View Poll Results: which switch is better?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • HP Procurve 2650

4 57.14%
  • Extreme Network Summit 48i

3 42.86%

Procurve 2650 vs Extreme 48i

Can anyone suggest which one to go with?

Thank you.

It would be a lot easier to assist in your choice if you provided us with some detail about what your setup is like, your environment, your needs, your expertise level with various network technologies, etc. Otherwise we're just taking shots in the dark. I have a lot of personal experience with both of those devices, but I have no idea which one to suggest to you based on the data you've provided.

Or you could just flip a coin.
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm running a 48si. I use it as a core device (which it is not intended for) and have a simple 100mbit uplink and static layer 3 routing with per submit VLANs. It works well and support contracts are easily had with their used stuff and VERY inexpensive. I recently got a Summit 200-24 off ebay for around $130. Got a support contract for $165/yr or so. Had a problem and got the switch replaced under contract. Brand new layer 3 switch for under $300?

However there are some issues with the base layer 3 image which makes it hard to use this as a core device. Main one being that I can't null route blocks to a high distance to stop traffic at the device when that particular subnet goes down. If a link goes down (VLAN down) and the subnet leaves the routing table, the device forwards back and forth between the gateway like mad, creating bad packetloss situations.

I've only experience with the Procurve 26xx being used as layer 2 only. With that said I've never seen one go down or have any switching issues.

A procuve 2650 cannot be used as a L3 switch with any traffic greater than 10-20/mbit sec.

Let me add I like the pretty much all the HP Procurve line. The are priced very well, reliable, and are easy to work with.
    Last edited by empoweri; 12-31-2007 at 11:25 AM.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

I just have some dedicated server customers, each server is using not more than 10mbps. Mainly using for shared hosting customers, that dont need to create many VLANs.

A procuve 2650 cannot be used as a L3 switch with any traffic greater than 10-20/mbit sec.
    the first time I hear that. If using it as L2 switch, how much it can push?

Life warrantee of HP is really a big plus. But I see many good hosts using Extreme Network switches, and wonder if it can run better than HP Procurve series?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If using it as L2 switch, how much it can push?

Life warrantee of HP is really a big plus. But I see many good hosts using Extreme Network switches, and wonder if it can run better than HP Procurve series?
    As L2 switch you should be able to max out a 100mbit line.

L3 with routing is a different story.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog