Originally from Bolton, England. I have been working in Brussels, Belgium for the last 2.5 years.

Question Fixed IP Address

Hi

I have been reading a lot about search engine positioning and was wondering if it is really necessary to have a fixed IP address to achieve good search engine positioning.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Andy

For a search engine? I doubt that would effect at all.. all has to do with good keywords and a catchy description my friend

No, it is not necessary...

Static IP Address

Hello,

Some shared hosting account is configured with a static IP address. This means that you are given a unique set of numbers (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) specifically assigned to your web space. This allows you to access your web site via a web browser or development tool regardless of the status of your domain name. Having your own IP address also gives you the opportunity of publishing your web site to your new web space before actually transferring your domain name to new hosting providers' DNS.

This results in no down time when transferring your web site from a another hosting company. Also it effects your search engine ranking.

Respects,
    A. Golestan

Having your own IP address also gives you the opportunity of publishing your web site to your new web space before actually transferring your domain name to new hosting providers' DNS.
    You can do this anyway... You will still have an IP address to FTP to, viewing the site is a little harder but not much - place an entry in your hosts file for the site and the shared-IP address. You can view it then - comment it out and you're back to the old one.

This results in no down time when transferring your web site from a another hosting company.
    No downtime is needed with shared IPs either... See above.

Also it effects your search engine ranking.
    Where are you getting this from? Search engine ranking criteria are some of the most guarded secrets in our industry.

I heard from a guy that use to do search engine positioning. That it use to matter, because it took quite some time before search engines supported Name-Based hosting. But, now all of them do.

Originally from Bolton, England. I have been working in Brussels, Belgium for the last 2.5 years.
    Thanks to everyone for their input.

Andy

Even name-based hosts will provide some sort of IP address, but this shouldn't affect anyway that you are listed on search engines.

Whether you share that IP address with 50 other people or it belongs just to you, your site still goes through an IP address whether it be name-based hosting or not. Search engines do not look for the IP addresses, it's all in the domain. Get good keywords and descriptions in your meta tags.
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    info@ClineCommunications.net

The only time your servers IP may affect it is if your being hosted on the same server as a spammer, or someone who spammed his site on the submission pages for a search engine. Google used to, not sure if they still do, block a IP address if a site hosted their spammed their submission
    AC Host Canada – Affordable Canadian Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting | Email Hosting | DNS Hosting | Custom Plans Available

Last I heard they don't anymore. Search engines are all caught up on name-based hosting.

Yeah, most search engines are in the know how of name based hosting...

I believe they used to utilize SpamCop and retrieve some of the black listed IPs.
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    info@ClineCommunications.net

Ok cool. thanks for clarifying that.
    AC Host Canada – Affordable Canadian Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting | Email Hosting | DNS Hosting | Custom Plans Available