New laptop - Vista loaded, what to remove?

Just got a new Acer laptop (previous Acer has done me well and still going strong) and it is loaded with Vista Home Premium. It's obviously different and will take a bit of getting use to and it seems a bit bloated, clocks, calendars etc etc - I have heard that there are bits of it that are superfluous and can be removed with benefit.

Anyone recommend what I should look to remove or modify in Vista to ensure I've got a good and speedy laptop experience?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by grandad View Post

Anyone recommend what I should look to remove or modify in Vista to ensure I've got a good and speedy laptop experience?

TIA
    Remove: Vista
    Install: XP

Seriously though, if you do a Google search you will find several Vista optimization sites to get you started. Just make sure you have a way to start fresh if something goes wrong.

Also check out http://pcdecrapifier.com. The decrapifier was originally just for Dell (XP) bloatware but now it works on a wide range of computers and Vista. Definately worth a look.

Did you get a Vista installation disc? The first thing I always do whenever a client buys a new computer is to reformat and perform a clean install of Windows. Then download all the updated system drivers from Acer's website. Usually there's a significant speed improvement when the system is up and running from a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by CAndycane View Post
    Did you get a Vista installation disc? The first thing I always do whenever a client buys a new computer is to reformat and perform a clean install of Windows. Then download all the updated system drivers from Acer's website. Usually there's a significant speed improvement when the system is up and running from a fresh install.
    No disc, pre-installed with recovery via HDD etc.
    I had problems with the Acer website, couldn't register or do anything else, don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by grandad View Post
    Just got a new Acer laptop (previous Acer has done me well and still going strong) and it is loaded with Vista Home Premium. It's obviously different and will take a bit of getting use to and it seems a bit bloated, clocks, calendars etc etc - I have heard that there are bits of it that are superfluous and can be removed with benefit.

TIA
    what model? i just got an acer yesterday and am loving it.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    what model? i just got an acer yesterday and am loving it.
    Aspire 5720 - good spec and price (for the UK!)

I got the 7720-6569.

I was looking at the 7520-5271 but they were out of it.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Evening:

Is the bloat you are seeing from Vista itself or from third party programs that were pre-installed by Acer? If it's from Vista, you can turn off just about everything and save yourself a reinstall.

If Acer decided to install a lot of third party programs, then I would go ahead with a nice clean install. Most computer manufacturers will ship you the actual OS CD for little to no cost if you call tech support and request. That might be an option if you want to get rid of Acer's hidden OS recovery partition to claim the HD space.
    TradeViceroy

Quote Originally Posted by Squorpeeon
    I agree totally!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Remove your Vista and install with XP if you want it become smooch or get a powerful laptop which is Dell or HP. They have a very powerful system.

XP Pro runs much faster... unless of course you want the whole 3D animations on the GUI... then.... you are simply stuck.

good luck...

I switched to OSX recently cause i DIDN'T want to switch to Vista...

P.S. My Sony Laptop is Vista Though and OVERALL.... I am having NO Issues with it.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

If you want to stay with Vista, I strongly recommend you create a vLited Vista DVD with all the crud removed, install it, and tweak it as much as you can. I'd personally wait until SP1 comes out and would slipstream that into the vLite install as well. If you want to squeeze the most speed out of your laptop and don't care for DX10 and some of the other non-graphic features Vista brings, XP Pro SP2 would be the way to go. You can nLite and tweak that install as well; I also recommend the addition of the RyanVM Post-SP2 Update Pack and TweakUI.

As for what you should remove from Vista, in terms of space, I'd go for the speech/text-to-speech support; it's nearly 2GB (or vLite reported it as such). In terms of other components, google for Vista tweaking guides; they'll inform you of what everything does and what is safe to remove.

Just keep vista, i got my laptop from pc world and i said can you special order for windows xp and they said no, we do not offer xp anymore and if you install windows cp you may void your warrenty, dam it lol but i have to admit i have had no real issues yet
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squorpeeon View Post
    Close!

Remove: Windows

Mine is acer 5720 , I tried both (Xp &Xp - 64 bits) and Vista
    With Vista the ram was taking over thne 800 MB on starting up!
    after moding Vista i manged to get it down too 500~550 MB
    With XP , i had problem with my Camera & Wireless (Both on 32 and 64 + sound) but probably now you wont even going to have it due to the drivers on acer page

Now days i am using Ubuntu on this laptop (Problem with X3100 drivers so i wont suggest it too you , other wise every things works fine)

Install XP, it works much faster and stable, Vista takes ways to much RAM..

i hate it too

I agree with 100%
    I want to get rid of mine also, but I was just waiting until I need to actually format the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Squorpeeon View Post
    lol agreed..

but first remove all games / side bar application / autoruns / hmm i deleted a whole bunch of stuff now mine runs fine..but i do have 2G of ram in my laptop....
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewskii View Post
    lol agreed..

but first remove all games / side bar application / autoruns / hmm i deleted a whole bunch of stuff now mine runs fine..but i do have 2G of ram in my laptop....
    Removing all these will make Vista an XP

Format and install Windows XP Pro with the new SP3. I've read from CNET that it is Vista's best Service Pac.
    "I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it!"

Vern
    http://vernsdidj.com didgeridoo stuff