Talking [For Hire] UK Based Tech Level 2/3?

Hi,

I am a UK Based student currently studying a BTEC N.D in Computing - Systems Support. I am looking for a bit of extra work in a support position for a hosting company. I am hard working, comitted, have excellent troubleshooting skills and a wide knowledge of hosting subjects.

As a bit of background info I used to own and operate a highly successful cPanel shared hosting provider between 2005-2006 with over 100 clients accross 2 Dedicated Servers. I have been doing technical work on and off since then.

With my knowledge I am not really interested in a Level 1 type position, where I escalate technical problems to higher up techs. I feel I already have a good enough knowledge to handle most issues. I have been working on cPanel servers remotley for a long time now with Level 1 - 3 issues, none of which I have been unable to resolve. This includes tasks such as initial configuration and security of a Linux box, helping a client with a script installation to troubleshooting a Failing apache service.

This would be a part time position, or no fixed hours if thats a possilibility. e.g. Ill answer tickets when I am about (I spend a lot of time online). Payment per ticket is OK as long as its not really low.

Here is a little summary of hosting related things I have some experience with (From Admin/Tech perspective as well as client):

CentOS/Redhat or any Redhat derived Linux. i.e. not FreeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
    cPanel Control Panel. 3 Years experience from admin perspective
    HyperVM Control Panel
    LxAdmin Control Panel
    Common Backend services (Apache, MySQL, DNS(Bind), Exim etc)
    Linux System Security + Hardening, Optimization of services
    OpenVirtuozzo Virtualization Platform (Linux)
    Xen Virtualisation Platform (Linux)
    Vmware Server Virtualisation Platform (Linux)
    Vmware Workstation (Windows)
    HTML / Limited XHTML
    PHP/MySQL

I am better suited to a company using Linux servers, I have much more real-world experience with Linux than Windows Server.

Although I am able to code PHP/MySQL I am not interested in any coding jobs. I only know the basics of these from tinkering on my own sites, and to be able to advise clients with custom scipts.

Please do not be put off by the fact I am young. I have good technical ability, good written communication skills and could be a valuable member of your support team.

If you may have a position for me, even if you only need me for a small job, please can you email froggey (at) gmail.com and I should get back to you within 24 hours.

Thanks in advance! Hope you had a good Christmas.

Chris

Where in the UK are you based?
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

Hi,

I'm based in Newbury, Berkshire.

I am within close traveling distance to the BlueSquare/Poundhost Datacentre in Maidenhead. At the moment as this is only extra/part time I would not be looking to travel though.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Chris.

How are you with assembling hardware/installing OS's?

thanks
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon