1and1 Enterprize II...opinion please

Hi all

I have read a lots bad thing about 1and1.com through this forum and google search. Most proplem people have with their support and pay $4 buck a month with a lot expectation

I currently have two dedicated server at oneandone.com Manager I and II and i am thinking buy a Enterprise server ($400). I know, i know there are a lot bad things oneandone.com but look at their bandwidth and disk space i couldnt find anywhere close to it. So far i dont have any problem with their dedicated server.

$400 per month is a lots money and i hope someone in here have any experience with enterprise server can give me some opinion

Many Thanks advance

I am using their servers in the past 1 year. all are windows servers and i didn't faced any problem yet. even a single down time issue. their network and server specs are really good. also the bandwidth. all are saying their support is not good. but i didn't get a chance to contact their technical support in this duration. the windows servers and their network rocks @ 1and1. but i don't know about their customer support. is you are not looking for managed service, then you can go with them. if it is managed, then you may try someone's suggestions here. thank you.

You should try to see if some other providers will try to match what another company is offering. You might be surprised.

Also, cheaper isn't always the best way to go. If your flipping a house and you put linoleum tile in it, don't expect to get the return you would with porcelain.

Best of Luck!
    David Infinger - Sago Networks -
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Load Balanced Clusters | 2 World Class Datacenters | Affordable Management
    (866) 366-3640 Extn. 3020
    AIM: SagoDavid | Yahoo: Sago_David | ICQ: 405357708

I've been using them for about two years for a dedicated server running fedora -- their connectivity and the machine they've supplied have been rock solid..

BUT

You're totally, 100%, fecked should you need their technical support for anything... Phone support always goes to front line (the type frequently with shaky English skills reading from script cards); front line can't escalate anything; their support is admittedly 1-2 people on the weekends; emailed requests have never had shorter than a 24 hour turn around time in my experience.

My current woe is that the backup server has been offline for 10+ days now. The first 5 days, i got no response from the server team, just inept front line people saying they'd forward my concern to the server team.
    ... then the server team said the hardware to fix the backup server was on order (and that they were unable to give me an ftp login on any machine in their entire network so i could at least house a backup copy elsewhere (and that the existence of a backup server was simply a courtesy they provide and not part of what i pay for)). Then, 3 days ago, they said they were rebuilding the RAID array. No responses over the weekend, of course. Still down as the world's slowest RAID rebuild goes on.

The support is totally useless and leaves you at their whimsical mercy (even emailing the CEO, asking him to take a pause from his jejune photo trip (username andreasgauger on Flickr) to address this has, unsurprisingly i suppose, failed to generate a response).

I guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by quarkdoll View Post
    I've been using them for about two years for a dedicated server running fedora -- their connectivity and the machine they've supplied have been rock solid..

BUT

You're totally, 100%, fecked should you need their technical support for anything... Phone support always goes to front line (the type frequently with shaky English skills reading from script cards); front line can't escalate anything; their support is admittedly 1-2 people on the weekends; emailed requests have never had shorter than a 24 hour turn around time in my experience.

My current woe is that the backup server has been offline for 10+ days now. The first 5 days, i got no response from the server team, just inept front line people saying they'd forward my concern to the server team.
    ... then the server team said the hardware to fix the backup server was on order (and that they were unable to give me an ftp login on any machine in their entire network so i could at least house a backup copy elsewhere (and that the existence of a backup server was simply a courtesy they provide and not part of what i pay for)). Then, 3 days ago, they said they were rebuilding the RAID array. No responses over the weekend, of course. Still down as the world's slowest RAID rebuild goes on.

The support is totally useless and leaves you at their whimsical mercy (even emailing the CEO, asking him to take a pause from his jejune photo trip (username andreasgauger on Flickr) to address this has, unsurprisingly i suppose, failed to generate a response).

I guess you get what you pay for.

That sound very scary..so did you mange to backup all your files?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    That sound very scary..so did you mange to backup all your files?
    I've nearly been broken to the point where i will indeed pay for web hosting elsewhere (definitely not 1&1) in order that i have space somewhere to temporarily put backups.. :- (

As an update - i did end up biting the bullet and getting an adequately sized, bandwidthed, cheap web-hosting from ServerFly on which to temporarily house my backups.

That being said, today (unfortunately after the fact) i received an email from Richard Winslow at 1&1 (i had found his email address in another 1&1 rant in this forum, listed as someone who actually gives a crap). He offered to refund me the cost were i to get a 1&1 web hosting plan as a spot to FTP off to; upon thanking him but pointing out that i'd chosen an earlier option and would like to not be charged bandwidth overages should i get them for offloading my backups he replied with an email that was so 'get to the bottom of this', and offering fiduciary compensations, that i feel notably better (despite it now being 14+ days with no backup server (and that fingerless luddite dwarves could be coached, over the phone, to build a backup server in half that time)).

I just hope things change for the better (and i never need server support again).

My 2 cents on this subject is basically to echo what is said above << removed >>. I have 5 business server I (windows) machines with them. I too have called and talked with an english speaking guy in support (level 2 I believe) but still not in the data (freaking) center! and he was actually very friendly and helpful and said the raid array housing the backup ftps had reached capacity and they'd put the drives into read-only mode. He mentioned several times how hugs this array is and I have no doubt but being impressed doesn't really help much. He said that he received emails from the data center and was told they had still not decided whether to add drives to the array or to move some customers off to a different array. A decision would certainly be nice.

To my experiences with their services (had ded servers since 8/07). I have had about 2 periods of downtime (1 about 30 mins and another almost an hour which both times was a network issue or router issue of some sort on their end). Apart from that their network/hardware is rock solid and fantastic.

I have a contact in their PA office who is just fantastic and actually gives a crap and has helped me on several occasions but he again is not in the data center and can only do so much. He acknowledges their support issue and promises me good things are coming. I have all but begged him to please get real dedicated server support where you can contact the data center directly (why is that too much to ask). He does admit this is a European arrogance issue (and he is Euro himself by the way but totally awesome and actually returns my calls - yeah I know sounds like I am making this up).

Anyhow I love their features (the remote reboot and serial connection features have saved my butt a few times and I'd be hard pressed to be without them now). However I am SCARED TO DEATH of if and when I have a hardware issue as I can see I will be left hanging with no one to talk to about the issue who can help.

Just as a side note on this I also had a Windows VPS for a few months and wow was it fast (dual quad core processor raid machines) however it had a hardware failure about a month ago and was down for just over 24 hrs - this sent a chill of reality through my spine on their lack of support. The worst thing is not knowing or being able to call anyone.

To summarize and agree with all above, their services are fantastic but you better pray hard every night that you don't have a critical failure. I have 1 server right now that is giving me SQL Server Windows Event errors telling me there is a hardware failure, all is running fine though but I suspect something is going south but have no clue how to get this looked at on 1&1's side.

By the way I would be very interested in another hosts with comparable offerings but I cannot find one, none have raid standard that I see like 1&1 does for example and I can't find any hosts that don't have something negative logged at some point. I expect every host to have an issue at some point but communication of this issue and eta of fix is all I ask/wish for.
    Last edited by writespeak; 01-30-2008 at 01:19 PM.

As a post-postmortem to the backup server issue - they did manage to get it back up ~19 days after it went down. They lost all of the data which was on there, at least for my account, and sent out the following email:
    ----
    Customer ID: XXXXX

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

We have recently experienced difficulty with one of our FTP backup
    data servers. Regrettably, while correcting the issue, some users'
    backup files were lost.

This instance arose due to an unexpected occurrence, and we have
    taken measures to prevent future recurrences of this and related
    issues.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We would like to
    ask you to please run a full backup set for any data that was
    stored in the following directory or directories:

bakXXXXX

If you encounter any problems, please contact our friendly and
    expert Support Team for assistance at [email protected].

We thank you for your understanding and your patience. If you have
    any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

1&1 Internet Inc.
    1and1.com

Have 7 Servers with them and never had a problem, 100% uptime and every time I've needed support they have been there!

if they weren't that good they wouldn't be getting $2859 a month from me would they

Interesting - no one's differing in your report on the uptime part of things - the support though: that's surprising that you've had consistently good experiences. (Maybe you really do get what you pay for - that were i paying nearly three grand a month, i would get better treatment from more knowledgeable support tech...)

Quote Originally Posted by quarkdoll View Post
    As a post-postmortem to the backup server issue - they did manage to get it back up ~19 days after it went down. They lost all of the data which was on there, at least for my account, and sent out the following email:
    ----
    Customer ID: XXXXX

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

We have recently experienced difficulty with one of our FTP backup
    data servers. Regrettably, while correcting the issue, some users'
    backup files were lost.

This instance arose due to an unexpected occurrence, and we have
    taken measures to prevent future recurrences of this and related
    issues.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We would like to
    ask you to please run a full backup set for any data that was
    stored in the following directory or directories:

bakXXXXX

If you encounter any problems, please contact our friendly and
    expert Support Team for assistance at [email protected].

We thank you for your understanding and your patience. If you have
    any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

1&1 Internet Inc.
    1and1.com
    Interesting, so which backup servers do you use as we have access to 254 and 260 and they are still in read-only mode (since 12/29/07) ?

Quote Originally Posted by DocHost View Post
    Have 7 Servers with them and never had a problem, 100% uptime and every time I've needed support they have been there!

if they weren't that good they wouldn't be getting $2859 a month from me would they
    Wow, a glimmer of hope for their support - I also agree uptime is fantastic its just the concern of if an when their is a problem will someone be there?

So if you've had 100% uptime how and why have you
    1) needed to use support
    2) in what capacity and which level did you actually speak to as I've never gotten past the english speaking dedicated server support team that are in PA (not the data center) and they only communicate with the data center guys via email? In fairness I have had some good/educated responses from these guys in the past but ultimately all they can do is pass on updates from the data center.

Quote Originally Posted by centralusa View Post
    Wow, a glimmer of hope for their support - I also agree uptime is fantastic its just the concern of if an when their is a problem will someone be there?

So if you've had 100% uptime how and why have you
    1) needed to use support
    2) in what capacity and which level did you actually speak to as I've never gotten past the english speaking dedicated server support team that are in PA (not the data center) and they only communicate with the data center guys via email? In fairness I have had some good/educated responses from these guys in the past but ultimately all they can do is pass on updates from the data center.
    To ask a few things, about the server and they’re network setup and such and every time I have needed to speak to a tech or anyone above that, my call was transferred to the people whom I wanted to speak to.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHost View Post
    To ask a few things, about the server and they’re network setup and such and every time I have needed to speak to a tech or anyone above that, my call was transferred to the people whom I wanted to speak to.
    OK, as I thought, that dissappointing as I thought we'd all (1and1 dedicated server customers) get some inside tips from you on getting to top level tech support as I'm sure it there its just easier reaching the oval office then these guys.

Just to make this clear I am a 1and1 customer with 4+ dedicated servers with them as of this moment. My point was though that you have not actually yet dealt with "real support" meaning generic questions are not top level support. Support is "hey I have a hardrive crashed on my server please tell me what is goign on and when will it be fixed?" These people you spoke with would not be able to answer such a question as they are not in or have direct access to the data center. Your answer would be please send them an email to the dedicated support email address which I'm not going to list here.

Found this thread searching for contacts at 1and1. My server has been down for close to 3 days do to a hard drive needing to be replace. It was a simple request but i can not get any help from any of their support people. The general support is completely useless. The dedicated server support, when you can get a hold of them, make a lot of promises but never follow through.

My backup space is backup128, does anyone else here use that backup space? I am asking because I need help getting my data off of there. I will share my backup user/pass if someone can give me ftp access to the data once its transferred to their sever. I dont know where else to turn. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks

Hi,
    You have just realized our worst nightmares - hardware failure at 1and1 without support. I feel your pain and should be able to access that backup server and be happy to help you get data off if you'd like as I'd expect someone to step up and help me in a similar situation. Just send me a PM with your email/details and I'll help you tonight before I go to bed.
    Last edited by centralusa; 01-14-2008 at 11:42 PM.

after reading this forum, i agree with everyone. uptime is STELLER for a host.

support, better have an indian to english translator because a: you can never understand the folks, and b: when you LAY OUT THE PROBLEM in plain view, they always default to, its not our fault, you need to check your files to make sure they are correct.

Case in point: i purchased a domain name from them because it was cheap. First mistake. Second, it took 3-4 days for them to EVER get my domain registered/populated. WOW, talk about crap. then after it populated, i forwarded the dns to my hosting server, and boy did the world fall apart on this one. After many hours on the phone yelling screaming kicking begging and asking nicely to get them to look into the matter, they FINALLY figured out it was a problem on their end that didnt update the dns properly, and they would get someone to fix it asap.

Front line tech support is useless. plain and simple. You can never get someone in the US for tech support, and when you have a major issue, like a failed dns update, you have to basically throw a hystrical fit on the phone with them before they will even send your request out of tier 1 support. It got to the point i had to threaten a charge back and fraud investigations against them for not providing the service in a timely manner as outlined in the agreement, before my request EVER budged out of tier 1, and even then, they were crappy as heck in the email reply stating it was fixed.

If i had to do it all over again, i would have taken dan from number1host's advice and gotten my domain thru namecheap.com . granted its a little more, but by gosh, i had LESS FREAKING DRAMA with them moving my clients domains to them, and the move was done in less than 48 hrs, no drama, no headaches.

as far as dedicated servers go, if the support for domains and shared hosting is anything like what the dedicated folks have to deal with, my suggesting, find the fastest car/plane/train and get the heck away from 1 and 1 as fast as you possibly can.

James
    This account is no longer used.