Why is Linux hosting losing market share?

I was having a look at Netcraft recently and noticed that windows has caught up big time. I would love to know some of the contributing factors for this?
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

windows is more user-friendly; more graphix-oriented; object-oriented..but I doubt if they are catching up big time.

linux is built rather secure and stable tho; even tho its text-based but still have a large market share.

Look at *nix vs. windows. The picture changes drastically.

It could be the emergence of .NET which you see a lot of company's now using to make various applications.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

yea dat is right also cos Microsoft have many partners around world wide and its own .ASP trainings centers not same as php and Linux .
    English & Arabian Full Support Management
    Provide Unlimited Features

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Look at *nix vs. windows. The picture changes drastically.
    Does it really? That was not my impression.

Or the fact Go Daddy switched from Nix to WIndows and with that switch were millions of parked domains...

- John C.

Yeah, many people don't like dealing with the command line, and some only know how to deal with Windows. There are a few pros and cons to Windows, and a few pros and cons to Nix. A good comparison is ASP. Windows is really good at ASP. Linux can run ASP, but it's not good at it.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    Or the fact Go Daddy switched from Nix to WIndows and with that switch were millions of parked domains...

- John C.
    Yes, I knew about this, but I don't think it completely explains the phenomenon. It would also be interesting to see the comparison among live sites.

I also agree with the .net part. I think its because of this new technology people are switching. I know i switched

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post

- John C.
    Yep - I believe the statistics are fairly inaccurate due to this, as well as many other registrars using Windows for their parked domains.

Though, it'll be interesting to see how Linux's market share fairs over the next 24 months with cPanel for Windows hitting beta in 2 weeks..

Other then the godaddy/parked domain stats perhaps more and more inexperienced users are getting into hosting and since they come from a windows background windows servers are simpler for them to start out on since they are an extension of their own desktop.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

Windows has been promoting all through these years with aggressive campaigns and generous budgets. They are more and more into the integration of desktop with servers apps, Linux on the other hand depends on their status of open source and vast number of applications already written for it. It is a close integrated system versus a vast but loosely integrated system. Considering that Windows are nearly on every desktop machines, their strategies seemed to be effective given the trends seen in Netcraft. Linux remain the dominant force in server OS but Microsoft is a potent challenger.

I think the fact is that Microsoft has vastly improved its server offering - especially for web servers and SaS platforms - both in terms of the operating system, the developer tools and licensing.
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

They had vastly improved, from NT 4 to Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. Those who used NT4 will really appreciate Windows 2003. Looking forward to Windows 2008! Sharepoint is heaven compared to Frontpage and also their efforts to reach out to developers to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    I think the fact is that Microsoft has vastly improved its server offering - especially for web servers and SaS platforms - both in terms of the operating system, the developer tools and licensing.

Over the past couple of years, Microsoft has gotten very aggressive in their pricing to Windows based hosting companies. They have special programs for hosting companies, or ISVs as M$ calls them, in order to try to expand the market.

There will be a trend perhaps in the enterprise/business are but I think *nix will still serve at least 60-70% of the sites on the internet for years to come.

I do think the more windows servers out there though the more bad things resulting from compromises will happen. I know windows can be a secure system

But when I was at zone-h, well still am just havent done any work there in while. Anyway, what I noticed was that using per capita percentages windows servers were up to 4 times more likely to be compromised then *nix servers. I studied on this from 2004-2005 and part of 2006.

I had seen some hacking groups who did nothing but win2k and win2k3 servers. Probably hundreds per night. Now there are a lot of poor admins out there but there couldnt have been that much. So that leads me to think that there are quite a few 0day exploits for windows and the ones that are discovered remain unpatched for very long times before a fix.

The one group I would say hacks the most windows servers is fatal error - Total attacks: 32589 of which 10591 single ip and 21998 mass defacements
    All windows servers with a few *nix here and there.

So just an observation, I know its all ultimately to the admins but it appears that a windows server definitely is going to require some measures to make it more secure just like anything else but would probably require a more skilled admin. And even then if there are unpatched 0days then there is nothing you can do.

Im not stating nix is more secure then windows, Im not starting that debate. In my opinion nix is but also I think linux is easier to learn for novice admins, its more secure right out of the box, etc.

I will probably see if I can collect this years stats on this and post my findings. Of course a lot of intrusions mirrored on zone-h are web app hacks so there is no way to really know accurately. Id still say though that per capita windows servers get hacked more often then nix servers. And I believe that if windows does in fact take more of the market especially in the webhosting area there will be a rise in spam, botnets, and other nasty things.