Thumbs up How Much Money Needed ? And How to Start?

2 simple questions, with a simple brief..

Briefing:

I have a 5 figure budget and i am looking to advance in creating a hosting company. I am to provide affordable and quality hosting with free, fast and efficient customer support staff.

Questions:

How much money should i spend to get the company going.. ?
    Should i market the company everywhere at once (Advert Blitzing) ?
    What should i get before launching the company ?

Thanks,

Sam
    Sam Johan,
    Founder - CEO,
    PureInsure - Insuring The Hosting Industry.

Hi, Sam.

I'd recommend targeting one or several niches, which will be easier markets to reach than the market of "all potential hosting customers". The back-end infrastructure is important, but I think the marketing front end is more important especially for a startup. Reaching your potential customers will make or break your business; once you do reach them, of course you need good equipment and service. But without the customers, the equipment will just gather dust.

So what should you get before launching? I'd say develop your initial marketing plan as first priority, and also include the back end issues and how you'll get them addressed.

Good luck - it's an exciting moment when you plan and launch a new venture.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

Starting a web hosting company now a days is literally child's play. Anyone can get started with everything needed for very little money.

The expensive and challenging part is getting the customers. Advertise...advertise...advertise....

I agree with the post above...it's best to target a certain niche and work at becoming an expert in that area. For example we mostly specialize in ShoutCast Server hosting so when I go out looking for some affordable advertising to meet our budget I look for the places on the net where people in need of a ShoutCast server would be looking. Targetted marketing is the key and the more money you can throw into it the faster your company will grow as a result.

i think....

i think the most important thing is the ADVERTISEMENT you can generate...i mean you really have to put your site in the top of all the search engines and get links back to your site...and most of all you have have a good looking website, that's something that is going to relieve your possible costumer

thanks alot guys.. i have started to plan my new hosting venture already taking your advice into careful consideration!

Sam.
    Sam Johan,
    Founder - CEO,

I think you should start out with a free hosting service as a means to attract attention. Later, when you get huge amounts of daily traffic, you can consider paid hosting. In order to make revenue from the free hosting service, you can put ads on the websites.

where could i get a script to provide free hosting ?
    Sam Johan,
    Founder - CEO,

Quote Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
    where could i get a script to provide free hosting ?
    And it falls apart...

http://www.ihostdev.com has a pretty good free-hosting script that lets you put ads and such in automatically and its very cheap, but you should have figured this stuff out before assembling your "5 figure budget"

My 5 figure budget is a budget, and therefor is a guideline for what i will spend.. it does not include what i will spend it on.. or an exact amount of what i will spend.

However, thanks for the link.

Sam.
    Sam Johan,
    Founder - CEO,

we went with layeredpanel but i would contact 110mb and get there updated version of layeredpanel.

Thanks adult
    Sam Johan,
    Founder - CEO,

I started out with nothing, but that was in 1997, times have changed. But how to get started? I will suggest the cheapest way, get a reseller account to learn the ropes. That doesn't need much money. I would say prepare 6 months expenses, where you may get zero income and still incurred the expenses of hosting, advertising etc. This is just off the cuff estimation. But prepare for the worse while working towards the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondeer View Post
    I started out with nothing, but that was in 1997, times have changed. But how to get started? I will suggest the cheapest way, get a reseller account to learn the ropes. That doesn't need much money. I would say prepare 6 months expenses, where you may get zero income and still incurred the expenses of hosting, advertising etc. This is just off the cuff estimation. But prepare for the worse while working towards the best.
    True. very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
    Thanks adult
    No problem, Layeredpanel has a Version2 coming out sometime in Jan or Feb