, I'd avoid the Pentium 4 architecture.

I've actually had very good experiences with intensive VBulletin sites on amd's. One of my clients has a vbulletin site with ~900 concurrent visitors running on 8 gb ram, 2x dual core opterons and scsi drives.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

I have Vbulletin about 300 users online, use a dual quad core clovertown (1.6 gHz)...averaging about .16 CPU usage.

Quote Originally Posted by geckofrog View Post
    I have Vbulletin about 300 users online, use a dual quad core clovertown (1.6 gHz)...averaging about .16 CPU usage.
    .16 load average, perhaps?

load average ! = CPU usage

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    .16 load average, perhaps?

load average ! = CPU usage
    correct-o-mundo