Question New to Managed Dedicated Servers and need advice

I have 6 VPS Servers with Verio and the new product line with Apache2, PHP5 and MySQL5 use an in house Control Panel that has been slow to develop and it turns out that it does not follow their own recomended practices for server reliability. Enough about that.

Three of these VPS Servers are resold to single customers. The other three have up to 30 domain hosting accounts on them with an average of about 5 email users per domain. So I was thinking that a single dedicated server with a real control panel like Plesk could host all of these accounts and perform much better than the individual VPS accounts. Not to mention it should cost less money and increase my margin.

So, I have quotes from Rackspace, Peer 1, and SoftLayer and am looking for some thoughtful contemplation.

I provide Web and Email hosting for my clients. I like to stay current with technology and I do want to use SpamAssassin for email filtering with a way for the end user to manage whitelist, score threashholds and what not.

Rackspace

· Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
    · Standard-built Tower Server
    · Single Processor, Dual Core AMD Opteron 1212
    · 2 GB Memory
    · 2 x 250 GB SATA Drive
    · Raid 1 ( Hardware Raid )
    · 100 Mbps
    Drive Partitions
    · /boot - 100 MB, swap - 1024 MB, /tmp – 2048 MB, / - remainder
    External Storage Connection(s)
    · Private Backup Network Connection
    Rackwatch Platinum Port Monitoring
    · Ping and TCP Port 80
    · Choice of 6 Additional Ports to be Monitored (eg. FTP, SSH, DNS, POP3, MSSQL)
    · 5 Minute Polling
    · Automated Ticket Creation and Response in Accordance with Support Policy
    Plesk 8.1 Reloaded 100 domains
    Managed Backup
    · 25 GB Per Week
    · Initial Setup, Configuration and Monitoring
    · Configurable for Daily Full, Differential or Incremental Backups
    · Automatic Tape Rotation
    · 2 Week On-site Retention
    1000GB Transfer
    16 IP addresses
    $425/month no setup fee with long term contract

PEER 1

AMD Dual Core Series "Professional" Dedicated Server:
    2 x AMD Dual Core CPU
    2 GB DDR RAM
    2 x 250 GB SATA HD, RAID1
    1 TB Monthly Transfer
    Managed Backup: IBM Tivoli software to EMC Storage Area Network (SAN) based daily incremental backup; Disk to disk backup which is about 10x faster then tape backup; 30 day retention period or 6 revisions; Up to 30 GB / per server;
    Plesk v.8.2 for Linux - up to 100 domains
    Managed Security: ControlScan Bi-Weekly Vulnerability Scan Service; Bi-weekly scan for over 14,000 vulnerabilities; Report documents potential issues includes links with fix and notes from PEER 1
    Managed Patching for Red Hat Servers: Maintain security patches for RHEL 5.0 OS; Apache Web Server
    Aggregate Data Transfer: Solution comes with 1000 GB per Month
    $415.85/month
    $335 setup including something about SpamAssasin Plesk add-on

SoftLayer

Single Processor Dual Core Xeon 3060 - 2.40GHz (Core2Duo) - 1 x 4MB cache
    2 GB DDR2 667
    Remote Management
    Reboot / Remote Console
    Uplink Port Speeds
    100 Mbps Public & Private Networks
    Public Network Port
    100 Mbps public uplink public_port
    Private Network Port
    100 Mbps private uplink service_port
    Public Bandwidth
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Primary IP Addresses
    1 IP Address
    Secondary IP Addresses
    8 IP Addresses
    Disk Controller
    SATA RAID 1 Disk Controller
    First Hard Drive
    250GB SATA II
    Second Hard Drive
    250GB SATA II
    Lockbox
    1 GB Lockbox
    EVault
    40GB EVault Disk to Disk Enterprise Backup
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux - 5 (32 bit)
    Plesk 8.2 - Linux - 100 Domain w/ Power Pack
    MySQL for Linux
    Urchin 5
    Host Ping and TCP Service Monitoring
    Notification - Email and Ticket
    Response - Automated Notification
    Network IDS/IPS Protection
    APF Software Firewall for Linux
    Unlimited SSL VPN Users & 1 PPTP VPN User per account
    Nessus Vulnerability Assessment & Reporting
    $318.00 / month
    $29.00 setup

Obviously this in not apples to apples as it has some to do with what was available as a special or more IP addresses were thrown in to sweaten the pot. Also the three providers have different options for Backup and security.

I do not want to pay $100/month for a harware firewall, but I have never done Dedicated before so I welcome advice on this as well.

What do you think?

questions i have are this. what is the price for overage on the bandwidth for those qoutes. upto 33tb. also i know for sure that Verio does not share there 100mbps connections. but i dont know about the others in the qoutes. have you got a quote from Verio?

I can say check out the dedicated server offers section and do alot of scanning the forums. No one can make you offers here in the thread.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

but I like that you posted both of the quotes you recieved here. I think that everytime you get a quote you should update it here, just edit the top post, also let people know how your experience goes with the sales staff, and see if they will let you talk to tech support without having a server with them.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

I have no concerns about going over, but I will be sure to get clear on the bandwidth overage charges. I know that SoftLayer charges 10 cents per GB for overages.

I didn't think to get a Verio quote. I was only familiar with the ViaVerio offerings and now I see they do straight managed dedicated. I have submitted a request for quote and will see what they have to say. Honestly, I am so disappointed with one of my current ViaVerio products that they may have to give me a refund on the entire thing before they win my business. It is that pathetic. I am sure that won't happen so I better try to compare them fairly.

I don't see Verio dedicated mentioned here very much. I see you do adult hosting and I don't want to change the topic, but there are some that are really hot with Verio for hosting such content. I am more liberal minded, but I try to keep aware of how such things can effect my business.

Like Hivelocity recommended, I suggest you look into the dedicated server offers section. You will most likely find a host there that will meet your needs. Good luck.

FYI - I signed with RackSpace today. Reliable Penguin will handle the migration and I won't be adding server managment beyond what RackSpace provides.

A full account of how everything goes will follow.

Thanks for all your help.

The RAckspace's offer looked semmed to be better than other so I think made the right decision. I'd only say that if you were about to go with some of the smaller managed host you'd get more powerful machine and more personalized support for the money you paid.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Thanks. I was thinking of going that way, but I decided to pay more for what I hope to be reliability and piece of mind.

Acunett and AxisHOST had my attention from what people have posted here and the prices on the Website, but after emailing Acunett and submitting the Web form with AxisHOST and never got a answer even to this minute. They had all morning to try and compete for my business but they never contacted me. That helped seal the deal with RackSpace as Jacy was very persistent since we first spoke. Called me a couple of times on Saturday (he had my permission, but I was ducking him) and first thing this morning to make sure I didn't miss the specials of the month.

I am a small business and I take off the holidays and weekends when I can. I don't begrudge small business people taking time off, but I was trying to make a decision and only players who were available could participate.

I am looking very forward to my new server and have great confidence in Reliable Penguin who will handle the migration. I anticipate writing positive reviews of both RS and RP when complete.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyBri View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking of going that way, but I decided to pay more for what I hope to be reliability and piece of mind.

Acunett and AxisHOST had my attention from what people have posted here and the prices on the Website, but after emailing Acunett and submitting the Web form with AxisHOST and never got a answer even to this minute. They had all morning to try and compete for my business but they never contacted me. That helped seal the deal with RackSpace as Jacy was very persistent since we first spoke. Called me a couple of times on Saturday (he had my permission, but I was ducking him) and first thing this morning to make sure I didn't miss the specials of the month.

I am a small business and I take off the holidays and weekends when I can. I don't begrudge small business people taking time off, but I was trying to make a decision and only players who were available could participate.

I am looking very forward to my new server and have great confidence in Reliable Penguin who will handle the migration. I anticipate writing positive reviews of both RS and RP when complete.
    Before signing with Rack space I would have advised you to do a search on WHT about issues that Rack Space has. Their support is lacking as I had a server with them for a few months.

Going with Softlayer and hiring PSM for $29/month would have been the better move.

Hope everything goes well with you!

SoftLayer was a serious consideration and almost won my business. I like Plesk better than cPanel and PSM emailed me very fast "...we don't support Plesk...."

Searching WHT proved very valuable, and I have to let my 10 years experience in the hosting business guide me along as well. I have known about RackSpace for a long time. I have a couple of customers that use them. I am listed as a contact for a customer's server and get regular email from them. I have used their support who has gone over and above the scope of service for me on more than one occasion.

I guess you could say that RackSpace had an advantage all along, but I really did almost go with SoftLayer + management company. I spoke with some competent people who thought that the "managed" part of RackSpace was all they felt I needed.

Note on PSM: They have a lot of clients at $29 and I considered using cPanel and PSM during the process. The way that people defend PSM whenever someone has a bad experience or questions the viability of their cost model smacks of religious zealotry. This is business, and things like viability and quality service trump loyalty with me.

Loyalty is good. I have loyal customers. I gain that loyalty every day with the service I provide. If I have a few more errors (loved the distinction I read on here) than my customers feel their business can suffer I would expect them to make the best decision for their business. Much the same way that I am making the best decision for mine by moving from Verio after 10 years.

[SIZE=2] but after emailing Acunett and submitting the Web form with AxisHOST and never got a answer even to this minute. They had all morning to try and compete for my business but they never contacted me.
    Its New Years Eve and even though support is alive and well, we only have 1 sales person on today. Unfortunately, today, we simply can't answer you within the few hours that you required this morning.

Wish you all the best with Rackspace.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Few hours? Read the time of that post. You had all day. Better luck next time. I hear great things about AxisHOST.

Few hours? Read the time of that post. You had all day. Better luck next time. I hear great things about AxisHOST.
    Your ticket was posted to us around 9 am. You said you were being pressured by Rackspace to sign today and that you wanted to make a decision this morning. It appeared you needed a reply by noon.

No hard feelings, honest. All of the companies you mentioned have pretty solid reputations. I'm positive you'll do just fine.

Happy New Year to all! (gotta go figure out which network has the best countdown now...ta!)

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)