Looking for guidance

I'm considering purchasing a VPS package. I don't know if I should though. Currently, I am with ResellerZoom and I am very unhappy with their level of support. Previously, I was with hostingplex.com under a regular shared hosting plan and was very unhappy with their support.

At first, ResellerZoom had good support, but it is ending 1 year with them and my sites have gone down 4 or 5 times. Their online chat is barely available when there is a problem, and even then most of the time their response is "submit a ticket".

I originally got a reseller plan for two reasons:

1. To host my website, my fathers, and any future ones that I wanted. I also wanted the ability to offer free websites to realtors that I work with (I'm a mortgage broker). I haven't done it yet but I want that option.

2. I thought that by going with resellerzoom (recommended by users on this site last year), I would be able to have a hosting company on autopilot (because they offer end user support).

I'm glad that I didn't do that because their support is aweful and I would've gotten a bad name pretty quick!

Anyway... I've been thinking of getting a VPS. The main reason is that I can have more control over the system. My website(s) are quite slow and I figured with a vps, I can get it going better.

Another reason that I was thinking of it, was that I am going to start implementing an autoresponder program. I'm want to purchase the software and have it running on my server rather than paying a monthly subscription for it through aweber or getresponse or something like that. ResellerZoom has just informed me that if I surpase sending out 400 emails within one hour that they will cut me off. I'm not going to be at that level yet, but I just don't want someone having that much control over my business.

My main income source is mortgage brokering. I'm not looking at reselling as an income generator, but if I can eventually get it so that it pays for itself, I'll be happy. I figure, when I start actually reselling the packages, I'll just outsource the end-user support if I'm on a VPS.

Am I out to lunch here, or does this sound logical?

I don't see them saying they will suspend after sending out more than 400 emails in an hour as being an issue. Most likely if you do need to send this much people are sending spam which is why they would have this limit. Nobody wants spam coming from their network because it causes issues with blacklists.

Also, do you mean your sites have gone down 4 or 5 times in the whole year or they have gone down 4 to 5 times recently? If you have only had 4 or 5 incidents of downtime in a year, I wouldn't really rate that as bad depending on how long it was down for I suppose.

With VPS you need to know a lot more about managing a system, as you have to update, secure, and install the software. Make sure you know how to do this or you are arranging for a fully managed VPS so your host can help you.

It is always better, in my mind, to provide support for your own customers if you can. This way you can get to know your customers and you can monitor exactly how everything is being handled.

Good luck to you.

If site response time is an issue for you, a VPS might or might not be an improvement - it would depend on how good a package you bought. The advantage of a VPS is that it's all yours, so you can use as much of it as you're able - but it's only a piece of a server.
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

I was thinking of getting a fully managed VPS (at least until I learn how to administer a system properly). I'm going to take a couple of Linux Administration courses over the next year.

The times that my sites have been down were 4 or 5, but most of them have happened over the last few months. The biggest problem is not that it goes down, but that I have to wait a while for them to et it back up. Everytime, there has been no one manning their online chat, so I'm forced to submitted a ticket. It is usually on the weekend when it has happened, and one time it took from the Saturday until the monday for them to get it back up.

I would really like to have the control that I can just go and reset the server myself.

Another thing is that I decided to go with the Failover-one plan at RZ because I figured it was better to stay out of the "buget" reseller plans for support. But... There support hasn't been any better.

I was thinking of KnownHost, they seem to have a good rep around here and the price is pretty much the same as what I'm paying now.

Right now I have: 10GB, 200GB bandwidth & 200 domain accounts for $25/mth --> I figure that if I want better service/response times, I'm going to have to pay a little more anyway.

KnownHost has: 10GB, 200GB bandwidth & unlimited domains - except the ram is only 256/768 which I'm not sure if it is enough. This is $30/mth (plus the control panel).

Is seems as though DirectAdmin is the favorite for control panels, so i thought that might be a good choice.

Please, more opinions are appreciated. I just thought that if I'm going to spend more anyways, why not just get a managed VPS, and then there won't be any issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I don't see them saying they will suspend after sending out more than 400 emails in an hour as being an issue.
    I went on their chat last night and asked them. I told them that I wanted to buy some autoresponder software and have it running on my account (instead of paying a subscription fee to getresponse or aweber). They said that it would be fine.

The gentleman that I spoke with that has a specific business model said that he has something like 40000 names in his database (all opt-in). So... I just want to make sure that I am not going to hit a limit as it will be a pain to change later.

The other thing... I don't expect the autoresponder to be much of a problem because the responses go out all at different times of the day. But if I have more than 400 names in my database and i decided to send out an email updating my clients of some industry news or something then it would be a breach. I specifically asked, "if sent out one email blast to say 1500 people and it was within 20mins of each other, but then nothing else, would my account be cancelled, or would they over look the 400+ within an hour?". They outright told me that i would be suspended. I really don't want to risk that.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Most likely if you do need to send this much people are sending spam
    I'm not going to be spamming people (I absolutely hate spam - both sending and receiving). I plan on using this system as CLIENT follow-up for people that I have done mortgages for. As well, other business messages. Including, newsletters, and opt-in free reports.

Quote Originally Posted by zincoxide View Post
    The times that my sites have been down were 4 or 5, but most of them have happened over the last few months. The biggest problem is not that it goes down, but that I have to wait a while for them to et it back up. Everytime, there has been no one manning their online chat, so I'm forced to submitted a ticket. It is usually on the weekend when it has happened, and one time it took from the Saturday until the monday for them to get it back up.

I would really like to have the control that I can just go and reset the server myself.
    Given the above, you might actually be better off with a more responsive shared host. You shouldn't have to wait a whole weekend for a fix. Wanting to learn server admin is a good thing, but that sounds like it should be a separate goal. Sounds to me that your immediate need is just plain reliable hosting, and a good shared host is probably the easiest path to that goal.
    New! Web hosting jobs!

1. Is there any reliable shared hosts that you can recommend?

2. What is usually the reason for getting a vps??

The reason for a VPS would be for isolation and control over the software of your server. For example, you would have root access so you could decide exactly what apache, php, and mysql versions/settings you would want to use. With a shared host you would be left with what they use but it comes with the knowing that if a problem occurs they will fix it, you won't be left to manage the software.

If something comes up with the software on a VPS, it is just like a dedicated server, you are left to fix it or if you go managed the management company will go in and fix it for you but usually a managed VPS is going to be more expensive than a reseller account.

Also, with a VPS, you won't get shut down for hogging the server resources. Well, even that's not 100% true; most VPS hosts do "equal share" CPU, and if you use too much, that will be an issue. There are a few who give each VPS its own specific share of CPU, so with them, your resources really are yours to use.

Regarding shared hosts, I haven't bought any shared hosting in years, so I can't offer a personal recommendation. Which company is right for you is probably best determined by looking at the offers and then searching for reviews of the companies whose offers you like - and then contacting a few on your shortlist to ask them about the issues that concern you and to gauge their responses.
    New! Web hosting jobs!

The biggest problem is not that it goes down, but that I have to wait a while for them to et it back up. Everytime, there has been no one manning their online chat, so I'm forced to submitted a ticket. It is usually on the weekend when it has happened, and one time it took from the Saturday until the monday for them to get it back up.
    Slow, poor service from one shared supplier isn't a good reason to go VPS. You'll still be at the mercy of the host for any node and network problems, and while it's good to be able to go in and restart services when needed, along with the ability you get the responsibility for doing it. So when the VPS goes down at midnight would you prefer to be woken up by your monitoring service or have the site down until morning? Monitoring and proactive restarts are available from some VPS suppliers but they're not generally included in standard management.

OTOH, being able to set up special software and send 400+ emails per hour are excellent reasons for going VPS, so if your longer term plans include those then maybe now would be a good time.

You could start with 256MB - if you don't have much traffic that may well be enough and you can upgrade as needed.

DA is more of a hands-on panel than CPanel, but very clean and lightweight (so better "out of the box" for small VPSs).

HTH
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    OTOH, being able to set up special software and send 400+ emails per hour are excellent reasons for going VPS, so if your longer term plans include those then maybe now would be a good time.

You could start with 256MB - if you don't have much traffic that may well be enough and you can upgrade as needed.

Thanks again for the input... This is a HUGE concern. I am thinking, when I buy this software, that I will open a site like GetResponse or Aweber autoresponer subscriptions. Therefore, I can guarantee (if it goes over well), that I will go over the 400 emails an hour. Maybe not every hour, but definitely a lot of emails.

I can handle my site going down every now and again. I mean technology problems happen, right? The big thing is that I want the support to help me fix it fast! That's one reason I was thinking of a managed vps. From what I have read here, their service is really good.

I like the idea of having full control over my server (even if I don't know how to do it right now). I was thinking of keeping my current reselling plan with RZ but just renew on a monthly plan instead of paying for the year. That way, I can learn the vps thing. I figured that people here (hopefully), can direct me to tutorials and things so that I can get ahead of the learning curve.

Unless the concensus is that I should NOT do this.

I'm not too concerned about the cost of it... I'm mean, it is an issue, but wheather I pay $250/yr or $400/yr, there really isn't that big of a difference. I would rather spend an extra $150/yr and make sure that I have reliable service with GREAT support.

Also... what do you mean by more HANDS ON?

I was thinking of going with WHMCS to automate account creation/terminations and suspensions. Are you referring to that or something else?

Also... what do you mean by more HANDS ON?
    Software updates. With DA it's worth keeping an eye on the DA forum and installing version updates manually as required (you'll find instructions there). CPanel offers more automated updates but if something goes wrong you may wish you'd done it manually
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Okay... I was speaking to the support at webkore.net. They offer reselling plan along with vps and dedicated servers.

They said that there is NO issue with me sending out a ton of emails and that if it was too intensive on the server they would email me before any suspensions happened. BUT that it is not against their TOS. They only ask that I be considerate with it.

I think that this might be a better option until I need to go bigger/more control. What do you think???

They also offer end user support for $5/mth.

Not familiar with them personally, but a provider who can start you off on a reseller plan and move you up to vps/dedicated as needed might be right for you. Ask them about the process of moving up and how seamless they can make it.
    New! Web hosting jobs!