Help: Search results old for this host n need new reviews ..

Hi all

Well I'm brand new here and have been researching hosts and going crazy trying to decide.

I'm teaching myself everything about hosts /phpbb etc.. I made a mistake and purchase a host plan from whois but had to cancel it(Money back in 30 days) due to my mistake. They don't support phpbb with windows.

They were very good about giving me my refund in minutes with no problems. I purchased my domains with them also and will continue due to the fast response with my refund ..

Well anyway after all my research i decided to maybe go for something cheapo and found webstrike solutions. So i did a search here and allot came up but they are all old reviews. (Several Years old)

So anyone have any current reviews on webstrike solutions ?

Thanks so much for your time

Blue (Dee)

What are your hosting requirements and I can suggest some companies that I find to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    What are your hosting requirements and I can suggest some companies that I find to be great.
    Hi and thanks for replying

Well like i said i'm spanking new at this and currently teaching myself Xhtml/css and getting pretty good at it

First thing it has to be windows for now.

My forum will start off with a few hundred members and most likely grow to around 10,000 (Give or take)in 2 years. I will also have a link for things for my members to buy (Different domain name but same industry)

I think this is enough to start with)
    Web space 2000MB
    Monthly Transfer 10GB

MySQL or MS SQL I still don't know what the difference is .my SQL better ? )

Image Gallery is a MUST
    Shopping Cart
    Admin FTP Access
    Macromedia DreamWeaver support( I have this and teaching myself)
    Flash /Shockwave
    Lots of site traffic stats ( Allot of stats)
    Email Accounts ( Not many for now)
    Full Account Management
    Chat rooms
    Pm message for members
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee

I also was given " coldfusion " but have no
    idea what it is LOL ( Gift)

Like i said i'm brand new at this and want to get my forum up and running . I will be using the latest phpbb 3.0 so that's a must and has to be for windows.

Thanks so much and i'm sure you can see i'm a newbie at this but I teach myself everything and just starting researching hosts the last week. I'm so confused with the hosts thing and what some things are used for.

Thanks

Blue (Dee)

PS:I'm in the U.S.A on the Eastcoast if that helpswith picking a host.

Why the insistance on using windows ? Are you expecting to code in .asp ?

MySQL is more common in hosting providers. So it's best to use that.

Why do you need Windows? If it is because you have a windows home computer, then you can still use Linux as that doesn't affect anything.

cPanel has a "script library" and most hosts have a fancy option called "Fantastico" which installs the more popular scripts in 3 steps. phpBB is in there too!

Chatrooms are normally not allowed on shared servers for mostly using lots of CPU and RAM resources (slows other clients websites down). Is it necessary?

Hi Jamson

First off thanks for taking the time to reply

Yes I have windows home pc and not familiar with linux or unix.

I picked MySQL as that seems to be the best (Common ?)

Yes i been hearing about " Fantastico " on the host boards. One thing tho...phpBB 3.0 says i must upload/install it manually otherwise i will get no support. They said not to upload with install programs as it can sometimes mess things up.

Can i override the automatic upload/install with " Fantastico " and upload it manually ?

Ok ..I didn't know chat rooms eat up allot of bandwith/resource . No it's not necessary so i could pass on it for now.

Thanks so much

Blue (Dee)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    MySQL is more common in hosting providers. So it's best to use that.

Why do you need Windows? If it is because you have a windows home computer, then you can still use Linux as that doesn't affect anything.

cPanel has a "script library" and most hosts have a fancy option called "Fantastico" which installs the more popular scripts in 3 steps. phpBB is in there too!

Chatrooms are normally not allowed on shared servers for mostly using lots of CPU and RAM resources (slows other clients websites down). Is it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Why the insistance on using windows ? Are you expecting to code in .asp ?
    No...I'm not familiar with linux so I thought i would stick with windows.

Thanks

Blue(Dee)

Bump bump bump

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTears View Post
    No...I'm not familiar with linux so I thought i would stick with windows.
    You aren't going to be administering the server so the O/S at the other end is not relevant - you'll be connecting through the usual exposed methods, web, mail, ftp etc

For the requirements you're posting Linux with Cpanel and Fantastico should be more than adequate

and *dont* bump threads