Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Do hosts offering reseller accounts also give end-user technical support?

    Hi,
    I have a few customers scattered on different providers and I am thinking of buying a reseller account to host them all in one location.
    However I am no technical genius and wouldn't be able to provide technical support to my customers should they need it. I wanted to know if the provider from whom I buy a reseller account will also extend tech support to my account holders. Is that a normal thing to expect?
    I didn't have this question 2 hours ago, but noticed Innohosting mention it on their homepage which made me wonder about this.
    Any advice in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    icubyx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by icubyx View Post
    Hi,
    I have a few customers scattered on different providers and I am thinking of buying a reseller account to host them all in one location.
    However I am no technical genius and wouldn't be able to provide technical support to my customers should they need it. I wanted to know if the provider from whom I buy a reseller account will also extend tech support to my account holders. Is that a normal thing to expect?
    I didn't have this question 2 hours ago, but noticed Innohosting mention it on their homepage which made me wonder about this.
    Any advice in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    icubyx
    It depends on the host. It's not easy to deliver and requires you to have set up the right infrastructure. For us, we had to develop a whole new support desk system along with integration scripts etc. Not to mention the staff requirements!

    Not sure about others, but it isn't a common thing.

    Happy Holidays
    Last edited by IH-Rameen; 12-25-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA, UK, Singapore
    Posts
    3,325
    I agree with Rameen. It totally depends on the host. However, I have seen that the most of the reputed and professional hosts does provide true end user support with their reseller plans.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

    Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    I'd say - yes. As rule web hosts which provide reseller packages have indoors support. Other question is the quality of such support.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by sure123 View Post
    I agree with Rameen. It totally depends on the host. However, I have seen that the most of the reputed and professional hosts does provide true end user support with their reseller plans.
    What has this to do with reputed or professional ?? it has more to do in which market a host decides to go, there are enough good, reputed and professional hosts out there not giving end-user-support to reseller plans, but only to the reseller owner/employee's.

    But to answer the OP's question, yes there are hosts offering this, you may find them i.e. in the offer section. Some have it included in the price, others are asking a small fee for it. And some just do not offer it at all.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    However, I have seen that the most of the reputed and professional hosts does provide true end user support with their reseller plans.
    I don't get the impression that end user support is yet so widely offered. Lots of good reseller hosting providers don't offer it. It's not how their business was built, it's probably not what their target market is after and it's not something they're prepared to offer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3

    Talking Buyer beware...

    I used to host my resold client accounts with a bigger hosting organization that offered to handle support directly. The concept sounded great! However I started losing customers right and left because the support people were rude to my customers and really had no idea what they were doing. After my clients told me why they were leaving I called up the same tech support number and they were extremely rude to me as well despite trying to be nice. That was about 7 years ago and ever since I've been offering support in house. If I didn't know the answer then I would find the answer through forums or through a buddy network and was still able to provide an answer/solution within 24 hours. I haven't had a single customer leave me since because of support issues. Something else to keep in mind is that most customers don't "expect" you to know every answer within minutes of them asking. However they do expect you to find the answer and let them know it within a reasonable time frame (24 hours). If you can do that then you'll be in good shape. If a customer demands answers to every question within minutes then you probably wouldn't want them as a customer anyway as they are typically VERY difficult to work with.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    I'd say - yes. As rule web hosts which provide reseller packages have indoors support. Other question is the quality of such support.
    He is not asking about in-house support. He is asking about end user support. Maybe read the thread next time?
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    I strongly feel that by resellers offering end-user support, really lose the competitive advantage that they have over the larger companies, like GoDaddy & Site5. You can develop some very loyal customers by responding to their technical support requests personally, even if it means you may have to check with your own first to get the answer, and then respond to the customer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,582
    Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    I strongly feel that by resellers offering end-user support, really lose the competitive advantage that they have over the larger companies, like GoDaddy & Site5. You can develop some very loyal customers by responding to their technical support requests personally, even if it means you may have to check with your own first to get the answer, and then respond to the customer.
    I have to agree there and it can be especially true when the majority of the resellers customers come from countries where English is not the first language.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    I strongly feel that by resellers offering end-user support, really lose the competitive advantage that they have over the larger companies, like GoDaddy & Site5. You can develop some very loyal customers by responding to their technical support requests personally, even if it means you may have to check with your own first to get the answer, and then respond to the customer.
    I think that depends on how the reseller conducts the provisioning of end user support.

    If you are friendly and professional - the same you are with your own customers, then you can develop that same customer loyalty for your resellers..

    Better yet, leaving it to a company that has the skills, expertise and knowledge to develop a relationship with the end-users of the customers can actually be more effective than a new comer to the industry that has yet to learn the ropes of how to do so.

    For example, consider a new start-up company by someone that is very technical minded. However say he/she lacks in customer service. That person may be able to answer questions and whatnot but may not develop any decent relationship with his/her customers because he/she lacks the customer service skills and skills which only experience in the industry can provide.

    But then say that person signs up with a company offering end-user support that has been in the business for a long time, has skilled customer service reps backed up by a team of technically proficient engineers. That company can provide not only just answers to questions, but provides those answers in a friendly way that creates customer loyalty at a much faster rate than otherwise possible. In which case the reseller that signs up with a host offering end-user support now has the competitive advantage of not only developing loyalty amongst customers, but that reseller now has professionals at his side answering his/her clients 24x7 round the clock allowing him/her to focus on other areas such as sales or billing - maybe even take a vacation without worrying about his/her business.

    Clearly, this all depends on the host you sign up with that will deliver the end user support, but it can and has been done. Take HG for example, they outsourced too and now have a very loyal fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    I have to agree there and it can be especially true when the majority of the resellers customers come from countries where English is not the first language.
    That is a valid point, which is why as I mentioned before - the right infrastructure is necessary. The support desk which we developed and give to our clients allows the reseller to see our replies and also make replies her//himself.
    Last edited by IH-Rameen; 12-26-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    answering his/her clients 24x7 round the clock allowing him/her to focus on other areas such as sales or billing - maybe even take a vacation without worrying about his/her business.
    These are benefits of end user support that I see as valuable.

    I will agree with inogenius though that for a lot of the resellers out there, outsourcing support in this manner will be a double edged sword. It is that personal touch that can really set them apart.

    Take HG for example, they outsourced too and now have a very loyal fan base.
    Outsourcing for them was a temporary step while they were growing, and it was a compromise in order to feasibly deliver 24/7 support. There is a reason why their support is in-house now, and that is the tighter grip on support quality. All just my humble opinion, of course.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Snowman View Post
    These are benefits of end user support that I see as valuable.

    I will agree with inogenius though that for a lot of the resellers out there, outsourcing support in this manner will be a double edged sword. It is that personal touch that can really set them apart.

    Outsourcing for them was a temporary step while they were growing, and it was a compromise in order to feasibly deliver 24/7 support. There is a reason why their support is in-house now, and that is the tighter grip on support quality. All just my humble opinion, of course.
    Absolutely agree with HG point. But I believe the important and most difficult part of starting up is establishing yourself, and HG achieved that while outsourcing.

    Indeed you keep things in-house when you want a tighter grip. However I disagree on the personal touch side. I believe a host offering end-user support properly can add a personal touch just as well or maybe even better than a start-up host

    Maybe a few years ago when end-user support was still a new thing being tested, it had its problem, but time has given the opportunity to improve upon a lot of things, of which the personal touch thing has been one of our main focuses.

    Of course, as mentioned before, it all depends on the host you go with.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  14. #14
    Hi all,
    Thank you for all your comments. I am primarily a web designer, who also hosts. Never thought of stepping into the hosting business, but doing so, since my clients expect me to offer a one-stop shop. I asked this question since I am facing the prospect of a a particularly picky client (and whom I can't refuse) who keeps asking me questions for 'academic interest' and I don't have the time or expertise to answer them all.
    My other clients have been no trouble at all, and I have been fairly successful in keeping them happy.
    My take from the discussion is:
    If you have normal clients and a good hosting service running normal websites, you don't have much to worry about and can keep the support in-house.
    But if the clients or their websites are on critical path (like this one), then I would prefer to outsource support even if it means paying that little extra...
    Can somebody demystify "HG" and lift the veil of ignorance from my eyes?
    Here's wishing everybody a Great New Year!
    Thanks

  15. #15
    Hi,

    i have a reseller with scalahosting and they offer support for a reasonable cost monthly.

    24/7 Helpdesk Support for Your Clients $2 / month
    24/7 LIVE chat technical support for your clients $20 / month


    i don't use this option but from the support i have had with them i am sure it is worth it

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    103
    ResellerZoom.com has some great packages with end user support.
    .
    Cam T.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by icubyx View Post
    Hi,
    I have a few customers scattered on different providers and I am thinking of buying a reseller account to host them all in one location.
    However I am no technical genius and wouldn't be able to provide technical support to my customers should they need it. I wanted to know if the provider from whom I buy a reseller account will also extend tech support to my account holders. Is that a normal thing to expect?
    I didn't have this question 2 hours ago, but noticed Innohosting mention it on their homepage which made me wonder about this.
    Any advice in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    icubyx
    I have saw a few reseller providers who offer live chat to you and your clients. "Scala Hosting" gives you a live chat box for your site and gives 24/7 support to your clients for $20 per month. Hope this helps!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Can somebody demystify "HG" and lift the veil of ignorance from my eyes?
    HG stands for HostGator in the posts above.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by icubyx View Post
    Hi,
    I have a few customers scattered on different providers and I am thinking of buying a reseller account to host them all in one location.
    However I am no technical genius and wouldn't be able to provide technical support to my customers should they need it. I wanted to know if the provider from whom I buy a reseller account will also extend tech support to my account holders. Is that a normal thing to expect?
    I didn't have this question 2 hours ago, but noticed Innohosting mention it on their homepage which made me wonder about this.
    Any advice in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    icubyx
    Hi
    If you own multiple website or sell them i recommend scalahosting.com, they are cheap, reliable and the support is unbelievale. I seek them for help 5 times in one day and the wait time for a reply fells no more then 10 seconds. They work hard to solve your problem, and their expert level of knowledge solve the problems quickly.

    Price 5 star
    service 5 star
    reliability 5 star

    cant be more satisfied with a hosting company.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by kientran View Post
    Hi
    If you own multiple website or sell them i recommend scalahosting.com, they are cheap, reliable and the support is unbelievale. I seek them for help 5 times in one day and the wait time for a reply fells no more then 10 seconds. They work hard to solve your problem, and their expert level of knowledge solve the problems quickly.

    Price 5 star
    service 5 star
    reliability 5 star

    cant be more satisfied with a hosting company.
    What domain do you have hosted with them? How long have you been with them?
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  21. #21

    Go daddy provides end user support

    Go daddy reseller program provides enduser support and you don't need pay extra money.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    497
    I don't see why the main host would not directly support the reseller's end user. Most of the issues tickets are opened on requires some type of admin and or root level user. If a reseller gives the user access to the ticket system or just emails us what there customer is saying it should not matter, a ticket is a ticket as long as it is some type of admin/root issue needed.

    Now, what hosts probally won't do is hand holding just because that takes a lot of time and resources.
    Carolina Hosting Services
    http://www.carolinahosting.net | @CarolinaHosting | Facebook.com/CarolinaHosting
    VMware | cPanel | Linux | Softaculous | 16 Years Hosting Experience

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    386
    RZ offers free end user support in all but their budget and windows plans.
    Also, in regards to the bigger companies not providing as personable support - Definitely not true. DH is a huge host, and I love their support team more than I do any other company I work with. RZ is really fast, but not as fun, site5 is kind of a nice in-between.
    It depends on the company.
    But that's really pretty off-topic. End-user support is a feature, whether or not you need it should determine whether or not you should use it in your buying decision. Don't get the feature creep

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •