Installing subversion, cannot find -lexpat

I just can't seem to get subversion installed for apache 2.2
    I tried now for 3 days and this is most common error i get. I get this while having the src for apr, apr-util, neon and zlib in the install dir. I also get it when i only have the neon package in the dir, and use the --with-apr arguments on the configure.

I have tried deleting the lib.so files (in /usr/local/lib/) and then running the autogen.sh

All no luck, this what i get:

cd subversion/svn && /bin/sh /downloads/subversion-1.4.5/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -pthread -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DNE_LFS -rpath /usr/local/lib -o svn add-cmd.o blame-cmd.o cat-cmd.o checkout-cmd.o cleanup-cmd.o commit-cmd.o copy-cmd.o delete-cmd.o diff-cmd.o export-cmd.o help-cmd.o import-cmd.o info-cmd.o list-cmd.o lock-cmd.o log-cmd.o main.o merge-cmd.o mkdir-cmd.o move-cmd.o notify.o propdel-cmd.o propedit-cmd.o propget-cmd.o proplist-cmd.o props.o propset-cmd.o resolved-cmd.o revert-cmd.o status-cmd.o status.o switch-cmd.o unlock-cmd.o update-cmd.o util.o ../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_diff/libsvn_diff-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la /downloads/subversion-1.4.5/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la /downloads/subversion-1.4.5/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la -liconv /downloads/subversion-1.4.5/apr/libapr-1.la -luuid -lrt -lcrypt -lpthread -ldl /downloads/subversion-1.4.5/neon/src/libneon.la -lz
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lexpat
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What distribution are you using? You should be able to install expat from a repo.

Install yum and run the command below to install subversion.

yum install subversion subversion-devel
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

I did the yum install:

Installed: subversion.i386 0:1.1.4-2.ent subversion-devel.i386 0:1.1.4-2.ent
    Dependency Installed: apr-devel.i386 0:0.9.4-24.9 apr-util-devel.i386 0:0.9.4-21 cyrus-sasl-devel.i386 0:2.1.19-14 expat-devel.i386 0:1.95.7-4 openldap-devel.i386 0:2.2.13-8.el4_6.2
    Complete!
    [[email protected] ~]# svn help
    svn: symbol lookup error: svn: undefined symbol: svn_ra_initialize

Remove the installed subverion packages using,

yum remove subversion subversion-devel

Try installing the rpm from here.
    http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Problem is that it uses apr 0.9x and apache 2.2 1.x so it isnt compatible (had it working earlier but i had mod_dav_svn problems). Any idea where such kind of files with apr 1+ are located?

cd to the neon directory do the ./configure --enable-shared, make and make install manually then cd back up and dont make clean, compile again. Should work. I had the same problem not long ago

Felosi I guess that helped.

I ended up removing all libsvn files, doing that configure and installing again.
    I also had to add /usr/lib/apache to ld.so.conf

Thanks guys!

Or just install package libexpat1-dev or equivalent for your linux distribution - worked for me!