hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Employment Offers & Requests : Systems Management Requests : Web Game - looking for someone experienced with VPS's, security, optimization etc.

Forum Jump

Web Game - looking for someone experienced with VPS's, security, optimization etc.

Reply Post New Thread In Systems Management Requests Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM

Arrow

Web Game - looking for someone experienced with VPS's, security, optimization etc.

I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm currently developing a "next-generation" browser-based strategy game, I'm the sole programmer, having 2 years of freelance experience. A very experienced graphic artist is also on board.

What we lack, is someone who has knowledge about hardware and the linux OS. This could include the server optimization, setup, securing and possibly infrastructure (big word) processes. I personally don't know anything about linux, though I'd like to learn.

Please note this is, at least for the present, NOT a paid position. If you're genuinely interested in helping out and have experience/know what you're doing then I'd like to invite you to get on board.

You'll be asked to select a VPS service, choose a linux OS, set-up and configure apache/mysql/php and if possible lighttpd (also a web server). In addition we need you to find and plug security holes to prevent attacks and keep it running smoothly as well as providing advice when it comes to balancing load and the expansion of our server infrastructure.

If you're interested at all, please post here or email <<removed by request>> - please include your areas of expertise.

Thanks for reading :-)

Last edited by bear; 08-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Notice to Consumers
Thread Summary Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.
  • Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
  • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
  • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Hello,

Add me on MSN, support@nexbytesolutions.com and we can discuss this further. I have a good deal of experience configuring, securing and setting up new servers.

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

You can do this by yourself. Just go through our Articles on VPS at http://bobcares.com/Cat2allstories.html?&ppid=60

VPS handbook http://bobcares.com/article57.html

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 AM

Thats a lot of information for someone who doesn't even know how to use linux (me!)

What I need is advice, for example which linux distro to choose, how to secure it and configure it etc. etc. - I doubt this can be learned by just reading a few articles. It will likely take experience - something I don't have.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well, I personally prefer Centos as my OS and as far securing it take a look at what most security companies provide and search how to install it by going to the developers website.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus06 View Post
Thats a lot of information for someone who doesn't even know how to use linux (me!)

What I need is advice, for example which linux distro to choose, how to secure it and configure it etc. etc. - I doubt this can be learned by just reading a few articles. It will likely take experience - something I don't have.

Software requirement

CentOS is the best choice for OpenVZ to work properly.

Hardware Requirement

The Hardware Node requirements for the standard 32-bit edition of OpenVZ are the following:

The computer should satisfy the Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora Core hardware requirements.

i)IBM PC-compatible computer.

ii)CPUs: Intel Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Xeon, or AMD Athlon CPU. The more Virtual Private Servers you plan to run simultaneously, the more CPUs you need.

iii)Memory: Atleast 128 MB of RAM.The more memory you have, the more Virtual Private Servers you can run. The exact figure depends on the number and nature of applications you are planning to run in your Virtual Private Servers. However, on the average, at least 1 GB of RAM is recommended for every 20-30 Virtual Private Servers.

iv)HDD: Atleast 4 GB of free disk space. Each Virtual Private Server occupies 400-600 MB of hard disk space for system files in addition to the user data inside the Virtual Private Server (for example, website content). You should consider it when planning disk partitioning and the number of Virtual Private Servers to run.

v)NIC: Network card will be either Intel EtherExpress100 (i82557-, i82558- or i82559-based) or 3Com(3c905 or 3c905B or 3c595) or RTL8139-based are recommended.

A typical 2-way Dell PowerEdge 1650 1u-mountable server with 1 GB of RAM and 36 GB of hard drives is suitable for hosting 30 Virtual Private Servers.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I don't think he's looking to setup VPS nodes. I think he's just looking for someone to setup a single VPS with everything he needs on there.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

We may be able to help you, or direct you to someone who can.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

Maximus06,

Feel free to get in touch with some more information on your project. It sounds like something i'd be interested in working on.

Cheers

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SoftLayer Powers Global Expansion of DataHotel’s Japanese App Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-02-06 11:37:21
Chinese Game Market Revenue Grows 40 Percent in 2013 to Approximately $13B: Report Web Hosting News 2013-12-30 17:15:26
SOE, UOL BoaCompra, Gamerica Partner to Bring Online Game PlanetSide 2 to Brazil Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:21:55
Web Optimization Provider Yottaa Launches Version 2.0, Adds Patented QuickTune Technology Web Hosting News 2012-09-17 15:18:17
Highwinds Launches New Game-Oriented Content Delivery Network Services Web Hosting News 2012-08-17 12:08:27