Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    difference between 1u and rack prices

    hello,

    when i see best prices for colo on a 42u rack its about 600-800$ for a full rack + 20 amp + 1-5 mbps bandwith
    but when i see the offers for 1u or 2u colo its almost 50-60$.
    Why is there such a big difference?

    Norwin

  2. #2
    You can fit a lot of servers in a 42u rack. 1u or 2u offers are single server only.

  3. #3

    ok

    but 40$ X 42 = 1680$
    so why they aren't selling 1u colo at for example 20$ or so

    norwin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    292
    Norwin,

    It's called "Buying in Volume". We have less work associated with managing a client with a full rack colo versus a 1 or 2U colo client. Hense the higher price for the smaller client. This is a fact of life in any business anywhere.

    Cheers,
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleSouthNet View Post
    Norwin,

    It's called "Buying in Volume". We have less work associated with managing a client with a full rack colo versus a 1 or 2U colo client. Hense the higher price for the smaller client. This is a fact of life in any business anywhere.

    Cheers,
    Additionally, you cannot put 42 servers inside that 42u rack. You don't have enough power.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706

  7. #7
    but that mean it isn't easy for new business to be competitive

    Norwin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    221
    If $20 vs $50 means the difference between your company's success and failure then you need to take another look at your business model
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

  10. #10

    no luck

    the difference isn't 30$ as you mentioned.
    not for me, but for some people who have the talent to start a hosting business the risk is verry high.
    i know a lot of talented nepalese, indian and pakistan businesses and ther 30$ in a busines plan makes real the differenance.
    The only problem is yhat real owners of a datacenter or or bigger hosting cy don't gives to start a good hosting business.
    Indeed everything has to do with VOLUME.
    No everyting has to do with risk of money

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,301
    Also note that with a full cab, you only get 20 amps of power (16 of which is usable). That's enough for only 10-20 servers, depending on the spec of the server. With per U colocation, a provider has to cover the cost of power for each and every U of space that they sell. If they put 40 servers in a rack, the will likely end up needing 40-60 amps of usable power. If you had a full cab and wanted that much power, it would cost you another $400-$800/mo or more, depending on the location. Thus, if you want to be able to put 40 servers in a full cab, your actual per U costs will end up nearly as high as per U colo.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by norwin View Post
    hello,

    when i see best prices for colo on a 42u rack its about 600-800$ for a full rack + 20 amp + 1-5 mbps bandwith
    but when i see the offers for 1u or 2u colo its almost 50-60$.
    Why is there such a big difference?

    Norwin
    The $600-$800/month price for the cabinet with circuit and bandwidth is really four prices rolled into one sales package. For example (just to make up some numbers):

    - space: 42U of cabinet space: $350/month
    - power: one 20A 120v circuit: $275/month
    - bandwidth: $50/month
    - carrying cost to have a customer (invoicing, support, escorted visits, sales and advertising costs amortized over the average contract term, etc.): $25/month
    Total: $700

    In the US, the 120 volt 20 amp circuit is often able to support only about 6 or 7 2U servers, or 8 to 10 1U servers. If you were going to fill your colo cabinet with 2U servers, you might end-up with three 20A circuits, each serving 6 2U servers (36U total); three power strips (3U) and one aggregation switch (1U), and a patch panel (1U).

    So the price for the 2U server might be looked at as:
    - space: 1/18 * $350/month
    - power: 1/6 * $275/month
    - bandwidth: 1/18 * $50/month
    - carrying cost: $25/month
    2U total: $93/month

    These are just made-up numbers, but the cost to supply a 2U colo is more than 1/21 of the cost to provide a 42U cabinet with one 20A circuit.

    For the need you describe (a small business), I would suggest looking at a Virtual Private Server instead of colo. You can upgrade to a dedicated managed server after that. You would probably not want actual colo until you needed to upgrade from several dedicated, managed servers.
    Last edited by Zitibake; 12-30-2007 at 10:50 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,984
    That's absolutely right! For a rack typically we only put a max of 15 servers so as to avoid overheating, 42U does not mean you can really put in 42 servers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    Also note that with a full cab, you only get 20 amps of power (16 of which is usable). That's enough for only 10-20 servers, depending on the spec of the server. With per U colocation, a provider has to cover the cost of power for each and every U of space that they sell. If they put 40 servers in a rack, the will likely end up needing 40-60 amps of usable power. If you had a full cab and wanted that much power, it would cost you another $400-$800/mo or more, depending on the location. Thus, if you want to be able to put 40 servers in a full cab, your actual per U costs will end up nearly as high as per U colo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •