Exclamation Trouble with Virpus

I purchased a vps from Virpus on the 17th of December. I had signed up with them because they allowed proxies, had 100% uptime, 24/7 support services, and had a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. The price of their vps's was great, and I thought I had found the perfect host for my needs. But, I was wrong...

Virpus would not refund me even though they had downtime for a few hours, which resulted in downtime for my websites, and I could not access my email due to problems on their side. On the vps section of their website, it says all of the following: 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, 100% Uptime Guarantee, 24/7 Support Services. They do not honor this, especially the part about the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

The email problem was not fixed until the 23rd, 3 days after it was opened, and they believed I was faking that my email did not work. It got fixed when they tweaked some of their server settings. Is that my fault? No, I have no control of the server nor did I touch any of the settings after purchase. I even showed them proof by taking screen shots of everything, and they ignored the screen shots as well as my responses. I asked for credit, and they did not give it since they said it was "on my part" that the email was not working.

Every other day I have been complaining about downtime. I showed them proof that I had downtime since I could not ping my websites nor tracert them. Even their website was down. When they replied to the ticket, they said "Everything works fine on our end."

How many times do I have to explain this? I did nothing to prevent the email from coming in and going out. I have only had email problems with one hosting company before and that was a dedicated server host who had something wrong on their part. If I have been with over 5 popular hosting companies and did not receive any errors or problems when using outlook, do you think that I would have problems now on my part? Everything is on your part. The problem was with your server. I do not have a firewall, the problem was on your end. I am tired of this support that you give me. You think that I am intentionally trying to make this problem exist.

As you will not credit me nor have 100% SLA, I want a refund now. The 100% uptime is not even true. I have received downtime a few days ago as well as today. As I did nothing wrong on my part, I except you to live up to your 30 Day Money Back Guarantee as well as let me have hosting for 2 days so that my domain will propagate changing to a new server while I lose no downtime.

PROOF OF DOWNTIME (Do not tell me that the website is not down on your computer as it is the same for every computer):
    http://i11.tinypic.com/87jvj2s.jpg
    http://i13.tinypic.com/6ps4ras.png

PROOF OF MAIL ERROR (NO CONNECTION):
    http://i13.tinypic.com/85616ps.png - Windows Live Mail is a newer version of Outlook. The email worked on here earlier and on Outlook Express.
    http://i8.tinypic.com/8br1gn9.png - Failed To Connect

Once again my conditions are:
    1) Full Refund - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    2) 2 Days of Hosting - This will ensure that I have hardly any downtime when transferring to a new host.

I want the refund sent ASAP.

-------------------------------------------------
    Dear DJ,

We understand your frustration you had for this mail issue.

On multiple occasions, we checked the reported mail issue with both "Outlook Express" and "Webmail". Both mail clients worked for your account from our end. We had provided proof each time with the mails we were able to send/ receive via these clients.

There were no software firewall installed in the server. However, Iptables were stopped for testing purposes, which seems to have worked for you at that time. Please note, we did not add any iptables rules to block SMTP connections from your end.

Your local end softwares like ( Internet Security Firewall, Security filter softwares, Email Antivirus) or any settings at ISP end could be the cause of the issue. Since, port 26 are usually blocked by default in all Firewall and ISPs, unless they are opened up manually.

Thanks,
    Ven
    Virpus Networks, Inc.
    Virtual Enterprise Support Group
    I don't even have a firewall, antivirus, or security features on Windows XP because I disabled them all. I have never had any problem with SBC Yahoo DSL's settings before, so that is not the problem. SBC Yahoo DSL only blocked Port 25, other than that they did nothing else. The problem is on Virpus's side, not mine. Virpus will not admit that the problem was on their part.

The technical support representatives at Virpus seem to be ignoring just about everything I have said. I already repeated a few times that Port 26 was accessible, and that I wanted a refund, but they ignored me every time. I even submitted a ticket to billing yesterday at 4:00 pm, which has not been answered as of yet. 24/7 support services, huh? I am frustrated with the efforts of this company, and believe they do not value their customers.

My websites do not even consume too many resources, bandwidth, or disk space. I have only used about 6gb worth of bandwidth out of 500gb bandwidth, and 3gb worth of space out of 40gb disk space. I have used 200 mb ram out of 512 mb ram (with 1024 mb burst ram).

I replied to the tickets (the email and billing tickets) yesterday at around 4:00 pm, and they haven't replied since. I asked for a refund multiple times, and my requests have been ignored. I have wasted my time with this company, and will never host with them again. I believe Virpus is the worst hosting company that I have ever hosted with.

I tried to resolve this issue by cooperating with them, but they did not cooperate. Instead they kept persisting on the fact that the problems were on my part, and not theirs. They believed that I had an effect on the problems, and that it was my fault that the email was not working for me. As for the downtime, they suggested that there was no downtime at all. I did not want to make the company look bad or bring this issue to WHT, but I had no other choice.

kotrt,

To be honest, this actually does look like a problem on your end. If they claim your VPS was up - I would give that some brownie points, because they wouldn't neccesarily lie to you - and I'm thinking that after seeing the problem was the domain wasn't resolving. This looks like a classic DNS cache issue, which you should've flushed. You should ping the IP and tracert the IP rather than the domain. This coincides with why your mail didn't work. You could run "telnet IP:25" and await a response to see if that's active. Or "telnet IP:110" - I don't mean to sound like a grinch, but you said "on every computer" it is the same, where you post screenshots from one box. I'm almost 100% sure it's just a DNS issue.

I tried accessing it from 3 of my laptops as well, but it did not work. The domain finished propagating from my previous hosting provider on the 19th of December. I had cleared my cache and everything. I did flushed the dns using "C:\>ipconfig /flushdns. I even had downtime on the 23rd, 4 days after my domain was finished propagating.

As for the email, it was fixed after they tweaked their server settings. It took them 3 days to do this since they kept saying that the error would not recreate on their computers. Port 26 was not blocked by my ISP and I told them this.
    Last edited by r2d3m; 12-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.

What would them tweaking their server settings have anything to do with your VPS mail settings? Unless every customer on that node complained something wasn't accessible, it wasn't something probable like a firewall - therefore they lose brownie points there. For your DNS, it's very weird that it would not resolve. Did you try pinging the IP or using OpenDNS for a CacheCheck on their website?

They removed or changed the firewall settings. I used OpenDNS when I could not access my website, and it worked (I could access it), but the next day I could not longer access it. I did not ping the IP, I only pinged the website "ping abigarcade.com".

My website and email service are down. Please verify that it is down on your end. Thanks.

The website is below:
    www.abigarcade.com

It does appear to be down for me.

However, you say you tried it on 3 of your laptops. That means nothing, because they are all on the same network (I assume). Different computers on the same network will all show the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
    It does appear to be down for me.

However, you say you tried it on 3 of your laptops. That means nothing, because they are all on the same network (I assume). Different computers on the same network will all show the same thing.
    What can I do to prove that I have downtime? How do I prove it? I have tried to connect to the website using my network, my friend's network, and my neighbor's network. All have been in vain. I did not have downtime for a few days until today.

I submitted two tickets to Virpus a few days ago, and I have received no response as of yet. I even submitted another ticket, and that still needs to be replied to. It looks like they are avoiding answering or replying to my tickets.

Well, one thing I would suggest in the future is trying to ping your website from a 3rd party source such as siteuptime.com . If your computer was the issue such as firewall as they may claim this would easily prove that their was issues.

This is all I would have to show?

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/233/proof1cd8.png

Regardless of this all, it still doesnt explain why he along with myself cannot view www.virpus.com
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

-- Adam

Yes, that would be good to show apache is down but i'm trying to remember this other site that will show if the server is down, mail, ftp, apache, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Regardless of this all, it still doesnt explain why he along with myself cannot view www.virpus.com
    Yes, I could not view www.virpus.com and www.myvirpus.com at times. As of right now, www.myvirpus.com is opening fine, but www.virpus.com is not responding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    Yes, that would be good to show apache is down but i'm trying to remember this other site that will show if the server is down, mail, ftp, apache, and etc.
    Thanks for your help, and for trying to remember the website.
    Last edited by r2d3m; 12-29-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Finally received a "pending" refund. Thanks for your help.