To gnome or not to gnome!

I ordered a 512mb/50gb VPS from Ray with BigVps/Colo4jax yesterday around 1:31 pm. I am hoping to have it in the next 20 hours or so. I will be reviewing the process along the way. I have read great stuff on here about Ray and Colo4jax.

My post is about VPS's and administration. I definately am not a linux professional and this would be my first VPS but I am pretty good on my toes and been an IT guy since I had a diaper. The concept of VPS's are very familar to me due to the fact I am a VMWare VCP in which their product is a direct competitor to Xen, Virtusso, and MS Virtual Server.

So back to my question, I requested Ubuntu to be installed as the operating system. I plan on using Webmin, VirtualMin, and Usermin in lieu of cPanel/Plesk. In came to me that I have a ubuntu box running on a VM in the garage at home, so I updated it and started playing with it after I ordered my VPS from Ray yesterday.

I have really been impressed with the system thus far. I have installed apache, proftpd, postfix, webmin, virtualmin, usermin, Dovecot, and worked out a couple php issues.

I even setup my client desktop to use my Ubox as its DNS server, so I could start "test migrating" my domains. I have imported 2 of my domains from a cpanel backup and worked out some minor issues here and there. So theoretically I have duplicated my production environment out in my garage. The only thing I am still having minor issues with is some mail. I feel thats probably due to some DNS resolution.

*out of breath* Now to my questions, I have done all this admistration in gnome or whatever that comes with ubuntu. The main piece that has been instrumental is the package manager. I think I can replace the rest of the stuff with ftp and nano. Alot of the config stuff is done through webmin anyways. After asking Ray today, he said they just install the base and ssh but I am welcome to install X / Gnome.

My questions:

1. Should I install gnome for management purposes, or just a waste of resources? I am currently running about ~220mb memory on my box in the garage with gnome running.
    2. Is there a command line version package utility? Does it keep track of updates like the gnome one? I like the fact that I can log into gnome and it says you have 32 packages that need updating, click GO or whatever.
    3. What else might I be missing in this picture of VPS self management?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback.

CypSteel
    Last edited by CypSteel; 12-28-2007 at 08:01 PM.

I absolutely advise 100% AGAINST using a Desktop on a server, its completely pointless and a total resource hog, everything you do via a GUI can be done via Terminal.

As with most things on Linux, the package manager you see on Gnome is just a pretty interface for a command-line application called Aptitude, I suggest you do a quick google search to find a tutorial but its a simple as

apt-get install apache
    to install apache, and

apt-get upgrade
    to update your current packages.

There are a few more commands you'll need to know but there are literally millions of tutorials, guides, FAQ's and README's on installing, setting up and managing an Ubuntu server via Terminal.

Also, Webmin is incredibly powerful for managing servers via a web interface, if your looking for pretty it up a little, get the StressFree theme (http://www.stress-free.co.nz/webmin-theme).

Thanks for the great information Danny. And I agree totally, I was a little scared about not having cPanel on the box, but after playing with webmin yesterday and today, I feel confident it can do everything cPanel can do, just in different ways.

I did see that Tiger Stress Free skin while on the virtualmin/webmin site. I am currently using the VirtualMin Framed skin on webmin/virtualmin/usermin. It seems to work very good for my needs. I seen a post saying the Tiger Stress Free didn't utilize the virtualmin stuff so I didn't try it. I will give it a shot tonight on my ubox.

Quote Originally Posted by CypSteel View Post
    Thanks for the great information Danny. And I agree totally, I was a little scared about not having cPanel on the box, but after playing with webmin yesterday and today, I feel confident it can do everything cPanel can do, just in different ways.

I did see that Tiger Stress Free skin while on the virtualmin/webmin site. I am currently using the VirtualMin Framed skin on webmin/virtualmin/usermin. It seems to work very good for my needs. I seen a post saying the Tiger Stress Free didn't utilize the virtualmin stuff so I didn't try it. I will give it a shot tonight on my ubox.
    Webmin isn't a very recognised control panel, people see it on VPS providers and wonder why it's usually cheaper. It's just as good as cPanel, although I can say that LXAdmin is no where near as complex.

Kindest Regards,
    Jason S

Bear in mind that a GUI is just a colorful mousy layer between you and the CLI. It's packaging, not function.

GUI:graphical user interface
    CLI:command line interface

Question: is 'aptitude' only on Debian? or does Ubuntu use it also?

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    Bear in mind that a GUI is just a colorful mousy layer between you and the CLI. It's packaging, not function.

I agree with everyone else, unless you have an application that requires a GUI to operate, than there should be no reason to run GNOME on your VPS.

Ubuntu is based off debian, and as such includes apt-get and aptitude.

Aptitude, the n-curses gui for apt-get, is available on Ubuntu. The same goes for "dselect" (another gui for debian package manager).

edit: ops, i'm late
    "I want" never gets ...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeData View Post
    Webmin isn't a very recognised control panel.
    You have to keep in mind that Webmin by itself isn't designed for managing web hosting clients, it a complete server management tool. In this regard, it is a very well recognized and an extremely popular control panel.

Exactly, you worded it a lot better than I did.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, so it incorporates a lot of its features, such as the Debian Package Manager (and hence, Aptitude).

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    You have to keep in mind that Webmin by itself isn't designed for managing web hosting clients, it a complete server management tool. In this regard, it is a very well recognized and an extremely popular control panel.
    Correct. Webmin offers an addon module called Virtualmin (free/GPL or commercial version) that provides the features for client web hosting: http://www.webmin.com/virtualmin.html