Mail Server Software

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some decent, reasonably priced email server software?

I know of MailEnable and SmarterMail. Any others?

thanx
    Dwd

Squirrelmail, Roundcube, Ilohamail
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Hi,

thanx. Let me add some more info. though. I am have a small budget and in the process of setting up a dedicated server. What would be the best recommended email software for a Windows server with HELM.

Note: Small/Tiny Budget

P.S. need to configure a good spam filter as well.

thanx
    Dwd

I guess you are using Windows from your first two choices, have you tried hmailserver? But if you are using with HELM, I guess the one I personally preferred would be Smartermail (run it with Declude for good anti spam protection)

I also recommend you try pMail or Pegasus Mail is what its full name is.

We're in the process of moving from MailEnable to SmarterMail on our Helm platform. One of our clients uses hMailServer with Helm. If you're after a separate gateway for incoming mail filtering, take a look at www.spamtitan.com.
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

hi,

thanx for the advice. Will give it a shot.

Can one use any email server with HELM or is it specific for certain email servers such as MailEnable and SmarterMail?

thanx
    Dwd

Quote Originally Posted by dwd_za View Post
    hi,

thanx for the advice. Will give it a shot.

Can one use any email server with HELM or is it specific for certain email servers such as MailEnable and SmarterMail?

thanx
    Dwd
    Helm 4 can work with:

Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007
    SmarterMail Pro and Enterprise v3 and v4
    MailEnable Pro and Enterprise
    iMail 8 and 2006
    Merak Mail
    MDaemon
    hMail Server

I recommend smartermail

dont use any of them...use gmail. you can get the gmail app for your website google.com/a. all you need to do is create the account and point your mx over to what google provides to you. you will be extremely impressed. it will save you money...oh, and spam.

That's interesting, i.e. to use GMail. However, is GMail useable with HELM? I mean can I my users create new email accounts via HELM and it will create it on GMail?

Also, what sort of interface will my users have should they logon to webmail? Will they go to gmail.com?

Has anyone done this, i.e. use Gmail as their mail server? Have you MiketyMikey ?

I'm leaning towards SmarterMail, but it is soo expense. Anyone have any discount vouchers they're willing to pass on to me :p

I'm leaning towards SmarterMail, but it is soo expense. Anyone have any discount vouchers they're willing to pass on to me :p
    If you have HELM, this should have come with a free 250 user Professional version of SmarterMail. You can upgrade this version of SmarterMail and shave off a few hundred :-)

Any particular reason as to why you choose SmarterMail over MaileEnable?
    MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus Solution for MailEnable (now with MESSAGE SNIFFER Support!)
    Built-in SpamAssassin, ClamAV, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC Check, ShortCircuit, Regex/Keyword Filters, Disclamers, Archiving, Indexing and more.
    Visit www.mxuptime.com for info.

SmarterMail works beautifully on Windows systems. It's easy to install/configure and I've never had it lock up or crash under a heavy load.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Hi,

Didn't come with 250 licenses? Is this default with HELM or by the service provider? I would think by the service provider.

We use mailenable with our current resellers, and it isn't all that in my opnion. Also, from what I have read on Smartermail vs MailEnable, Smartermail seems the better product...

Hi,

Didn't come with 250 licenses? Is this default with HELM or by the service provider? I would think by the service provider.

We use mailenable with our current resellers, and it isn't all that in my opnion. Also, from what I have read on Smartermail vs MailEnable, Smartermail seems the better product...
    Err.. Its clearly stated on their site (HELM). If the service providers are offering it then they are merely getting it from the CP provider and passing it to their clients.

"All one-time licences come with free basic support, 1 year's update protection and $500 worth of free software from SmarterTools. "
    MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus Solution for MailEnable (now with MESSAGE SNIFFER Support!)
    Built-in SpamAssassin, ClamAV, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC Check, ShortCircuit, Regex/Keyword Filters, Disclamers, Archiving, Indexing and more.
    Visit www.mxuptime.com for info.

I rather like Mdaemon. Pretty good with anti spam. But doesnt like on cheap hardware (core2duo etc) more than 50 smtp connections at a time

Smartermail will be the best choice and regarding gmail , no point pointing your mail to gmail and showing clients that you can just provide them the simple webmail facility.

Smarter mail work smoothy with windows helm server , been working with that environment from yrs. havent had any biggy issues.