Question about nameservers

I'm assuming that one of the benefits of having your own private nameservers is that if you ever have to move to a different upstream provider, all you have to do is change the IP addresses of your nameservers and move all the files over to the new server. But you don't have to ask all your customers to make DNS changes with their registrar, since they'll still be pointing to the same nameservers.

Assuming that's correct, here's where my concern is. I know that with registrars like register.com and dotster, when a site owner has to specify where to point the site to, they just have to enter the nameserver names. But aren't there some registrars who ask for the name as well as the IP address of the nameservers? If that's the case, would they then still have to go in and manually request DNS changes for their domains?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Your first point is true.

You second point concerned me at one time as well however, I had an opportunity to speak to my registar who explained that the IPs entered are stripped prior to the database getting sent upstream.

Hope that makes sense.

Lats...

Thanks, Lats. Hmm. So they only submit nameserver names and not the IPs? If that's the case, I wonder why they even bother to ask for the IP address?
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I don't know, I'd guess it's a hangover from some old requirement.

That's what my registrar said - perhaps some other opinions will come in.

Lats...
    Lats...

I do not know why some require the IP numbers either, I know if you move your sites and change name servers a site changes over with out problem.

Maybe someone that does name registery will come along and enlighten us.