Whois - which one to check

I wanted to buy I domain at site xyz and there it show domain is free. I checked several companies with same result. There is only one (who.is) which say domain is available, but whois data are shown - i see conatct data and date of registation. Domain was registered on 25th this month.
    I'm confused where to check if domain name is really available and what occours if I register domain which is already taken.

You need to check a whois which isn't cached. I'm no expert, but I believe NameCheap and Moniker use live whois data.
    Signature Under Construction.

Checked both: result is domain name available.
    But who.is say:
    Registrant:
    MindGenies International
    Sanket Gupta

6th Street
    Sector-57
    Noida
    UP
    IN etc....

Whois can not be used to check domain availability aprt from a few registries who do have a live whois synchronised to the registry database.
    You need to use a connection to the registry which is how most registrars do it.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Quote Originally Posted by alienrex View Post
    I wanted to buy I domain at site xyz and there it show domain is free. I checked several companies with same result. There is only one (who.is) which say domain is available, but whois data are shown - i see conatct data and date of registation. Domain was registered on 25th this month.
    I'm confused where to check if domain name is really available and what occours if I register domain which is already taken.
    I would only resort to the REGISTRY's authoritative whois. If it is a .COM, go to http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/whois/, which is updated almost real-time (e.g. new registrations WILL show up in seconds).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.