Looking for hosting...

I am looking for hosting but I can't seem to make up my mind so was looking for recommendations. I really don't mind overselling as this is not for production sites but rather a place to act as a testbed for sites before they go "live".

Ne ways I am looking for:
    Unlimited or high count of subdomains
    Unlimited or high count of mySQL DBs
    At least 2 add-on domains
    At least 5gb Space
    At least 20gb BW
    cPanel preferably
    Fantastico preferably

And my budget is in the range of $5-8/mo and willing to pay annually.

I was pretty dead set and was gonna go with lunarpages but it seems they have turned downhill in the past year... >_<;;
    Last edited by Ariolander; 12-24-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Your specs and budget seem really nice. I don't think you'll have a problem getting hosting whether it be massive oversellers or not. At this point, I would probably just consider reviews and try to find decent companies. Since it's a test bed, you won't really need reliability.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I was pretty dead set and was gonna go with lunarpages but it seems they have turned downhill in the past year... >_<;;

>>What do you mean? lunarpages turn downhill? if you don't mind using oversellers as a tested ground?

5-8 a month you can find a great host with those specifications. Search around there are many.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by elliotcol View Post

>>What do you mean? lunarpages turn downhill? if you don't mind using oversellers as a tested ground?
    Lunarpages itself has had quite a few negative reviews lately. It's not the fact that they are oversellers, but they are doing something else to get the negative reviews.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by Ariolander View Post
    I am looking for hosting but I can't seem to make up my mind so was looking for recommendations. I really don't mind overselling as this is not for production sites but rather a place to act as a testbed for sites before they go "live".

Ne ways I am looking for:
    Unlimited or high count of subdomains
    Unlimited or high count of mySQL DBs
    At least 2 add-on domains
    At least 5gb Space
    At least 20gb BW
    cPanel preferably
    Fantastico preferably

And my budget is in the range of $5-8/mo and willing to pay annually.

The above posts really haven't helped you (sig spam). So I may as well SUGGEST a host or 6.

Try these:
    www.dreamhost.com
    www.hostgator.com
    www.crucialp.com

The three have mixed reviews, excluding crucialp, they seem to be lacking reviews. I do however only have good things to say about them.

Sadly dreamhost doesn't fit your budget unless you pay long term.

So I'll list a few more:
    www.mediatemple.com
    www.asmallorange.com
    Aussie Bob's own - www.dotable.com (a little over budget, but well worth listing)

Mainly the big hosts don't have cheap prices unless you pay some time in advance really, so small hosts are the way to go for cheap monthly prices, however that's a different area all together and it may get a bit riskier, the hosts I have listed have stable reviews and are suggested by many. Search the forum offers section, and then do some real extensive research if you want to go for a small host.

Overselling in a small host in big amounts can be risky, as they don't have the servers to accomodate the actual real users of the quota they get. There's stories of people using more than half of what dreamhost offer with no complaints. These stories in small hosts variant are rare, if seen at all.

I hope I have helped, and may your hosting adventures go your way.

Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by Swizi; 12-24-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizi View Post
    Aren't there still coupons floating around for Dreamhost? If I recall, there were some great deals on those.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

Dreamhost would not be my first pick. They have been known to make some great deals when paid in advance, but they have a very customized hosting environment that is unique to them, and certainly have their share of negative reviews.

If you go with a host that offers cpanel, it will be a lot easier to change hosts should that become necessary.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy Profitable 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

If you plan to move in the future to a different host, then I suggest you to go for a Cpanel, the move to another Cpanel host it's very easy.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If you want to go the paid-hosting way, you can use the ASO basic plan, it's very cheap and you'll have all you need.

I would check out www.webhostingstuff.com to compare some hosts side by side and also get some reviews from other customers of their service.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

Raise your budget - 5GB of disk will cost more then 8$/mth at a quality host.

Regards,

here's what you can find

with that money and needs....i'm pretty sure you can find good deals at the top web hosting companies...check what they offer and make a choice
    Last edited by bear; 12-24-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elliotcol View Post

Lunarpages itself has had quite a few negative reviews lately. It's not the fact that they are oversellers, but they are doing something else to get the negative reviews.
    Indeed while they may have had a good reputation in past I am pretty nervous when a host's negative reviews triple in the last 6 months. Plus after they inserted ads into their paying member's 404 pages also makes me doubt their financial status. While I may not mind and oversellers I am not about to hop onto a sinking ship either.

The above posts really haven't helped you (sig spam). So I may as well SUGGEST a host or 6.

Try these:
    www.dreamhost.com
    www.hostgator.com
    www.crucialp.com

The three have mixed reviews, excluding crucialp, they seem to be lacking reviews. I do however only have good things to say about them.

So I'll list a few more:
    www.mediatemple.com
    www.asmallorange.com
    Aussie Bob's own - www.dotable.com (a little over budget, but well worth listing)

Mainly the big hosts don't have cheap prices unless you pay some time in advance really, so small hosts are the way to go for cheap monthly prices, however that's a different area all together and it may get a bit riskier, the hosts I have listed have stable reviews and are suggested by many. Search the forum offers section, and then do some real extensive research if you want to go for a small host.

Overselling in a small host in big amounts can be risky, as they don't have the servers to accomodate the actual real users of the quota they get. There's stories of people using more than half of what dreamhost offer with no complaints. These stories in small hosts variant are rare, if seen at all.

I hope I have helped, and may your hosting adventures go your way.

Merry Christmas.
    Many many thanks. A useful post!

Dreamhost is "meh" while their plans look great I am not into long term commitments till I tried them for at least a year.

I was looking for HostGator but after googling "HostGator Review" the amount of crazy positives was kinda fishy. A "too good to be true" kinda thing and upon searching these forums I didn't find many useful threads from anyone who has been there for more than a month.

Crucual looks good but I haven't heard much. I think I will do a forum search on em.

As for small hosts I gave them a stab... twice. While one was fine another 0.o;; I think I got my 2 year contract bought and sold no less than 4 times and then eventually I lost control of my domain name after making the mistake of registering it though my host as their "free lifetime" one.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Raise your budget - 5GB of disk will cost more then 8$/mth at a quality host.

Regards,
    If I am gonna be paying anything more than $8 then I will go all the way and just pay the $15-$18 a month for ValueWeb/Costco. I have worked with them through one of my clients and they are amazing. While plans are expensive thing their 24/7 phone support was unmatched by any host I used. I was calling in at like 3 AM and they were actually willing to help me. Phone support kicks the carp out of ticket systems most hosts use.

Really at that price support is a big deal for me so if I am ever paying more than $10 it will be with them. They treated me very well and actually customer support is quite the change for me and if I ever need a premium host I will use/recommend them.
    Last edited by Ariolander; 12-24-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariolander View Post
    Indeed while they may have had a good reputation in past I am pretty nervous when a host's negative reviews triple in the last 6 months. Plus after they inserted ads into their paying member's 404 pages also makes me doubt their financial status. While I may not mind and oversellers I am not about to hop onto a sinking ship either.

Many many thanks. A useful post!

Dreamhost is "meh" while their plans look great I am not into long term commitments till I tried them for at least a year.

I was looking for HostGator but after googling "HostGator Review" the amount of crazy positives was kinda fishy. A "too good to be true" kinda thing and upon searching these forums I didn't find many useful threads from anyone who has been there for more than a month.

Crucual looks good but I haven't heard much. I think I will do a forum search on em.

As for small hosts I gave them a stab... twice. While one was fine another 0.o;; I think I got my 2 year contract bought and sold no less than 4 times and then eventually I lost control of my domain name after making the mistake of registering it though my host as their "free lifetime" one.

If I am gonna be paying anything more than $8 then I will go all the way and just pay the $15-$18 a month for ValueWeb/Costco. I have worked with them through one of my clients and they are amazing. While plans are expensive thing their 24/7 phone support was unmatched by any host I used. I was calling in at like 3 AM and they were actually willing to help me. Phone support kicks the carp out of ticket systems most hosts use.

Really at that price support is a big deal for me so if I am ever paying more than $10 it will be with them. They treated me very well and actually customer support is quite the change for me and if I ever need a premium host I will use/recommend them.
    Like The Hosting Team said, Dreamhost coupons are floating around.

A quick search on google returned these:
    * SAVE35 - $35 off your entire order on all plans.
    Best Use: Monthly Payment Plans.
    * DHSAVE55 - up to $55 off your entire order no all plans
    Best Use: Yearly payment plans.
    * upto95off - up to $95 off 1 and 2 year payment plans.
    Best Use: yearly and 2 year payment plans.
    Here's a website dedicated to coupons: http://couponsnexus.com/hosting-coup...ared-Hosting/D

There you are.

Having too many reviews about a company can and cant be fishy. Can be fishy when it's websites that do not require a domain to confirm that it's hosted with hostgator. Can't be fishy when they do require one.

You really don't have much to lose if you just signup for a month.
    The prices with hosting these days is for a standard Subway meal or a fancy cup of coffee/tea.

Here are some facts and some info from personal experiences with Lunarpages hosting:

I was with them for several years. At first they were good but quality and service have declined.

Aside from some minor problems, I found that communication was often difficult (as if they couldn't read or figure out what was being explained).

At one point the log files (cumulative gz file) just had quit... when I discovered this think it had been dead for a couple weeks... took them quite a while to fix the problem -- it affected the log for my site and for a friend who was also hosted on same server, and I suspect for all customers on the server.

About a year ago they implemented a new requirement that all customers must change passwords every 6 months. This was not initially required when any of us signed up. LP implemented this requirement supposedly because a few sites were being hammered and were being broken into. We never had any problems and were happy with our passwords. We had no need to change. Plus with owher or user and a maintenance person such requirement can be a nuisance if one has to do a password change, give to the other person, etc, and that leads to insecurity and writing down of passwords and can lead to inaccessibility. We all felt that requirement was not necessary and was unacceptible. LP could have done other tasks to cure their problems -- which was not affecting us.

In the case of my lady friend who also left LP. Apparently LP staff must have done a change on her server that caused her spamassassin to quit functioning. For at least a week I tried through cpanel and the config for s/a and could not get it to work again for her. She was originally getting 1 to 5 spam that might have gotten through. Relatively normal. Then she started getting 50 or more in morning and later in day about the same again. And nothing would stop it. She left LP for new hosting.

A friend of mine also moved away from LP hosting. Upon getting everything up on the new host the DNS was changed. There were two separate hosting accounts at LP and they were both to be terminated. An email was sent to LP and then a fax was sent to LP giving all of the details (acct login, password, server name, main domain) for each of the two accounts, plus name, address, and phone number, and on the fax the signature was provided. Would you believe that several emails went back and forth. Seemed to be a lot of double talk (so to speak). ALL INFO has been given to them. Both accounts are due to expire (about a month apart) but LP has only confirmed the notice of termination for the one account, not for the other. And they have yet to confirm the request to remove all personal info afterwards. Don't want them to automatically renew either account --- they should not have the card number on file but they may not have deleted the credit card number after payment had been made. Both accounts were requested to be set to check/invoice billing after payments had been made. So for this friend, the issue of terminating an account seems to be a difficulty. (This friend was the one who also suffered loss of several weeks log file activity too.)

If one checks the LP website it says (or did say) 24/7 support, but that is not applicable to phone support.

With declining quality and support that is less than what it should be, I can see why they have a "no refund policy" in their terms (which we have all discovered later). First 30 days you might be ok to get a refund.... but after that you may be out of luck... even if it is due to declining product quality and declining support. Of course one would have the option of taking action for false advertising or product that is not as advertised.

A recent check of their forum..... it used to have a topic named
    LP web hosting - general -- review and feedback
    but it seems that such critter is no longer visisble or viewable to the general public. New users to the LP forum can no longer see that catagory, and apparently it had comments of dissatisfaction in there. Guess they don't want the general public to view bad stuff.

As far as comments go that are favorable, such as those which some sites (not only hosts) in which people give "raves" and "thumbs ups" and similar.... I read at the FTC.GOV site that such comments are rather meaningless. How true! One can never know if a comment has been paid for or if it is real. Just alike John, Mary, or Bill, on television saying how great a product is. Yup tell me another story! It's the bad stuff that should be shown and it should not be blocked by anyone. If there wasn't a reason then it wouldn't be written.

Since myself and a few of my friends have left LP hosting, my own research hints that they may also be spamming some of the SE's in that lunarservers also goes to the LP page. That is not right! And how many other domains might they have doing similar.

Hope that my own experiences and that of my friends can help in making a choice for a new host. When checking out a new service I can only suggest searching the SE's for any possible complaints, check the Better Business Bureaus (most are online), read their terms of service (download and read offline fully).

Again, too let me say that for each of us that LP started out good and it seems that as they've grown that quality etc has just declined. For most if not all problems that any of us experienced those problems were caused by LP and were not caused by ourselves.

Like The Hosting Team said, Dreamhost coupons are floating around.

A quick search on google returned these:

Here's a website dedicated to coupons: http://couponsnexus.com/hosting-coup...ared-Hosting/D

There you are.

Having too many reviews about a company can and cant be fishy. Can be fishy when it's websites that do not require a domain to confirm that it's hosted with hostgator. Can't be fishy when they do require one.

You really don't have much to lose if you just signup for a month.
    The prices with hosting these days is for a standard Subway meal or a fancy cup of coffee/tea.
    Many thanks for the coupons now suddenly tis more appealing.

As for reviews why I think too many can be fishy is because I have seen more than one not so scrupulous host run contests/give stuff away in exchange for positive reviews by their members. I know in one of my old host's monthly newsletters they offered a month free for a positive review on one site.

Since then I always have given hosts with too many reviews a double take.

Also thanks moonriver for the confirmation of my fears. I know I read that about their forums and their suppressing of negative comments several times here as well.

Glad to see my decision to avoid my former first choice was founded T_T