Western Digital or Seagate?

We have been using primarily Western Digital drives in all of our server (Raid Edition Series "YS) but have had some problems recently with failing drives, or SMART errors on drives that were only a month or two old. I'm beginning to think maybe Seagate is a better choice?

Based on all of the experience out there, which way do most of you lean...WD or Seagate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension4 View Post
    We have been using primarily Western Digital drives in all of our server (Raid Edition Series "YS) but have had some problems recently with failing drives, or SMART errors on drives that were only a month or two old. I'm beginning to think maybe Seagate is a better choice?

Based on all of the experience out there, which way do most of you lean...WD or Seagate?
    I've found drive reliability to be pretty similar amongst all manufacturers. Te big problem we're running into with WD is their broken NCQ implementation. Many kernel versions will cause constant timeouts on the WD Sata2 drives. The only way to fix this is to edit drivers/ata/libata-core.c in the linux kerneland add a line like this:

{ "WDC WD3200AAJS-00RYA0", "12.01B01", ATA_HORKAGE_NONCQ, } in the hard drive blacklist, and recompile the kernel, which really sucks.

WD isn't alone in it's broken NCQ implementation, however. Before you buy a drive search for it's model # and "NCQ blacklist" in google, see if anybody is having sata timeouts with it.

We personally have used WD RE's in all of our servers and haven't had any issues to date with drives failing. I guess it may depend on which exact model you have or maybe you just had a bad batch. I remember when we bought about 40 WD2500YS's, we had a batch of 3 that were bad right off the bat, but with their advanced replacement it was real easy to get new ones. That is the only issue we have seen with them.

Have you looked at the Hitachi drives?

We are seeing higher failure rates on some seagate drives so we are using WD still very little failing from the WD's

Afternoon:

We use mostly Seagate drives as they have proven to be more reliable than Western Digital. Plus, their standard warranty length is 5 years and support is easy to deal with in case of a problem.

Everyone is going to have different experiences with each brand of drive. Just make sure to do your research and pick the drive that works best for your situation. Good luck!
    TradeViceroy

Yes, Western Digital offers a 5 year warranty on their RE drives now too, it is always nice to have that.

I can't comment on Western Digital, but we have over 200 Seagate SATA drives spinning at the moment, and have only had 1 fail in the last 3 years.

One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of brand, hard drives are going to fail. When you ask about hard drive brands, you'll generally get conflicting advice from people. In reality, the failure rate should be similar among the different brands, unless there is a serious engineering defect.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Some WDC RE2 drives require a firmware update.
    See support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=15&swid=57

Even if not in a RAID setup, the affected drives: WD1600YS, WD2500YS, WD4000YS & WD5000YS can hang up in normal use.

I had a long story to get these drives updated better suited for another thread, but in short, you'll need a DOS floppy and run the updater. No data loss is expected, but you may want to backup your data anyway.

Out of the two I would go with Western Digital. Seagate's seem to be hit and miss depending on which factory they come out from.

Both brands are pretty good. We have a lots drives from WD and Seagate. Non of them is fail until now. But if the price is the same between the two brands, I will choose Seagate!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

WD FTW! After Maxtor aquisition from Seagate, I don't trust any of their engineers. Maxtor harddrives sucks ***!

Whatever is cheapest that is not maxtor. Just buy a couple spares to be safe.

I had a Seagate drive fail in my work PC. Luckily it was part of a RAID1 array - otherwise I might have lost everything! The speed was good (SATA 7,200, built >3 years ago), but I replaced the drives with Western Digital earlier this month.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

We prefer Western Digital because, in our experience, they have been more reliable than our Seagate drives.