Thumbs up Home server questions

Hello everyone...forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

I am starting up a business, and I have my domains parked and whatnot. My friend asked why Im not setting up my own home server for the site? I thought about it, and I am starting to like that idea instead of paying a monthly fee to host it.

The site in question will basically be an informative site, with a nice graphical professional layout, some pictures, some forms, and mostly text. Nothing will be for sale or anything on the site so I can keep the size of the site down to a minimum.

I dont plan on getting TOO many hits...im guessing to start out, like 5-10 hits a day, and hopefully in a few months, 30-50 hits a day. I really cant see any more than that, unless google will pull more in.

Can you gurus give me some advice on setting up my own home server? If my ISP allows it, I really cant think of any cons, other then downtime for reboots and whatnot. I currently have a ADSL that upps at an average of 700kbps. Also, I would be building a new computer for a server so it wont be on my personal one. Thanks for and advice!!!

you caould get a free control panel or find a cpanel reseller. Step 2 build server. If you don't expect too much traffic right off of the bat then just use your wurrent connection, if you out grow ut, then get a second line. The goal is to always be moving forward.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

Quote Originally Posted by aares View Post
    Hello everyone...forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

I am starting up a business, and I have my domains parked and whatnot. My friend asked why Im not setting up my own home server for the site? I thought about it, and I am starting to like that idea instead of paying a monthly fee to host it.

The site in question will basically be an informative site, with a nice graphical professional layout, some pictures, some forms, and mostly text. Nothing will be for sale or anything on the site so I can keep the size of the site down to a minimum.

I dont plan on getting TOO many hits...im guessing to start out, like 5-10 hits a day, and hopefully in a few months, 30-50 hits a day. I really cant see any more than that, unless google will pull more in.

Can you gurus give me some advice on setting up my own home server? If my ISP allows it, I really cant think of any cons, other then downtime for reboots and whatnot. I currently have a ADSL that upps at an average of 700kbps. Also, I would be building a new computer for a server so it wont be on my personal one. Thanks for and advice!!!
    That would be a suitable setup, you probably can afford to take basic home pc parts for your server to save on cost since you only plan for a small io usage of the disk, a small 10gb hard disk with a 256/512 stick of ram with a small use motherboard and a 250 watt supply should probably last you. Linux/unix would probably be your best bet for the OS with apache to serve the files. Pretty straightforward setup, the only real difficulties with this would be any online games would slow your sites connection to a crawl, and you will likely have troubles with a dynamic IP address unless you use dynamic DNS services with your domain. Other than that the only downtime issue I would see would be power outages.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aares View Post
    Also, I would be building a new computer for a server so it wont be on my personal one. Thanks for and advice!!!
    PROS
    • A well optimized site, with small images could easily be served with 700kbps if you only get a few hits per day.
    • You got complete control.

CONS
    • A shared internet connection could result in less than 700kbps.
    • You could get a couple years worth of hosting for the cost of building a new cheap computer.
    • One computer for a site that only gets 5-10 hits a day is more than overkill.
    • Power Outage + Internet Connection Hiccups could result in extended downtime.
    • On shared hosting, a good host would notice if a service failed and correct it. Hosting at home...it may be awhile before you notice something is down.

If you do decide to go this route, and if you will be using Windows, have a look at WAMP:
    http://www.wampserver.com/en/
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

As a hobby or for the learning experience home-hosting is ok, but a small shared hosting plan would be cheaper, more reliable and much less work. Take a look at dslwebserver.com for plenty of good advice if you still want to go this way.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter