Question Should I offer unlimited Reseller Hosting?

Ok so I know some people here will have very set views on 'Unlimited' Hosting packages... but it seems everyone is offering unlimited hosting.

Anyway the question is do people want unlimited packages? I could offer unlimited reseller hosting for £x.xx and just make sure that when each server gets to around 60 - 65 % usage (I really don’t like to go any higher than that) then add a new server. I know this is a risk as I could find that some servers are running at a loss... however I don’t see much of an option if that’s what people are looking for?

I know that unlimited is such an open ended term, but if you have a well defended TOS then you should be relatively safe offering such accounts?

Anyway all opinions appreciated!

In my opinion I wouldn't offer anything Unlimited, because there is no such thing as Unlimited hosting.

Although I found that the word 'Unmetered' could be better to use.

- Danny

Thanks Danny, I've seem a few accounts listed as unmetered, but cant really see the difference? and normally only see it in relation to Bandwidth ?

John

If you do "unlimited" hosting, no one will really buy it since theyd think its a scam, so i wouldent. just like he said above. i think unmetered is better.

This is the way I understand them;

Unlimited - Means you have to provide the client with however much bandwidth/disk space they want. So, if they wanted to use 1TB disk space, You will have to provide them with that.

Unmetered - E.G, The client can use how much disk space they want, but you dont have to provide it.

Thats how I've always understood them two words anyway.

- Danny.
    Last edited by dannym031292; 12-28-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling Errors.

Thanks for the Advice guys I think i'll look in to unmetered accounts. but maybe i will just stick to well priced limited planns

John

Unlimited is good for quick sales on shared hosting, most customers won't use the allowance. I wouldn't offer it on Reseller accounts as these resellers will then be wondering why they can't use 100GB, 1,000GB since you have promised them unlimited.

Unlimited reseller hosting for around $xxx.xx/mth, yeah sure, that's slightly possible, but not for $x.xx/mth.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

The term unmetered is extremely vague and when a server becomes full you can just say, it's unmetered, NOT unlimited. IMO unmetered simply means you put a bunch of clients on a server, stop when cpu load gets too high, NOT resources, then let them use whatever they want till the server is full/runs out of bandwidth then thats it.

Having said that, we don't offer unmetered packages, because it's such a vague area of hosting, and not possible to provide in many cases.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!