Hostgator problems?

Well, signed up with Hostgator yesterday, changed domain over and what not. And it was excellent - for an hour. Fast and instant setup, email sent through so I could get started.

Come today, uploaded my content and immediatly noticed a whole different change in service. My website would refuse to load at times, quite oftenly with server errors or it would load at a snail speed sometimes taking up to 4 minutes for one page to load.

I thought it was maybe down to a high load on the server at that point in the day so left it a few hours with the occasional check and still, throughout the whole day it was either slow or full of errors with the occasional 2 - 3 minutes of excellent speed.

I contacted support and they said everything was working perfectly fine and still the problems persisted. I have checked my connection over and over and yet every other website, including Hostgator's own website is running at super fast speeds without any errors.

I have submitted a ticket and will await to hear from them before I ask for a refund. I know it's only been two days now but if i'm receiving such problems after a day, what will it be like in a week, month or year?

Just my review, hopefully things get better before I do. However, so far there support have been extremely helpful and prompt.

My domain is racemidz.com (content isn't available to view at the moment, sorry.)

Yeah they oversell, it looks nice for what you get for the price, but the speed is just like you said: snail.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

It wasn't the space or bandwidth that attracted me. I'm not too fussed about the space or bandwidth it's the reputation they have that interested me. You do see alot of bad reviews for hostgator but the positive always outweight the negative on such forums as this.

How long ago did you submit a ticket? I thought they offered live phone support as well? Some live person should be able to look into what is happening and let you know I would think.
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM Fantastico RVSkin Dual Quad Core Servers Raid 10 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

This is a little odd for them. I have a little over a year with them with one shared account and I don't know how many months with a reseller account on Hostgator. NEVER had any of these problems.
    You should contact them or just message "hostgator.com" here on WHT about your problem. I bet you will sort things out.
    Got Fused?

Your homepage loads well on my browser. It might be a routing (ISP) issue. I have heard a complaint similar to yours from a HG client that was located in the UK. He had slow speeds connecting via his ISP, but every other person on the forum browsing from other locations were getting blazing speeds when accessing his site.

To the OP: Your site index loads fine/fast for me (UK)
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    Yeah they oversell, it looks nice for what you get for the price, but the speed is just like you said: snail.
    It's funny.
    I doubt you ever used Hostgator, nor do they you got any idea of how good they are.

You assume just because they oversell, they are bad.

Hey...Ignorance is bliss right?
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Hostgator usually provides fast speeds. Did you contact abuse or support and ask for a high level tech? You could always try a pm to hostgator.com here on WHT, Brent usually responds quite fast.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Please allow for at least 48 hrs for your dns to propagate before making speed judgments.

Dan you reap what you sow. Be careful....

Possibly one of the stupidest things I've seen on WHT. Perhaps you should take a look at your own plans you you might realize you too, oversell to the extreme.

Hostgator has a brilliant rep on these forums, and it's pathetic to see people with no experience with them bashing them. I have never used them (obviously, I own servers), but I've seen posts about them, and this is probably the second bad one.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

As Hostgator said above, the DNS changes take a while. Some routers will point to the old host, some to the new, so things take longer to load. For the first day or two you may bounce back and forth between the old host and new.
    Its amazing how other web "hosts" will take every opportunity to jump on other hosts here at WHT. Either Dan did not read the OP's post thoroughly (in which case he shouldn't have posted) or he purposefully was trying to make another host look bad. There is a third option... that he doesn't understand that DNS propagation takes times.... but he's smart enough to know that. So Dan, did you not read the post, or where you so busy trying to make other hosts look bad you didn't care to explain the facts to the OP?
    Matthew
    WCZone -- Quality Web Design @ Affordable Prices!
    Currently Hosting with Downtownhost.

I apologize for my statement, no I do not have a domain from hostgator, but my friend does and he was complaining about his reseller account speed. They weren't as fast as it could have been. I talked with him and he said he just received it, so maybe the DNS update fully. He also was running a vBulletin so maybe that is why it was slow, and his site had lots of flash...

Curious, how many clients are on each server at HG?
    Last edited by DWebby; 12-27-2007 at 10:38 PM.

flash...

Hi Dan:
    I'm not sure how accurate it is, but using: http://www.myipneighbors.com/

Hostgator: It says for wczone.com I have "106 neighbors" (10 of those are mine. The myipneighbors.com seems to only report the actual cPanel accounts/main domains, not the parked domains). I must say up front though that I'm not on a "regular Hostgator reseller account. When I signed up I asked to be put on a reseller server that has php5 and MySQL 5 (most have only MySQL 4).

Lunarpages: (hookedonphones.com) says there are 273 (not including parked domains).

I also have an account with HostingZoom, but since they gave me a static IP, I'm not sure how to check how many total are on the server.

Server Load as measured using cPanel (I know its not real accurate.....)
    Hostgator: stays 0.50 and below. I think I saw it get up to 1 before. There aren't many sites on the server so it may use more processor in the future. (2 cpu's)
    Hostingzoom: cPanel usually shows between 1 to 3 (right now its 3.6), but the server is a 4 processor/2 core.... 8 cores total. So the load per core is almost always less than 1.
    LunarPages: Usually a load of 2 to 5. (daily spikes to 50 or 60 at times, usually for a short period ... 1/2 hour or so). 2 Processor/2cores... 4 cores total.
    Matthew
    WCZone -- Quality Web Design @ Affordable Prices!
    Currently Hosting with Downtownhost.

Quote Originally Posted by Certifiedwebpro View Post
    Hi Dan:
    I'm not sure how accurate it is, but using: http://www.myipneighbors.com/
    It doesn't appear to be very accurate in my case. I just checked http://www.myipneighbors.com/ using my VPS. It found: 24 found with the IP 72.52.219.xxx but I actually have 34 domains under that IP, all with separate cPanel accounts: 34 Accounts Total Listed in 1 second(s)
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I moved my website to Hostgator four weeks ago and I have had the same problem as WO Mark. It seems to slow down or not load at all at random as a matter of fact it happened today for 20 minutes.
    There is definitely a problem.

I've actually been a hostgator customer since my first reply, I had first hand experience rather than knowing sites from hostgator and I must my opinion totally changed about them. They are friendly, fast support and server speed.

Did you open a ticket? We can only help if were given a chance.

We upgraded kernels in the last 24 hours which would have resulted in your site not loading for about 10 minutes.

Dang, I just put my HG IP into myipneighbors.com and found :

790 found with the IP XX.XX.XX.XX

I don't want to put Hostgator down as I haven't been with them long. The problems I have experienced have happend twice in two weeks. And no I did not send a ticket I tapped "problems with hostgator" in Google and clicked on a few forums just to see if this is a common fault.
    But I agree if customers don't tell Hostgator about these problems I guess they can't fix them.

Also it's nice to see a Hostgator rep in this forum. It shows they are showing an interest in what the customers think.

Quote Originally Posted by portalgod View Post

Not sure what the point of this is?

For all you know they could be running servers that have 32 cpu's 100x73gb scsi drives and 64gb of ram. If that was the case would 790 sites be a lot?

Hardware is becoming a heck of a lot faster so seeing more sites per server shouldn't surprise anyone. It's just smart business
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by portalgod View Post

Its not really important how many neighbors you happen to have on a single IP, they may be sub-netted, or managed through apache.

It really has more to do with what the load balance is on the CPUs, the RAM usage, disk read/write times and network I/O. As long as the host is managing the boxes and/or clusters correctly, then it does not matter how many "neighbors" you have. It is just kind of a fun tool, that is its only real usefulness.

I apologize for my statement, no I do not have a domain from hostgator, but my friend does and he was complaining about his reseller account speed. They weren't as fast as it could have been. I talked with him and he said he just received it, so maybe the DNS update fully. He also was running a vBulletin so maybe that is why it was slow, and his site had lots of flash...

you flip flop like john kerry

You need to be careful how you handle talking about other peoples businesses. Not having first hand experience or an account with them and then down talking them can really damage a reputation. It is also in WHT's rules, I assume for that reason.

• You may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services. This includes companies recommending other companies...
    And BeSeen, take care to be nice, you might want him as a friend someday...
    Last edited by Corey Blaser; 03-06-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyblaser View Post
    You need to be careful how you handle talking about other peoples businesses. Not having first hand experience or an account with them and then down talking them can really damage a reputation. It is also in WHT's rules, I assume for that reason.
    The world is full of idiots

I've actually been a hostgator customer since my first reply, I had first hand experience rather than knowing sites from hostgator and I must my opinion totally changed about them. They are friendly, fast support and server speed.
    You mind providing your domain name with hostgator?

Neither of your sites
    "killer blog" or whatever and pc-core.net trace to hostgator.

Oh yummy Bunny food (a hostgator thread yummy yummy let me fill my tummy )

^^ hmm that rhymed too ..
    @mark is your problem solved now, did you find another host or are still with hostgator cause i do not see him participating anymore here.

BeSeen, relax... not everyone is sitting at their computers waiting to reply. If you want to call Dan on it, he can either have hostgater.com or the mods confirm that he has an account.

It seems that this thread is getting a bit off course anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by coreyblaser View Post
    BeSeen, relax... not everyone is sitting at their computers waiting to reply. If you want to call Dan on it, he can either have hostgater.com or the mods confirm that he has an account.

It seems that this thread is getting a bit off course anyway...
    I seen almost all hg threads end up in the ditch , so nothing new about this one either, seems like OP lost interest in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BeSeen View Post
    You mind providing your domain name with hostgator?
    I had danburtan.com hosted with them, I am sure one of the mods or staff can agree with me that I was hosted with them (test run) and I've canceled with them a couple days ago.

I am sure one of the mods or staff can agree with me that I was hosted with them
    Indeed, whois history confirms that the domain was pointing to HG's servers in the past.

We were on layeredtech for a long time (dedicated) and had to go quickly to hostgator (good reviews - not the price) as there was a HDD problem and resolution was taking a while and we were losing sales.

Strange - our IP showed 961 sites. Had exactly the same website-loading-slow problem one or two weeks back. Today, it was down two times (one was long - more than 30 mins) and other was for 5 mins.

Not acceptable. I will check one more time and look for some other host.

Quote Originally Posted by pbx123 View Post
    Strange - our IP showed 961 sites.
    I'm wondering how you found that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicational View Post
    I'm wondering how you found that out?
    Most likely, by using http://whois.domaintools.com or http://webhosting.info