Windwos Vista/Outlook Search stopped working; Help!

Recently I noticed that many files in "indexable" locations in Windows Vista were not being picked up. In addition, in Microsoft Outlook 2007, random emails just dissapeared from the search index and further new emails were not being indexed at all. When I conduct a search in Outlook it says "might be incomplete because items are still being indexed - 200 items left" - well that nubmer either stays the same for days or increases. Something is not right with the search engine on my Vista machine.

I attempted as some online resources suggested to "rebuild the index", however that did nothing to solve the problem. Now, in Windows Vista Search, literally nothing appears in the search anymore. In addition, the Outlook issue is still their.

Any ideas? This is really becoming a huge issue.

Thanks

Is UAC enabled? I have experienced strange issues with file permissions when UAC is enabled. Usually disabling and re-enabling UAC fixes this. But I've not seen nor heard of that specific issue in Vista, sorry.

Also do you have Office 2007 SP1 installed yet?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

UAC is enabled. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

SP1 for office is installed. Good or bad?

Good. Fixed the issues my customers have with Office 2007 so far. In particular, Outlook's sluggishness & Excel crashing on certain spreadsheets.

Also if you become really desperate you could consider Vista SP1 Release Candidate. It makes fundamental changes to the search service apparently. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941946. I've been running the Beta & RC on my home machine since its first release without incidents. Your mileage may vary.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

UAC didin't seem to fix it.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Seems like the search index for vista itself magically started to index again. But yet, Outlook still hasn't indexed a thing. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

It's a killer without a search in outlook

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    Seems like the search index for vista itself magically started to index again. But yet, Outlook still hasn't indexed a thing. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated!

It's a killer without a search in outlook
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...73800&SiteID=1

Maybe that will help... dunno, stuck with xp myself...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Thanks so much! Found a solution in that thread that fixed this really disabling problem:

Look for a program somewhere under "c:\program files" (different versions of office install in different locations) called scanpst.exe and use that to see if there is any corruption in the PST file.
    My PST I guess was in fact corrupted or just filled with errors and it ran, fixed them and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    Thanks so much! Found a solution in that thread that fixed this really disabling problem:

My PST I guess was in fact corrupted or just filled with errors and it ran, fixed them and I'm good to go.
    I'm good for something.

Glad I... well, google... could help.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!