Thread: IRC prohibited?

IRC prohibited?

I've noticed a general trend where hosting companies specify whether or not IRC servers are allowed. Why is this? Isn't IRC just a simply chat client, why would it be prohibited?

Thanks,
    Matkin

IRC is a well known DDoS magnet, and that can easily take most of a network down if large enough.

The risk of that and the damage it can cause is not worth it to most companies.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    IRC is a well known DDoS magnet, and that can easily take most of a network down if large enough.

The risk of that and the damage it can cause is not worth it to most companies.
    That and a very high number of orders for irc related servers are fraud.
    Its defintely more trouble then its worth.

Fraudulent orders, client demographics, DDoS, IP usage....
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrohosting View Post
    Fraudulent orders, client demographics, DDoS, IP usage....
    everything is a target of fraud.

Phishing? Wanna disable smtp and http too?

Some warez people use stolen cards, although it's against general scene policy because it brings really serious attention. Wanna disable all FTP usage too?

IP usage is the same as most anonymous ftp, and ssl hosts.

and the bit about ddos isn't completely true. That's an easy block if it's all from one source. Websites are just as easy to ddos too, because the attackers are more angry because the content is so available to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    everything is a target of fraud.

Phishing? Wanna disable smtp and http too?

Some warez people use stolen cards, although it's against general scene policy because it brings really serious attention. Wanna disable all FTP usage too?

IP usage is the same as most anonymous ftp, and ssl hosts.

and the bit about ddos isn't completely true. That's an easy block if it's all from one source. Websites are just as easy to ddos too, because the attackers are more angry because the content is so available to the general public.
    Wow, that response is a bit much. So you must obviously be a shell host or sell shell servers?

So what if hosts or networks dont wanna deal with it? The fact remains that irc is a LOT more prone to ddos then any other service. Websites get ddosed sure, but with supporting irc you will see a lot more ddos on that service.

No one is talking about everyone should disable such and such. The OP asked why most hosts didnt support IRC. So go send a mail or contact any host or network that does NOT support irc, ask why and a majority of the answers will be pertaining to ddos, malicious activity, and fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by felosi View Post
    Wow, that response is a bit much. So you must obviously be a shell host or sell shell servers?

So what if hosts or networks dont wanna deal with it? The fact remains that irc is a LOT more prone to ddos then any other service. Websites get ddosed sure, but with supporting irc you will see a lot more ddos on that service.

No one is talking about everyone should disable such and such. The OP asked why most hosts didnt support IRC. So go send a mail or contact any host or network that does NOT support irc, ask why and a majority of the answers will be pertaining to ddos, malicious activity, and fraud.
    I don't do either. I just work at a datacenter, and talk to you on aim under a previously secret identity.

They can do whatever they want with their network, they should at least try to consider another person's point of view in their decision, and I was merely helping them accomplish that boundry that so many others have considered impossible.

For the providers that allow it, you'd have to notify the host prior to the server setup that you're going to be using it for IRC. Some would put you on a different network and some have to do tweaking on their end.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Thanks for the good replies folks, I appriciate it.

Well For Who Read this thread eyes only, If IRC = Target of DDoS, then WEBSERVER should not be around, why ? because the DDoS comes from exploited PHP, SQL and many more, but the easiest are php, sql.

So let's say who brings the DDoS Things up? The WebServer Right ? What's IRC use for? Chats? how much bandwidth they consume? Not more than 500 GB allowance per month?

THis is my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, by the way, after those exploiters get in php or sql, they will have your Credit Card Number, if that site happens to be a merchant site.

Enjoy.

There is just too much use for DDoS on an IRCd... or at least there was. People would cause netsplits to steal OPs, or regain OPs in opless channels. There are also the morons talk trash and the script kiddy to start DDoSing people.

More often than not, the best way to clear out a channel is to DDoS all the servers that the OPs are on, rather than each individual user... then the channel would become OPless until you can cause a netsplit and steal OPs... you get the idea.

IRCd's are also used to house drones, and pirated "warez", but who can you really hold accountable? If the content is on a webserver, you can hold the owner accountable.

long story short, IRC != webserver... I know The Planet allows IRCds as long as they are not linked with other IRCds... I know it's not much, but its better than no IRCd at all.

Quote Originally Posted by faze View Post
    There is just too much use for DDoS on an IRCd... or at least there was. People would cause netsplits to steal OPs, or regain OPs in opless channels. There are also the morons talk trash and the script kiddy to start DDoSing people.

More often than not, the best way to clear out a channel is to DDoS all the servers that the OPs are on, rather than each individual user... then the channel would become OPless until you can cause a netsplit and steal OPs... you get the idea.

IRCd's are also used to house drones, and pirated "warez", but who can you really hold accountable? If the content is on a webserver, you can hold the owner accountable.

long story short, IRC != webserver... I know The Planet allows IRCds as long as they are not linked with other IRCds... I know it's not much, but its better than no IRCd at all.
    timestamping protocol
    semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    timestamping protocol
    *was*

He's talking about legacy stuff here