Dedicated and DNS question.

Hi Guys,
    I still cant get my head around the DNS system! Ok, I get how you add records on the domain, but what I don't still get is: Why is there a DNS section on some control panels like Plesk? I thought all the DNS settings would be edited though your domain registrar?

Also, I have a dedicated server with 6 IPs, and I want to start using nameservers (ie ns1... ns2...) to make it easier to add new domains, can this be done via cPanel, or would I have to edit BIND myself (should have mentioned the OS is CentOS 4). And will I be able to make mass DNS changes though the nameservers?

Thanks in advance and sorry i have board some of you!

Hi ehuk,

You can use the DNS server of your domain registrar, or host your own DNS server on your dedicated server and use that. That's why some control panels have a DNS section.

Yes, with Cpanel you can add nameservers, but also make sure the correct NS and A records are added in the DNS zone.

Mass dns/nameserver change can be done via some perl script, but that you need to look for. I don't think cpanel has a built-in feature for this, since I personally don't use cpanel
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

cPanel don't have the functionality to change mass dns/nameservers. You will have to do it one at a time in cpanel.