Rackspace - ripped me off?

ok, i want to let all guys here know my situation with rackspace.

In Otc, when i need a server for hosting business, i contacted them. The sales rep emailed me many times, and called me, he asked me when will i need to use the server and i told him im not sure. maybe middle of Dec. He then provided me a lot of promo and suggest me to sign a contract to keep the promo. He said the promo will be not available long, you need to keep the promo by signing this contract and i will handle everything for you.

I was afraid that time and because i dont understand any law or rule here.im not USA and Im too young. So i told him. im not sure the day for server to be online, after signing this contract, what happens if i dont need the server anymore.? Do i have to pay any fee? He said "dont worry, i understand, just sign it and i will handle it. I have to go out of town tomorrow so you need to sign the contract tonight, so i can keep the promo for you, if not, it will be late"

Now Christmas, i receive 3 emails from support
    Server online
    Computer Provision
    Multi-IP Server Upgr

They are all security sensitive information, they ask me please log on to my.rackspace.com to view the update but they dont provide any login details. HOW can i log in to see what happens?

--why didnt they contact me few weeks ago and ask me "Timeframe is coming, are u sure and ready to use the server so we can set it up for you?"

Im so confused and worried so i contact the sales rep. and then contact the sales guy who talked with me before. He told me i have to pay fee to get out of it.

I told him are you kidding me? It doesnt look like what you said before

And im still waiting to see his reply, what will happens but im really worried. i dont have a lot money in my card. and i dont want to pay for service which i didnt use anytime

IS it my fault or their fault here? someone please explain to me. im only feel that they ripped me off

Sorry for a long thread and my english.

Thanks

Did you read the contract? It probably said something about "when" the server would be setup, and he probably said that you could back out of the contract before a certain date without paying any fees.

Now that your server's been setup, you'll most likely have to pay the fee, because of the simple fact that you signed into a contract with them.
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()

well, the contract doesnt have the exact date for the server to be online, i only dont understand why didnt they contact me some days before they setup the server, ask me " are u sure and ready for the server so we can set it up?" .as i told im not good in english, he instructed me to fill the contract, i dont read everything, what i was afraid is if i dont need the server, they will charge me some fee to cancel it. So i asked that guy before, but he told me dont worry. you wont have to be charged. i will handle everything, just sign the contract so i can keep the promo for you, when u need the server, the promo will be available for you!

If you can prove what he said to you before, then you should have no problem getting out of the contract. Also, ask to speak to a manager if he objects; the salesperson may be trying to strong-arm you so that they can keep their commission.

If you still have problems, do not threaten a lawsuit, but express that you are aware that you have legal grounds to be out of the contract. Also, as you have suggested you are young, the contract may not be legally binding if you are underage.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

now i contact sale chat, and also email that guy, ask how to contact my account manager but no one response me. They told me log in to my portal to contact but they provide emails without login details. i dont see any username or password i can log in.

So that's what they mean by "fanatical support."
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

If you live outside US then the contract have no power, call your bank to suspend your card or simply goto any ATM machine and get all funds available in cash until you solve this ...

sounds like he intimidated you to sign the contract. the going out of town bit sounds like a total lie, imo

still....should of known better than to sign a contract without reading it.

I would suggest reading everything in the contract the next time around. If you don't understand everything, just ask. If they aren't patient or unwilling to work with you, try speaking with another host. There are a lot of companies that offer hosting, you will find one that will meet your needs and ensure you understand everything.

I have heard a few of these stories from some new clients. Thankfully if they are true rackspace is sending business our way so go rackspace. :-)

In the end don't sign the contract until you are sure you need the service.

This is what i hate about Robust Salesperson. I know alot of them that will do anything to con people. This is not the kind of thing you want to make your client happy.

I signed up for an office space last month asking the sales manager weather we could have more discounts rather than the price they quote me , The sales manager says no at the current time no discount and ask me to sign up . Then we i went back home check on their website . It says sign up online and get 50% off + 2 months FREE...

Sometimes as a sales person you need to gain trust from your client.

Well we all know they want to get commision but this is simple not the way

Wow, this just seems like a blatant attempt to strong arm someone into a commitment for whatever reason in my opinion. There are allot of companies these days that do not require contracts to purchase a dedicated server. So you may want to search around for those companies in the future and also as you may see here on WHT, special offers are made all the time and do not require a contract.
    As for what cheyenne1212 stated, it is very important to read contracts before you agree to them and sign them as not all companies operate on the up and up. I hope you are able to resolve this issue.

Have you contacted support directly and asked for help accessing your account online at http://my.rackspace.com? You will need your account number in order to proceed, but any of the support techs can help you get online.

Keep in mind that yesterday was Christmas, so not hearing from a sales rep this week shouldn't be too surprising. Most companies in America are running smaller staffing levels this week. Support is still available 24x7 though.

No matter what any sales person tells you, you have to read any contract you sign. If you signed a contract based on getting a cheap price or no setup fee without reading it, you have to honor that contract. This is not a Rackspace-specific thing, it is a salesperson-specific thing. S/he was probably right by saying that the promotion was only good for a certain amount of time. Rackspace has promotions quite often. However, this doesn't remove you from your legal responsibility.

I'm also a little confused. Did you sign a contract in October or in December?

well, i contacted 2 times and now they say a manager will contact me via email to handle this issue.

i signed it in Otc

16. I've seen several posts about signed contract and they feel "trapped". Usually, somebody from rackspace would offer a resolution to make you happy, so just try to contact their manager and explain the situation. Be very careful before signing anymore contract

Please let us know how everything worked out. I'm surprised that you were able to sign a contract in October and then wait two months before having the server go live. Most single server contracts are installed in 24 hours, sometimes 3- business days depending on the server specifics and network options. Delayed installations are rare, but when they are approved the salesperson and customer have agreed to a specific live date to deliver the server on. Salespeople cannot offer delayed deployments without management approval.

How old are you?
    Peakhost.com Hosting
    Quality hosting since 2001
    http://peakhost.com