?????? max user connections= 25 ??????

max user connections= 25
    max connections= 500

?????? Can anyone tell me in baby terms what this means exactly? The support person at Hostgator gave me these numbers, but I'm not sure what it all means. He tried explaining it to me but I think I'm too thick skulled or something.

I'm building a Joomla site which uses a mysql database. I'm worried about how many users can be on the site at one time. How many visitors would it take to reach these max limits?

Thanks so much for your help and these forums!

Suzyweb,

Well, essentially when the user first connects to your site (since it's MySQL based) they'll be using a connection. You should still be able to have quite a few users connected -- easily 50-100. As long as they're not all 'actively' browsing you won't run into MySQL limitations.

Honestly, unless your site is insanely active there's no reason for concern.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Put simply, Suzy, it's the number of minimum and maximum simultaneous connections allowed to your website at any one time.
    Zach E. - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

So I can only have 25 registered users on at one time? And the 500 number is for unregistered users? LOL that can't be right. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by suzyweb View Post
    So I can only have 25 registered users on at one time? And the 500 number is for unregistered users? LOL that can't be right. What am I missing here?
    No, you can have hundreds on the site at once. The 25 limitation is for active MySQL connections. Unless you're using persistent MySQL connections (which you're not), the connections close immediately after the user downloads the necessary data.

You'll fit hundreds of guests on 25 connections without issue.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Ok lets make it like this. When you login to the forum that counts as a connection. So if 50 people try to login at the same time there will be an error, because only 25 connections are allowed at the same time. But if your site isn't big than you don't have to worry.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

In PHP, there is a function called mysql_pconnect that will re-use existing MySQL connections by keeping the connection open after it's done, therefore increasing the load on the server, but usually staying within the connection limit. As far as 'unregistered users', that's an application layer issue, related to whether or not the user is registered. It has nothing to do with the maximum number of connections allowed. Of course, should your site ever grow beyond 500 users at a time (or more using persistent sockets), then you will need to increase that limit.

ok I think I understand from your explanations what the 25 number means. But what does the 500 number mean? Thanks so much.

Also is this something Hostgator controls or is this limited by mysql?

500 is the maximum limit for simultaneous connections allowed.

MySQL can be configured to allow as many connections as needed, but is generally modified to meet the host's needs on a case by case basis.

If 50 people all connected at exactly the same time, you would be using 50 connections. But, once a page is loaded (assuming the script is well built, which joomla is) then this connection is stopped. So you can have many people on the site at the same time, until they point 25 people start to load mysql things at the same time.

Not sure about the 500, anyone? (I'm no tech )
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

It's relatively simple, and doesn't take much to explain:

max_user_connections = The max. amount that can connect from your account to MYSQL at a given time.

max_connections = The maximum server connections to MySQL at a given time.

The former is so no one account can hog it all if it's highly active or under an attack. The latter is for the server load itself.

I hope that's about as clear as the mud can get in this case.

Suzy, you can ignore the 500 max_connections ... it doesn't apply to you in any way that matters.

The one that you need to pay attention to is the 25 max_user_connections.

Every time someone (registered or not) loads a page on your website, they must "connect" to MySQL to do it. That is a "connection."

The neat thing is that Joomla does not keep those connections live any longer than it takes to build and show the page -- then it shuts that connection down. So the only way that you can hit the 25 max_user_connections limit is if 25 pages are being loaded at exactly the same time.

Now think about that for a minute. The only way that's going to happen is if:

• 25 people perfectly coordinate their clicks to the exact same split-second; or
    • If you have a lot of people browsing your website at the same time, so that the 25 connections are used at the same time simply through luck.

You will run out of CPU resources at Hostgator long before you hit your 25 MySQL connections.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

wow ok so nothing to worry about then. whew! Thanks so much everyone! This forum is a huge help.

Means that you cannot have more than 25 people accessing the database at the same time, so for example if you have a forum running then you cannot have over 25 people accessing it at the same time otherwise errors will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by markjut View Post
    Means that you cannot have more than 25 people accessing the database at the same time, so for example if you have a forum running then you cannot have over 25 people accessing it at the same time otherwise errors will occur.
    This is true, however it's a tiny bit confusing. It would be 25 people on a forum visit a page at the exact same time. Not to be confused with most popular discussion boards which have a who's online system. This system is basing it on a visitor in the past 15-30 minutes not at the very instant. So 25 connections can handle quite a bit of traffic.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!