Thread: Layout question

Layout question

If the layout looks fine on your screen and you checked to make sure that it look fine in all resolutions, does that guarantee that what you see on your monitor is what others will see as well? I only have one computer so I can't take my site and check on another computer to make sure.

No. How your site will look is dependant on a number of factors including (but not limited to):

- Operating System
    - Web Browser (and version)
    - Resolution
    - Colour depth
    - and more.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

What shaunewing said, but add in
    - Intoxication level

Originally posted by DoobyWho
    What shaunewing said, but add in
    - Intoxication level
    Yes, a few drinks do tend to change how you view websites - whether or not it has a good or bad influence is at the discretion of the viewer

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

If you use old standard html, no stylesheets or dhtml, you're pretty close. If you use new html code, dhtml and stylesheets, then I can almost garantee it will look different.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Originally posted by reptilian-fe
    If you use old standard html, no stylesheets or dhtml, you're pretty close. If you use new html code, dhtml and stylesheets, then I can almost garantee it will look different.
    Yeah; I've noticed huge differences especially when using older browser versions.

I try to stay away from stylesheets where possible. They do make life easier, but can be the cause of a lot of hassles later on.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Style sheets? As in CSS?

Yes mam/sir. CSS = Cascading Style Sheet

How can they become a hassle? And it's mam

I don't really know. Heh. Maybe some stone age browser doesn't support it.

Netscape and Internet explorer is using different versions of most of the advanced tags, like the ones you use when doing advanced layouts and designs. That means you have to make two versions of each page, and put a script in it to point the browser to the right version. Some other browsers don't support any of the advanced stuff, as far as I know. And the browser have to be over version 4 or something like that.

Basic css with basic codes for fonts and such is ok, but that's because it's old code.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Originally posted by shaunewing
    I try to stay away from stylesheets where possible. They do make life easier, but can be the cause of a lot of hassles later on.
    No, it's hard in the short term but they will cause almost no problems in the future. It's call forward compatability.

Originally posted by reptilian-fe
    Netscape and Internet explorer is using different versions of most of the advanced tags, like the ones you use when doing advanced layouts and designs. That means you have to make two versions of each page, and put a script in it to point the browser to the right version.
    I have never had to do that....

You can make a site that is HTML 4.1 or XHTML 1/2 and CSS 2 compliant without using tables that looks amazing in both Netscape and IE, on Windows and Mac OS.
    Colin

Originally posted by Dogma

No, it's hard in the short term but they will cause almost no problems in the future. It's call forward compatability.
    They work fine with current browsers - but try them on the older browsers; especially with a site that depends on CSS and it looks absolutely horrible.

I've even had some instances where certain older browsers include the inline CSS code in the page so it's all visible.

I try to design my sites to cater for most browser versions from 3+ because my statistics still state that some people are using those browsers.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by shaunewing
    They work fine with current browsers - but try them on the older browsers; especially with a site that depends on CSS and it looks absolutely horrible.
    You got me on version 3 browsers, but I have seen CSS sites that look quite nice in version 4 browsers. It's a PITA, but it can be done.

The code is a lot lighter, it's forward compatable, and it rocks. What's not to like?
    Colin

Originally posted by Dogma

You got me on version 3 browsers, but I have seen CSS sites that look quite nice in version 4 browsers. It's a PITA, but it can be done.

The code is a lot lighter, it's forward compatible, and it rocks. What's not to like?
    Nothing not to like except for the older browser issue. I'm seriously considering using CSS for my personal site which I'm about to redesign - but for business related sites where incompatibilities may turn potential customers away; I'm not quite ready to make that change yet.

Give it another few months and I probably will use it as more people move into the 5+ browser versions.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

The way I see it, those that are still using v3 browsers should be already expecting lots of broken designs and websites. I use CSS a lot, and not doing anything currently for them. If I'm going to do anything for them, I will use PHP to detect them and display the printer friendly website for them, maybe with some extra navigation.

I believe those who are still using v3 browsers don't have any intention or ability to upgrade in the near or far future. So it's a waste of my time to wait for them.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates