Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mac or Windows??

Hello everyone!

I'm starting a wedding video service, I'm thinking of getting a MAC pro, but it's too expensive. With that amount of money i can build a super fast PC. Which one should I go for? Mac or PC?

THanks!!!!

PC always.

Make a list of the software titles for each and how much they cost. Also, take into account the usability of any software title... paying more can sometimes be better. For example, I can get Paintnet for free (and I use this), but I pay for fireworks because it can do a little bit more and it is easier (faster) for me to use.

Then take a look at hardware as far as printers, camera connections, video recorder connections, etc... if you have to buy new hardware, then check to see if it works for both mac and windows.

After you take all of that into consideration, then you will have your answer. The software and other hardware that connects to your computer should be your main driving force.

I own both mac and pc, but I mainly use my pc... you do fall in love with macs... don't know why... don't feel the same about any pc I've ever owned.

Moving pictures and videos don't even fall for the "virtual pc" trap... you will be sorry. Virtual pc is great, but for what you are doing, I'd stay away from it. Get either a mac or pc... and use that os...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I prefer PC anyday. But I've only used a mac once, it was an 1800 dollar college laptop and it froze on me lol...

but I did find this online and chuckled...

Is Windows A Virus? No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1. They replicate quickly -- okay, Windows does that.

2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so -- okay, Windows does that.

3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk -- okay, Windows does that, too.

4. Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh...Windows does that, too.

5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So, Windows is *not* a virus. It's a BUG!

I have recently switched to a mac pro and it was the best thing i had done....

IT took a bit to get used to but is well worth it.

Heck, it even runs my OLD ported windows XP image in Fusion / Parallels FASTER!!!!!! and more reliable.

I am not so sure that you need a Mac Pro....

For most people, the mac-mini or imac should be suffecient...

I am running the following because i do allot of testing with virtual machines and simple need the power....

Dual Quad-Core 3.0ghz Xeons (20-30% utilized on average unless compiling)
    13GB Ram (6X2GB + 2X512MB) (99% utilized)
    4X 750GB Seagate 7200.10 (RAID10)
    3X 24" DELL LCD Monitors.

Note, I also use the machine is a file storage server in the office and backup to our iSCSI server in the DC...
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Make a list of the software titles for each and how much they cost. Also, take into account the usability of any software title... paying more can sometimes be better. For example, I can get Paintnet for free (and I use this), but I pay for fireworks because it can do a little bit more and it is easier (faster) for me to use.

Then take a look at hardware as far as printers, camera connections, video recorder connections, etc... if you have to buy new hardware, then check to see if it works for both mac and windows.

After you take all of that into consideration, then you will have your answer. The software and other hardware that connects to your computer should be your main driving force.

I own both mac and pc, but I mainly use my pc... you do fall in love with macs... don't know why... don't feel the same about any pc I've ever owned.

Moving pictures and videos don't even fall for the "virtual pc" trap... you will be sorry. Virtual pc is great, but for what you are doing, I'd stay away from it. Get either a mac or pc... and use that os...
    The new Intel based Macs run Windows without Virtual PC. The performance I get from VMWare Fusion is amazing. It does take some time to get used to seeing that Windows task bar there though

What's Mac?
    hi there!

I am a recent MAC convert and I have to say, it was the best decision I have made. I am the proud owner of an iMac with a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 gig of ram.

Using Parrellels, it runs vista better then any PC I have seen. So I would suggest going with the MAC.

You should take a look at the applications you need for your business, and then see if they are available for what platforms.

People get very gung-ho about their switch to the "better", "prettier" and "faster" MAC OS - but then complain when they find they have a very limited amount of applications they can use without buying a Windows license (defies the point of buying a Mac?).
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    You should take a look at the applications you need for your business, and then see if they are available for what platforms.

People get very gung-ho about their switch to the "better", "prettier" and "faster" MAC OS - but then complain when they find they have a very limited amount of applications they can use without buying a Windows license (defies the point of buying a Mac?).
    A very valid point, however I would be willing to bet that most of us already have a license for Windows that we can legally (excluding OEM) transfer for use on our new Mac. A quick check on a comparable Dell notebooks and MacBooks/MacBook Pros reveal that the cost difference is lower than it has ever been, and much lower if you are considering having both a Mac and a Windows machine when the Mac can do both. I am not a Mac advocate by any means, Windows XP/Server 2003 is still my preferred worksation OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Squorpeeon View Post
    A very valid point, however I would be willing to bet that most of us already have a license for Windows that we can legally (excluding OEM) transfer for use on our new Mac. A quick check on a comparable Dell notebooks and MacBooks/MacBook Pros reveal that the cost difference is lower than it has ever been, and much lower if you are considering having both a Mac and a Windows machine when the Mac can do both. I am not a Mac advocate by any means, Windows XP/Server 2003 is still my preferred worksation OS.
    But running Windows along side your Mac OS (which would reduce performance quite a bit) defies the point for paying a premium for 'pretty' Mac hardware, does it not?
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!

If time is money, go with the Mac. Why try to save a few hundred dollars on a Windows PC that'll end up costing hundreds of hours of frustration and lost man hours each year. Save few hundred on pc, waste thousands of dollars in man hours, or spend the extra money to save yourself time and frustration.

My friend tried to do his wedding video on his PC and gave up cause it's so frustrating. He thought it was easy because he saw me doing it on my mac. He ran into the stupid 2GB file limit and the software he uses never worked correctly. Importing from digital camera didn't work properly. Opening the movie files took forever. Just say it made him cry and he gave up.

Save yourself the frustration and get yourself a Mac and FinalCut Pro and a DVD burner. Also, get yourself a firewire 1TB hard drive and pro consumer camcorder with firewire connection.

The new Intel based Macs run Windows without Virtual PC. The performance I get from VMWare Fusion is amazing. It does take some time to get used to seeing that Windows task bar there though
    Pumping 5 to 10 gb videos through it? (Don't know if the op will have that much in final edit, but if using multiple video recorders, might in rough.) And having dual-boot is such a pain, I did not even mention it... been there, done that. I did mention using a vpc if using for other things.

If you have to dual-boot it is not worth it to go mac, IMO. But as normal, these type of threads always get people to not think about the apps and attempt to push their choice of OS... all good though...

I used to use Macbook.. and love it. But then.. I must switch back to Windows. I can't find many software that I really need it in Mac. Sad but true..

a wedding service and your going to get a mac...for what purposes to have the name ? or actually use it? seeing how you wont need to do video editing / audio editing / web design/ design (even though you can do that all on a PC) i would say go for what you actually need .....

a wasit of money isn't going to get you further

If you want good video editing software, go with a Mac.

Very hard to find good video editing software on the Windows side.

Learn from the mistakes of Morgan Webb. She was frustrated with trying to do video editing on Windows and ended up getting a Apple laptop and FinalCut Pro.

I wonder how many people here who recommend Windows actually have done video editing on a regular basis.

Do you guys already know how dumb Windows is when it comes with video file size? 2GB limit, which means about 10 mins of digital video.

http://www.ulead.com/learning/video1/page1.htm#2GB

thanks guys for all the valuable comments!!

I'm actually compiling a 10 gig video at home on windows and it wont be done for another 3 hours. Of course it's a laptop with only 1 gig of ram.

I mainly do video editing and graphic design on the PC I'm going to get. So I might just go with a MAC.

Here is what I'm thinking off:

2 2.66ghz dual xeon
    about 2-4 gig of RAM
    1 250 HDD with external drives (probably couple TB)
    ATI Radeon x1900 512mb RAM
    1 (for now) 24" ultrasharp Dell Monitor

That's all I can afford for now until i get more customers

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by hycloud View Post
    I wonder how many people here who recommend Windows actually have done video editing on a regular basis.

Do you guys already know how dumb Windows is when it comes with video file size? 2GB limit, which means about 10 mins of digital video.

http://www.ulead.com/learning/video1/page1.htm#2GB
    I have, although very limited. For some reason all of my videos were larger than 2 gb... oh, wait, I did not use avi (which is what you are talking about). I guess I'd wonder if anyone who used windows for video editing would use avi? Does not seem to be the logical choice for what the OP is doing, nor what I was doing. I even read the op is doing a 10 gb file on a windows laptop... lol. The more people attempt to dog windows... well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozmedia View Post
    thanks guys for all the valuable comments!!

I'm actually compiling a 10 gig video at home on windows and it wont be done for another 3 hours. Of course it's a laptop with only 1 gig of ram.

I mainly do video editing and graphic design on the PC I'm going to get. So I might just go with a MAC.

Here is what I'm thinking off:

2 2.66ghz dual xeon
    about 2-4 gig of RAM
    1 250 HDD with external drives (probably couple TB)
    ATI Radeon x1900 512mb RAM
    1 (for now) 24" ultrasharp Dell Monitor

That's all I can afford for now until i get more customers

Thanks all!
    That is kicking in around $2500... might cost more than a windows box, but that would last you a long time.

You can't really argue with final cut since so many people use it. I would definitely try that... if you have a local mac store that would be even better. Put a couple of firewire 800 external drives on there and you will have one nice box... Nice monitor as well... Seems you have a nice build... go for it, I say... go for it!

It is a shame you need to fork out $500 - 600 for a machine that Apple is forcing you to buy just to run one piece of software that you cannot run on Windows. Surely there is a comparable video editing suite available?
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    It is a shame you need to fork out $500 - 600 for a machine that Apple is forcing you to buy just to run one piece of software that you cannot run on Windows. Surely there is a comparable video editing suite available?
    What about Windows Movie Maker

If you want the most out of your value, get a PC. If you want the nice, glossy look and OS, get a Mac. They also have nice video tools.

My next computer buy will be a mac. I currently run Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux (hopefully will get the installs for OpenSuse and Fedora 8 working). And I hope to add a new Mac powerpc (I want the nice tower) plus extra room.

Games are being made to work with mac more than before. And people are getting things to work with mac as well as linux. (Mac is based on unix).
    There's a thing called Crossover Mac (pay product - has a fully working 30 day trial) that can install a number of windows games/programs on a mac (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/).

So really, the choice is mac, because the new intel macs can run windows as well.

But you can buy a PC if you wish, they are cheaper, but you pay the extra money for mac, because it "just works". Just is, just does, just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizi View Post
    because it "just works". Just is, just does, just right.
    YAh... it works cause OSX has 5gigs of languages and another couple for drivers...

but overall.. yes... it just works....

HINT 101: chmod 777 the applications directory to get rid of that Vista "Allow or Deny" + User + Password syndrome that Mac Cloned from Vista....
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Mac pros are utterly worthless.

For ~1000$ you can get a Q6600/Dual-socket opteron setup with 2GB+ of DDR2 RAM, with RAIDed 500GB hard drives that will beat the pants off of any Mac Pro. FB-DIMMs blow hard, same for the Xeons they have.

That hardware will be more than enough for years to come to edit all the videos you'd ever want. Of course it'd most likely be overkill unless you plan to get it encoding all the time. You've also got to figure out your codecs, too. Are these going to be intended for desktops or for DVDs? If it's for desktops then you use MKV with Ogg audio and Xvid/h.264 video, but if it's for DVDs then I have no idea but you'd need a good professional solution. I know for a fact that unless it's a retail DVD, it skips and pixelates on one of my DVD players, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

As for the OS, I'm not a fan of Windows, but put whatever you want.

I have, although very limited. For some reason all of my videos were larger than 2 gb... oh, wait, I did not use avi (which is what you are talking about). I guess I'd wonder if anyone who used windows for video editing would use avi? Does not seem to be the logical choice for what the OP is doing, nor what I was doing. I even read the op is doing a 10 gb file on a windows laptop... lol. The more people attempt to dog windows... well, you know.
    Because AVI is the default standard on Windows.

Besides it just not the AVI that limits you to 2GB. It's the FAT32 file system and Windows application as well.

I know about this limitation because I ran into in the past.

Did you read the link I've provided.

DV captured by Firewire is stored in AVI files (when using Microsoft Windows).

There are several limits that affect the maximum size of an AVI file.

The original specification for AVI files limits their size to 4GB, but for software reasons the maximum workable size is 2GB. This corresponds to about 9.5 minutes of DV format video.

OpenDML is a standard that extends the AVI specification to effectively remove the file-size limit. If video software and drivers support OpenDML then the size of AVI files is only limited by the operating system and size of disks.

File sizes are also limited by the disk format used by the operating system. FAT32, supported by Windows 95 onwards, does not allow any single file larger than 4GB. NTFS, supported by Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows ME, and Windows XP, allows effectively unlimited files and partitions.
    Last edited by hycloud; 12-31-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorophose View Post
    Mac pros are utterly worthless.

For ~1000$ you can get a Q6600/Dual-socket opteron setup with 2GB+ of DDR2 RAM, with RAIDed 500GB hard drives that will beat the pants off of any Mac Pro. FB-DIMMs blow hard, same for the Xeons they have.

That hardware will be more than enough for years to come to edit all the videos you'd ever want. Of course it'd most likely be overkill unless you plan to get it encoding all the time. You've also got to figure out your codecs, too. Are these going to be intended for desktops or for DVDs? If it's for desktops then you use MKV with Ogg audio and Xvid/h.264 video, but if it's for DVDs then I have no idea but you'd need a good professional solution. I know for a fact that unless it's a retail DVD, it skips and pixelates on one of my DVD players, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

As for the OS, I'm not a fan of Windows, but put whatever you want.
    Even iDVD and iMovie that comes free with consumer macs have no problem with burning DVDs.

It depends on the DVD media and the DVD player.

If you are any serious about video editing and dvd authoring, you'll need this:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

If not, stick with your Windows box that is all so great for games.

Besides it just not the AVI that limits you to 2GB. It's the FAT32 file system and Windows application as well.
    Why would anyone use FAT instead of NTFS on a Windows box with the exception of pre-W2K?

Why would anyone use FAT instead of NTFS on a Windows box with the exception of pre-W2K?
    The FAT filesystem has a smaller footprint and is generally faster than NTFS, albeit not as scalable or reliable.
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!

Because AVI is the default standard on Windows.
    Right... if you are going to create FUD, at least have a good argument. You would be better off just explaining how great the mac software is besides attempting to "bring down" windows with your illogical posts.

Besides it just not the AVI that limits you to 2GB. It's the FAT32 file system and Windows application as well. I know about this limitation because I ran into in the past.
    When? Ten years ago? As they say, most issues are caused between the monitor and the keyboard.

Did you read the link I've provided.
    Yes. Matter of fact, that is the software I use.

If you are any serious about video editing and dvd authoring, you'll need this:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

If not, stick with your Windows box that is all so great for games.
    $1,299.00 just for the software, on top of the $2500 for the mac box?

Wow... I'm not sure the OP needs anything this powerful for what he is doing. I don't know the OP's finance situation so I don't assume to know if this is a large expense, but it seems a bit much, IMO... heck, I created great vids of the family using the ulead software... everyone was amazed... and it is easy to use. I got that for what $80 or so... dunno.. up to the op.

I was thinking of something like Final Cut Express 4 for the mac. It costs $200... don't know how it stacks against other windows packages, but the op would need to make that decision....

Funny how all these people here who recommend a Windows machine never done any video editing professionally. There is not a single recommendation on Windows video editing and DVD authoring software on the Windows side.

Software from ulead are for consumers, not professionals.

Right... if you are going to create FUD, at least have a good argument. You would be better off just explaining how great the mac software is besides attempting to "bring down" windows with your illogical posts.

When? Ten years ago? As they say, most issues are caused between the monitor and the keyboard.

Yes. Matter of fact, that is the software I use.
    AVI is not the default video file format on windows? If not, what is?

Ulead software are not intended for professional work.

If you are too broke, get yourself a Mac Mini that is under $600 and comes with both iMovie and iDVD. It looks like it's all you need.

take a windows pc...you got many soft for it...

now Im confused ..j/k..lol...Thanks for all the coment guys!! I'll do more research on this. I'm using adobe premiere right now and its seen pretty good. Does anyone know where I can find info on how to make DVD properly?

Even iDVD and iMovie that comes free with consumer macs have no problem with burning DVDs.

It depends on the DVD media and the DVD player.
    The only program I've ever seen able to bypass the issues is SlySoft's stuff.

But meh, I plan to get one of Helios Labs' DVD players when I get an HDTV, so I won't have to worry about playback issues (those players are epic!).

Oh, and I don't know about you guys but if I'm getting someone to film my wedding, I'd rather he put more effort into filming the actual thing than making touch-ups and stupid effects. (although some do it nicely, you don't want to go over-the-top...)

maybe you should hire me to be your wedding videographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast