View Poll Results: Cogent heads north...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Thing

8 72.73%
  • Bad Thing

0 0%
  • Both of the above

2 18.18%
  • Who cares you crazy canuck! (i.e. no opinion)

1 9.09%

Question Is Cogent about to change the face of the industry in Canada?

Is Cogent about to change the face of the industry in Canada? If you ask me the answer is yes.

Now, I am sure that like me many of you were not aware that Cogent is offering service in Canada. Well they are!

I grew more than a little tired of watching you Yanks offer those crazy prices on bandwidth. I knew (or so I thought) that Cogent did not service Canada because their network footprint as depicted on their website did not extend into the Great White North, eh. Well after a while I decided to call them anyway. I'm not quite sure why (probably to whine about the injustice of it all ), but I did.

Ends up that they are in Canada now. They bought a company called Shared Technologies and are offering service in Toronto and--I believe--in the national capital region (Ottawa to y'all down south, eh <-- wears a toque). There are only a few buildings lit in Toronto; 151 Front being one of them of course.

Their pricing is a little higher here, even given the exchange rate (God, I love U.S. dollars ): 5000 CND for their 100Mbps full duplex wholesale transit service (Spock: "That's approximately 3223.7266279819471308833 US, Captain"). Still pretty freakin' low!

I look into my crystal ball and see that this is going to change things here substantially. Is that a good thing? Hmm, I don't know. You see, I think that the vast majority of buyers (not to mention many Hosting Companies ) out there really are not that quality conscious and dirt cheap bandwidth only servers to exasperate that problem and I doubt that it is a sustainably business proposition. But what do I know?

Now, that doesn't mean I'm not going to use them. Heck, I pretty much have to because we're not Verio and have not really developed a substantial base of quality conscious business users.

What's your take on this? "Cogent heads north. a) Good thing? b) Bad thing c) Both d) Who cares you crazy Canuck!

"And that the beaver is a proud and noble animal!....etc. etc."
    One of Them - [email protected]
    Toll Free US and Canada: 1-866-323-THEY x223
    International/Local: 1-416-323-THEY x223
    Fax: 1-416-323-9978

Lol From the lack of response I gather that #4 would be the default winner.

I was actually looking at a company in the toronto area called Stream. I used to work in the same building as them and got to know a couple of the people that worked there. Unfortunately they went under and got bought out by Videotron Telecom. You wouldn't happen to know if they are using there backbone would you?

Haze,

Nahh, I don't know anything about their infrastructure.