Do control panels slow down server performance?

I am upgrading to a more powerful dedicated server and I am contemplating whether to have WHM/Cpanel installed on my new dedicated server.

I heard that having a control panel installed slows down server performance. I will be using my server to the limit, using up Apache and MySQL resources intensively.

I have a WHM/Cpanel on my old server, and I only use it for phpMyAdmin and to occasionally add/remove/edit an account in WHM, as I don't know much SSH and have fully managed servers.

So, if I go without a control panel, will my server be faster? What are pros and cons?

First of all you should check if your server is still fully managed if you do not have your control-panel anymore, many companies only deliver fully managed servers if cPanel or another control-panel is installed, as this makes the server administration easier for them.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Just to clarify, I am not running a hosting biz, I am just hosting a few of my own websites.

I asked and my host will still provide managed support if without a control panel.

I would say if you are not using it why pay for it. The different programs that come with WHM/CPanel can use many resources. If you just need apache, mysql, and phpmyadmin you could probaly ask your provider to simply install those for you or do it yourself.

WHM/Cpanel will save most of administrator time and easy to track every thing, otherwise you can ask them to install apache,php,mysql if you are entitled to managed service

You could always go with Webmin, its not half as resource intensive as WHM and its great for server admin, and its free.
    Peakhost.com Hosting
    Quality hosting since 2001
    http://peakhost.com