Question Help Me Decide - Please

I'm launching a new Drupal powered website and I'm wondering if I should upgraded from shared hosting and put it on a VPS or Dedicated server. I currently host most of my sites on shared accounts, because they are low traffic and small sites...but with this new site I would like the ability to scale and grow it large over time.

So here is what I'm wrestling with: do I host it on a shared account to save money for a while until traffic picks up (several months probably) - then switch to something better. OR, is it wiser to put it on something solid now (dedicated server) and not make changes later. What would you do?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Find a provider that can scale your site as it's necessary - start with the shared/semi-dedicated and then go from there.

Best Regards,

From the sounds of it, a webhost that allows the ability for a site to grow, from Shared, to Reseller to Dedicated or whatever steps taken, would best suit you.

If you feel confident that you can attract what you need to make a dedicated server purchase worth the money, by all means go that way instead.

For me however, I like to start small, while thinking big. Knowing that I have the ability to grow and expand over time is a great asset. The future is unknown imo and I would rather invest a small portion up front and let it grow and prosper or if I have to, kill it and know that I didn't waste a lot of money upfront.

That's just the way I am towards something like this. Obviously we're all different. Good luck in your choice and whichever web host you decide to go with as there are many out there that can suit your needs.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz_ View Post
    From the sounds of it, a webhost that allows the ability for a site to grow, from Shared, to Reseller to Dedicated or whatever steps taken, would best suit you.
    thanks for your feedback! right now i'm using cpanel...and if move to a vps or dedicated that also uses cpanel moving from host-to-host should be very easy. the shared host i have right now probably would not be my first choice for vps or dedicated. - so i'd have to switch hosts for that.

If your site use a lot of cpu resource, then i suggest going for a dedi or VPS.

But if your site only require high bandwidth or space, a shared plan is also good.

I haven't had experience with VPS's or Dedicated Servers, but I believe they give you the option for VPS and Dedicated to have cPanel installed on your server so yeah, you shouldn't have much problems moving if that is the case.

Yeah, I think it would be wise to allocate some funds in the event that if you were to stay Shared for a bit, but your website took a major increase in traffic, you can handle paying the costs in time should you upgrade. I doubt it'll be a problem, but it's just something to keep in the back of your mind

Quote Originally Posted by kaiba910 View Post
    If your site use a lot of cpu resource, then i suggest going for a dedi or VPS.

But if your site only require high bandwidth or space, a shared plan is also good.
    honestly, i'm not sure how much cpu it will use...

what typically requires lots of cpu?

I think things like, forums, certain scripts. If your forum has a lot of users, con-current users can spike CPU sometimes I think. Certain scripts might be coded improperly that uses more CPU than it really should as so many people are accessing it.

There's a lot of course, these seem to be some of the ones brought up a lot though.

OR, is it wiser to put it on something solid now (dedicated server) and not make changes later. What would you do?
    I think that you'd better solve your problems as soon as they appears.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Don't buy a dedicated/vps server yet. If your site grows you can always upgrade with out a problem. You will just loose alot of money if you get a dedicated server right now.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Don't buy a dedicated/vps server yet. If your site grows you can always upgrade with out a problem. You will just loose alot of money if you get a dedicated server right now.

- Daniel
    one concern i have with staying on a shared server is the inability to handle a traffic spike.

for example, if this new site got coverage on a widely read blog or on the tv news or something like that - the shared hosting would probably not handle the traffic?

so...while i might be saving money on the shared hosting with no spikes in traffic - if the site crashes during a traffic spike i've really lost money. any thoughts??

You should currently stick with your shared host.
    As time goes by and traffic increases you might want to switch to a dedicated server.

If your host has upgrade options then that is great, if not - you might want to switch to a host that does.

About the traffic spike, you usually won't loose much with a shared server.

Lets say you get a sudden traffic spike (probably won't happen)..
    The worst thing that will happen is that you will loose out on one day of traffic...

On the other hand, if you think that you will often have traffic spikes then you may want to switch to dedicated hosting as soon as possible, although I can't see how a new site would get such a significant spike in traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by Crim50 View Post
    one concern i have with staying on a shared server is the inability to handle a traffic spike.

for example, if this new site got coverage on a widely read blog or on the tv news or something like that - the shared hosting would probably not handle the traffic?

so...while i might be saving money on the shared hosting with no spikes in traffic - if the site crashes during a traffic spike i've really lost money. any thoughts??
    Hmm. I had a shared account and i hit the digg frontpage and got many hits. The server didn't go down. I would still recommend you stay with a shared host. Try to find ones that don't over sell. If you see 4000gb of BW than thats way over selling.

Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

You said you have multiple sites. Yes it could scale. What I would do if your strongly considering a VPS, and plan on adding more sites aswell, get a VPS and host them all on the VPS.

Other than that, if you don't want them all on one server, then go with a shared to start with and upgrade later.

You're probably best off keeping your shared account and then moving to vps/dedi when you're no longer within the operating limits of your shared hosting account, there's no reason for you to divert from shared hosting when you're site isn't even established yet.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

I think you should get at least a VPS server. If you think your website is going to grown so fast why wait until problems happen so it can delay it even more.

Thanks everyone for the replies...in reality I think shared hosting will be ok for at least the next few months. If all goes to plan, I'll need to upgrade then. I'm still thinking of upgrading perhaps to VPS to launch the site, just so I can sleep better at night and not worry so much about if my site has enough resources allocated etc..