HyperVM questions

1. LxLabs suggests to run a single master to control many slaves. I wonder what the system requirements of that single master box? And how many slaves it should control without any trouble

2. Let's say we have 2 real dedicated servers: 1 running DB only; 1 for VPS(s). On DB server, we have IP 192.168.1.2, on VPS (s), we have IP 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4... 192.168.1.x.

So, my question is: can the VPS(s) connect to DB server by using 192.168.1.x IP range?

Thank you.

1. 512mb ram is good starting point for hyperVM.

2. Yes, VPS can connect to each other through 192.168.1.x if they are on the same subnet.

Merry Christmas.
    -- Adam

Adam,

Thanks for answering and Merry Xmas too

1. 512MB RAM is good for HyperVM, but how many slaves it can control? Let's say I will use a dedicated server for master box only, there is no VPS on that box. Just use it for controlling slaves

2. just want to make sure again: even VPS(s) are on different dedicated servers?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Adam,

Thanks for answering and Merry Xmas too

1. 512MB RAM is good for HyperVM, but how many slaves it can control? Let's say I will use a dedicated server for master box only, there is no VPS on that box. Just use it for controlling slaves
    Hi,

Im not really sure, try sending a sales email to lxlabs.

I think it depends more on how much your clients use the control panel than how many slaves it controls.
    -- Adam

The HyperVM panel barely uses any resources. It only sends simple commands thru PHP and Apache. You do need a fair share of HD though as OS templates are hefty high on space usage sometimes. The RAM can be from I would say around 256+ - and that will control as many slaves as you need. It's not the AMOUNT of slaves persay. Merry Christmas

I have some more questions

1. Is there any slowness when running master in one datacenter, and slaves in different datacenter?
    2. if the master box goes down, is there trouble with slaves? Or they just cannot login HyperVM?

Thank you.

1) The only slowness might be the first time the template is copied over but other than that there is no problem
    2) If the master breaks then the slaves stay up and as you say they just can't login to HyperVM
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

So, all OS templates are saved on the master? How many GB required if I want CentOS 4.5 and 5 (for both 32 and 64 bits) versions?

Thank you.

I would guess 3-4GB would be enough just for those templates
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2 View Post
    1) The only slowness might be the first time the template is copied over but other than that there is no problem
    I just recognized this: using master in one datacenter, slaves in another datacenter, that will have 2 different IP ranges. Should it be the problem? Can HyperVM manage it?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I just recognized this: using master in one datacenter, slaves in another datacenter, that will have 2 different IP ranges. Should it be the problem? Can HyperVM manage it?
    Yes, you can assign different IP pools to different servers.
    -- Adam