Arrow Web Game - looking for someone experienced with VPS's, security, optimization etc.

I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm currently developing a "next-generation" browser-based strategy game, I'm the sole programmer, having 2 years of freelance experience. A very experienced graphic artist is also on board.

What we lack, is someone who has knowledge about hardware and the linux OS. This could include the server optimization, setup, securing and possibly infrastructure (big word) processes. I personally don't know anything about linux, though I'd like to learn.

Please note this is, at least for the present, NOT a paid position. If you're genuinely interested in helping out and have experience/know what you're doing then I'd like to invite you to get on board.

You'll be asked to select a VPS service, choose a linux OS, set-up and configure apache/mysql/php and if possible lighttpd (also a web server). In addition we need you to find and plug security holes to prevent attacks and keep it running smoothly as well as providing advice when it comes to balancing load and the expansion of our server infrastructure.

If you're interested at all, please post here or email <<removed by request>> - please include your areas of expertise.

Thanks for reading :-)
    Last edited by bear; 08-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Hello,

Add me on MSN, support@nexbytesolutions.com and we can discuss this further. I have a good deal of experience configuring, securing and setting up new servers.

Thanks.

You can do this by yourself. Just go through our Articles on VPS at http://bobcares.com/Cat2allstories.html?&ppid=60

VPS handbook http://bobcares.com/article57.html
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

Thats a lot of information for someone who doesn't even know how to use linux (me!)

What I need is advice, for example which linux distro to choose, how to secure it and configure it etc. etc. - I doubt this can be learned by just reading a few articles. It will likely take experience - something I don't have.

Well, I personally prefer Centos as my OS and as far securing it take a look at what most security companies provide and search how to install it by going to the developers website.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus06 View Post
    Thats a lot of information for someone who doesn't even know how to use linux (me!)

What I need is advice, for example which linux distro to choose, how to secure it and configure it etc. etc. - I doubt this can be learned by just reading a few articles. It will likely take experience - something I don't have.

Software requirement

CentOS is the best choice for OpenVZ to work properly.

Hardware Requirement

The Hardware Node requirements for the standard 32-bit edition of OpenVZ are the following:

The computer should satisfy the Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora Core hardware requirements.

i)IBM PC-compatible computer.

ii)CPUs: Intel Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Xeon, or AMD Athlon CPU. The more Virtual Private Servers you plan to run simultaneously, the more CPUs you need.

iii)Memory: Atleast 128 MB of RAM.The more memory you have, the more Virtual Private Servers you can run. The exact figure depends on the number and nature of applications you are planning to run in your Virtual Private Servers. However, on the average, at least 1 GB of RAM is recommended for every 20-30 Virtual Private Servers.

iv)HDD: Atleast 4 GB of free disk space. Each Virtual Private Server occupies 400-600 MB of hard disk space for system files in addition to the user data inside the Virtual Private Server (for example, website content). You should consider it when planning disk partitioning and the number of Virtual Private Servers to run.

v)NIC: Network card will be either Intel EtherExpress100 (i82557-, i82558- or i82559-based) or 3Com(3c905 or 3c905B or 3c595) or RTL8139-based are recommended.

A typical 2-way Dell PowerEdge 1650 1u-mountable server with 1 GB of RAM and 36 GB of hard drives is suitable for hosting 30 Virtual Private Servers.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

I don't think he's looking to setup VPS nodes. I think he's just looking for someone to setup a single VPS with everything he needs on there.

We may be able to help you, or direct you to someone who can.

Maximus06,

Feel free to get in touch with some more information on your project. It sounds like something i'd be interested in working on.

Cheers
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

10. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com