Disabling Email on VPS

Hello All,
    I have decided to use a third party exchange box for email accounts and therefore I wish to disable all email related services on the VPS to save resources.

So far I have disabled the following services in "service manager' in WHM

antirelayd
    exim
    eximstats
    imap
    pop

As well as deleting mail folders from all of the home directories.

Seems to be working fine just wanted to bend your ear to see if I missed anything? More free resources the better!

Happpy Holidays

Make sure you didn't forget spamd (SpamAssassin), that is usually the most memory intensive mail app you have ;-).

Got spamd! Thanks for that. I should still be able to use sendmail locally correct? For things like cgiemail etc?

Yes sendmail should still work or you can install mailx which is nice as well and doesn't run a daemon.

You must be using cPanel. I had to stop using cPanel because they hogged too many resources. I'm now with DirectAdmin and would NEVER go back!
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

Also, don't forget boxtrapper!

Have to admit I was a little let down by the amount of resources saved.....~50 megs or so

I have 2gigs on this vps so I guess it really shouldn't matter that much. I am too new to the whole sys admin role to use webmin!
    Last edited by paulg1981; 12-24-2007 at 02:46 AM.

DirectAdmin and Webmin are two completely separate systems. With a base install of cPanel your easily at 512mbs of used ram. I'm running some intense websites and only using 110mbs or ram on my DA machine.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

You have to remember, Cpanel includes Spamd as well which uses about 40MB of memory per process. Spamd is not enabled by default on DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin is a little lighter but running the same configuration you should only save about 50mb of RAM from Cpanel to DirectAdmin.

I too love DirectAdmin, but Cpanel really doesn't hog resources, it just includes a lot more. You can disable a lot of features with cpanel and run it on a 256MB VPS if you needed to, it just isn't recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
    Got spamd! Thanks for that. I should still be able to use sendmail locally correct? For things like cgiemail etc?
    Sendmail is actually "exim", so you should leave that demon running i guess to mantain compatibility with softwares using standard php mail function. Someone correct me if i'm wrong :-)

You could also disable clamd (the antivirus), unless you plan to keep it running for use into the cpanel file manager. It should free around 30mb.

To give you an idea, that's my 384mb vps (1gb burst) with cpanel 11-release at the moment :

--
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1048576 127980 920596 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 127980 920596
    Swap: 0 0 0
    up 22:01, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.13, 0.10
    --

Under decent load it goesn't over 200mb, the maximum i've ever reached is 304mb used ram under sort-of-digg. I run apache 1.3.9 with php 5.2.4 and xcache opcode caching engine + xcache module for wordpress.
    All the websites run wordpress (4000uniques/day, no more than 50gb transfer/mo, so not a busy box, but i like to keep things running smoothly).

I've disabled everything not useful, ftp server, spamd, clamd, imap, pop. I've left exim, mysql, apache running.

And yes, directadmin is way leaner in my opinion, i love it. cPanel is overengineered, even if the 11 version is not *that* bad as i remembered.
    "I want" never gets ...