So XBOX customer support is useless?

I bought a new xbox three days ago. The thing was fine until about a couple hours ago. If I put in a CD, DVD, or XBOX game it does not realize I put anything in the drive. There is no error, it just does not realize I put anything in in the first place.

So here is the way my support conversation went.
    1. Wait 20 minutes for their automated bot "MAX" to stop asking stupid questions.
    2. Provide "MAX" with an absurd amount of unnecessary information (such as a very lengthy serial number).
    3. Get a clearly foreign lady on the phone, who asks me what error I am having.
    4. I explain in great detail the issue, and she insists there must be an "error".
    5. She asks me for the very lengthy serial number on the bottom of my XBOX... after I gave it to their automated system.
    6. I tell her she doesn't need my serial number, since there are no files about this XBOX.
    7. She ignores me, and asks again.
    8. I ignore her, and ask for a supervisor.
    9. She hangs up.
    Fabulous.

I'll be bringing it back to Walmart.

It sounds like you weren't really looking for a fix. Yes, its annoying but asking for a serial number is common practice and its just some kind of accident that it didn't carry over from the automated system to the customer service rep. If you had just obliged then maybe she could have helped you?

With that said, Xbox customer service isn't splendid in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
    It sounds like you weren't really looking for a fix. Yes, its annoying but asking for a serial number is common practice and its just some kind of accident that it didn't carry over from the automated system to the customer service rep. If you had just obliged then maybe she could have helped you?

With that said, Xbox customer service isn't splendid in my experience.
    I was really hoping there was a quick fix for the issue. I assumed there wasn't, but I didn't give her a hard time. I know a lot of people get irritated with the chat reps, but that really wasn't my aim. I even went into detail explaining the issue, and after about 10 seconds of silence it occurred to me she just hung up.

Oh well. Apparently walmart has a 14 day return policy on these things.

Even if it is opened?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    Even if it is opened?
    According to the guy who sold it to me. I spoke to him an hour ago about it at the store.

My Xbox died last week. It took about 20 minutes of ramblings through stupid stuff but finally they just sent out a box to pack the Xbox up in to be fixed. I tried to get a 360 Elite of the deal but the jerks wouldn't agree to it.

Quote Originally Posted by HostSentry View Post
    I bought a new xbox three days ago. The thing was fine until about a couple hours ago. If I put in a CD, DVD, or XBOX game it does not realize I put anything in the drive. There is no error, it just does not realize I put anything in in the first place.

So here is the way my support conversation went.
    1. Wait 20 minutes for their automated bot "MAX" to stop asking stupid questions.
    2. Provide "MAX" with an absurd amount of unnecessary information (such as a very lengthy serial number).
    3. Get a clearly foreign lady on the phone, who asks me what error I am having.
    4. I explain in great detail the issue, and she insists there must be an "error".
    5. She asks me for the very lengthy serial number on the bottom of my XBOX... after I gave it to their automated system.
    6. I tell her she doesn't need my serial number, since there are no files about this XBOX.
    7. She ignores me, and asks again.
    8. I ignore her, and ask for a supervisor.
    9. She hangs up.
    Fabulous.

I'll be bringing it back to Walmart.
    Probably the IDE cable wasn't attached properly if it wasn't reading it. I would tell you all of the screws locations and how to remove the casing, but its better you take it back for warranty.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

Sounds like UK support is different to US support then. My XBox died (RROD) last week. I phoned up, spoke to a real person within 20 seconds, gave her my serial (which they do need for warranty reasons), she arranged a pick up and now it's off being fixed/replaced.

I assumed there wasn't, but I didn't give her a hard time.
    Surely not agreeing to answer her questions would be "giving her a hard time".

I tried to get a 360 Elite of the deal but the jerks wouldn't agree to it.
    Assuming you don't already have an Elite why would they agree to give you one just because your original broke?
    Steve

I believe there is a manufacture flaw with the Xbox 360 itself, im a large gamer in spare time and have spoken to numerous people claiming to have what gamers call

"The red rings of death"

Most of the time, it will state the disk is not readable / No disk inserted / Game crashes reasonably quickly upon boot. Otherwise you get hit with the flashing rings. All the people who have suffered from this have had to UPS their parcel back to Xbox for repair. Seems a shame to have to part with the Xbox for a certain time especially due to construction faults, but having said that mine has worked perfectly since repair, so i say no-more.

Goodluck anyhow.
    Dan

oh wow, well looks like its all about the 360 nowadays

return it like you said, and get your money back mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Replicada Hosting View Post
    I believe there is a manufacture flaw with the Xbox 360 itself, im a large gamer in spare time and have spoken to numerous people claiming to have what gamers call

"The red rings of death"

Most of the time, it will state the disk is not readable / No disk inserted / Game crashes reasonably quickly upon boot. Otherwise you get hit with the flashing rings. All the people who have suffered from this have had to UPS their parcel back to Xbox for repair. Seems a shame to have to part with the Xbox for a certain time especially due to construction faults, but having said that mine has worked perfectly since repair, so i say no-more.

Goodluck anyhow.
    Dan
    The 3 red, yellow and green rings are signs of errors on the original xbox, the xbox 360 has 3 of the 4 lights red if there is a system error. I used to work for Future Shop, and out of all the Xbox's + 360's I sold, only 8 were returned for warranty repairs. I owned an older Xbox, and the issue with the disk drives is that the reader "eyepiece" (which is basically the lense to focus the laser), slides forward and can also collect dust, both of which are easy repairs if you have an idea of what you are doing.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

yeah just take it back to walmart and exchange it. As long as everythign that it came with is in there,.they will let you.

I had to do that with mine.I bought it and it didn't work out of the box.i would not send it to microsoft and wait a month and a half for microsoft to fix it.

Anyway, I brought it to walmart where the lady accused me of stealing it because the serial numbers "didnt match". I was there with the credit card I paid with, the reciept, and my ID and she had the nerve to say that.

She realized she was looking at the wrong thing, and I got my refund. No apology though from the lady (who was the store manager).

Oh well, now I've got a new one from gamestop.